User Tag List

First 513141516 Last

But, And, So, Obviously, the real problem here is that not everyone is exactly like you. Why don't you kill everyone else so that the only people left on this planet are YOUs.
    Last edited by ajblaise; 09-11-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: flamingness removed
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INFJ

This publicizing of this is pathetic... this is just a distraction, we must be close to an election cycle. This is what you will get if Obama is taken away! Much like the Republicans trying to use gays and gay marriage as a wedge between moderates and liberals in the democrat party. Scare tactics to illicit emotional responses. Pathetic. Eat it up, red meat for the grinder! pay no attention to the men behind the curtain.
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    But, And, So, Obviously, the real problem here is that not everyone is exactly like you. Why don't you kill everyone else so that the only people left on this planet are YOUs.
    By 'you people' do you mean everyone who has posted in this thread, all Americans, all Christians or what? There has been a pretty wide variety of opinions expressed in this thread or it seems so to me.
    Last edited by Ivy; 09-12-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: removed quoted flameytalk
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

sammy

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    By 'you people' do you mean everyone who has posted in this thread, all Americans, all Christians or what? There has been a pretty wide variety of opinions expressed in this thread or it seems so to me.
    Pretty sure he means by "you people" in a general sense those who think they're being "reasonable" or "rational" about the situation, and complain that the "other side" is being "unreasonable/irrational/crazy/delusional/idiots/etc."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Depends on what one means by "liberal" exactly, and what context you're talking about. For example, Catholicism and Orthodoxy both approach scriptures from an allegorical perspective rather than a literalist(fundamentalist) one. Now while that seems "liberal" to many, it's actually quite the traditional approach. Calling it "liberal" only makes sense within a Protestant perspective.
    Yes, this is an important point. For most of its life Catholicism has been a spoken religion. For instance the Bible was publicly read out in church, the Bible was not read individually.

So Catholicism has a rich spoken tradition that is welcoming to the allegorical perspective.

But with the invention of the printing press in 1440 and the dream of universal literacy, came the individual reading of the Bible and Protestantism.

And with universal literacy came the literal interpretation of the Bible.

But as I write we are moving into the electronic culture which is very much like the spoken culture. And the literal interpretation is seen as quaint. Except of course in the USA which was founded on literacy and the individual reading and interpretation of the Bible.

So the Americans here, with all their power, insist on individualism and literalism and logic. The allegoric passes over their heads.

And the irony is that the electronic medium of Central is undermining them at every step. No wonder they're paranoid because the first casualty of revolution is irony.

The Westboro Baptist Church burned their Qu'ran today. Unfortunately, the media were not interested.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    The Westboro Baptist Church burned their Qu'ran today. Unfortunately, the media were not interested.
    There was no reason for the media to be interested in the first place. Why should anyone care what the Westboro Baptist Church does if it doesn't involve inflicting violence on others?

No one should care, but the media did care in the past few days. I hoped for an amusing war between maniac fundamentalists; now, with the main event having been cancelled and the Westboro idiots being ignored, I got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post

All people who've posted in this thread, excluding myself; however, my post was also meant for you specifically.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    All people who've posted in this thread, excluding myself; however, my post was also meant for you specifically.
    Thanks for the context on that...
    Go to sleep, iguana.