User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Two steps back.... followed by two more steps back?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I don't know about Islam, but in Christian circles the Fundamentalist groups tend to be the newer denominations, while the older denominations tend to be more liberal. For example the Pentacostal movement is fairly recent, while Lutheran and Presbyterian churches are centuries old and fairly liberal (theologically speaking).
    Depends on what one means by "liberal" exactly, and what context you're talking about. For example, Catholicism and Orthodoxy both approach scriptures from an allegorical perspective rather than a literalist(fundamentalist) one. Now while that seems "liberal" to many, it's actually quite the traditional approach. Calling it "liberal" only makes sense within a Protestant perspective.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    hmm interesting, the cancelled the burning event...since the imam group in new york agreed to move the location elsewhere from ground zero location? ...Wonder if I heared that right
    Really? I guess I'll just burn my own then.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    No. We wouldn't say to Hitler, sure, hate the Jews, make speeches, posters, videos, whatever you want because we believe in the freedom of speech
    Why not? Even Hitler should be free to express his opinion and have it subjected to scrutiny. Where do you draw the line? Should we throw people in jail for publicizing the fact that radicals in Iran believe in stoning women to death for getting raped? Wouldn't that incite hatred against them?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Depends on what one means by "liberal" exactly, and what context you're talking about. For example, Catholicism and Orthodoxy both approach scriptures from an allegorical perspective rather than a literalist(fundamentalist) one. Now while that seems "liberal" to many, it's actually quite the traditional approach. Calling it "liberal" only makes sense within a Protestant perspective.
    Yeah we are saying the same thing. The Christian demoninations with most traditional structure have the most liberal theology. It is the new denominations, the least traditional, which have the most Fundamentalist theology. Ironically the Fundamentalist "back to the Bible" approach is the progressive approach. People should expect new Christian movements in the future to have something of a Fundamentalist approach.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    istj

Why dont they put the photos of the members of that church up on the internet as well? Certainly the pastor isnt the only one who is interested in this.
    If Men's Health magazine was true, you would never need to buy more than one issue.

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Springfield Pastor plans to burn Quran

Story

SPRINGFIELD, Tenn. - Springfield Pastor Bob Old said his decision to burn the Islamic holy book on September 11 has nothing to do with the agenda of the pastor in Florida or the controversy surrounding the mosque in New York.

He has his own reasons behind the demonstrations and no intentions of backing down.

"My plans for Saturday are to take a copy of the Quran and burn it," said Old.

He's planning to go forward with the demonstration on 9/11 to be able to make his point and have it heard.

"To the Muslim church I would say the reason I am doing on Saturday because I believe they worship a false god. They have a false text, a false prophet and a false scripture," said Old.

He said the other two reasons are to teach Americans about their constitutional rights and to make them better Christians.

Both General Patraeus and President Obama have spoken out against such demonstrations, worried it will be perceived as an act of hate by Muslims around the world.

But for Old, he asked "How can it be an act of hate when what I am doing is trying to save their souls?"

Military officials worry Old's actions could be putting American lives in danger overseas.

Tanya Fierro, the wife of a Fort Campbell soldier in Afghanistan is upset to hear about Old's plans.

"It's sad because it's a minority, but their actions can be so far reaching and I don't think they understand that," Fierro said.

What's even harder for Fierro to understand is why someone in her own state, who lives just miles from her Tennessee home, would want to put her husband's life and 17,000 other Fort Campbell troops in even more danger while serving their country in a war zone.

"I just want to know that my husband is safe and I wish that more people would stop and say whoa, I need to think about this, it's going to put more lives at risk," said Fierro.

Old answered to Fierro's concerns.

"Does it concern me? I would say to the troops that I would not want to bring any harm to them," Old said.

But he knows it could and that Saturday's demonstration could bring harm to him as well.

Old said he's already had two death threats since he went public with his plans.

"I believe I am right and I am willing to die for that," said Old.

Old plans to burn the Quran on Saturday at noon and post the video on YouTube.com immediately afterwards.
    "Both General Patraeus and President Obama have spoken out against such demonstrations, worried it will be perceived as an act of hate by Muslims around the world.

But for Old, he asked "How can it be an act of hate when what I am doing is trying to save their souls?""

Right, that's exactly how the Muslim world is going to take your "demonstration" - a friendly, hand of hope...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Story

"Both General Patraeus and President Obama have spoken out against such demonstrations, worried it will be perceived as an act of hate by Muslims around the world.

But for Old, he asked "How can it be an act of hate when what I am doing is trying to save their souls?""

Right, that's exactly how the Muslim world is going to take your "demonstration" - a friendly, hand of hope...

Why not? Even Hitler should be free to express his opinion and have it subjected to scrutiny. Where do you draw the line? Should we throw people in jail for publicizing the fact that radicals in Iran believe in stoning women to death for getting raped? Wouldn't that incite hatred against them?
    Hitler did express his opinion and his opinions turned into the Holocaust. The pastor's not going to be thrown in jail. No one said anything about jail. He can talk. We don't have to praise him for opening his mouth and spewing crap though.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post

Hitler did express his opinion and his opinions turned into the Holocaust. The pastor's not going to be thrown in jail. No one said anything about jail. He can talk. We don't have to praise him for opening his mouth and spewing crap though.
    The Holocaust required direct action and policy, not opinion. The best course of action here is to pretend that the media isn't making a big deal out of essentially nothing.