First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Flamingo View Post
    This whole thing is disgusting and idiotic. No books should be burned, ever, religious or otherwise. Not even something as bland and useless as the Twilight series (in my opinion, of course).
    Look, the last thing we need to do is piss off the vampires now... You'll endanger American lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Apparently, the congregation of the church where the Koran burning is to occur is comprised of approximately 50 persons. It seems that the pastor is using this conflagration as a recruitment tool, to get like-minded persons to join his church (hence adding more donations to the collection plate).
    Yeah, that's about the same size as Westboro Baptist.

It's mostly just a publicity stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Freedom of speech is not contingent on no-one being offended. Free speech is sacred to us. Condemning the pastor's views without also expressing support for his right to express them is not being true to our own ideals. We are effectively renouncing some of our rights.
    It's definitely a Catch-22.

As soon as we start censoring ideas, information control belongs to those in power. But once people start abusing their ability to free speech, all we have is a bunch of useless and incoherent white noise.

What to do, what to do...

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    No modern head of state ever asked anyone to please not desecrate a Christian symbol on the grounds that it would cost lives, however. Unlike our current president, who made a similar request vis-a-vis the Koran.
    It would probably be different if Christians had blown up the World Trade Center.

And I'm not sure you can compare dynamics in one country to another, especially with different religions, mixes of nationalities, historical background / sect strife, and so forth.

As another example, the Chinese gov wouldn't ask anyone to not desecrate a Christian symbol because until recently (historically), they just threw Christians in jail to rot.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Christians are not responsible for every dumb redneck the way Muslims aren't responsible for every terrorist.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It would probably be different if Christians had blown up the World Trade Center.
    Yes... I agree... and the operative principle here is that they did not. My point is that while one can find a handful of cases in the modern era in which some sort of militant Christian ideology has driven individuals to perform violent acts, militant Christians are not generally considered a world-wide security risk.

In other words, it's not reasonable to say that Muslim-ideology-driven violence and Christian-ideology-driven violence are comparable. There's no equivalence between the two.

MBTI
    INFP

Idiots, purely and simply.

I haven't read any of this thread other than the OP, but I think equating radical Islam with radical Christianity is a bit harsh if for no other reason than that radical Christians aren't killing as many (any?) people as a result of their beliefs in recent times (yes, I remember the crusades). You're basically saying that some douche who burns Qurans is as bad as some douche who blows up a bunch of people.

Edit: judging by the above post I should've read the rest of the thread to see if my point had been made already, which it looks like it has.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I kind of look at the Christian Fundamentalist/Islamic Fundamentalist thing as simply a matter of time -- they are just a couple hundred years behind us and that they will probably mellow out like we did given time and the opportunity to progress.

Maybe that's naive?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes... I agree... and the operative principle here is that they did not. My point is that while one can find a handful of cases in the modern era in which some sort of militant Christian ideology has driven individuals to perform violent acts, militant Christians are not generally considered a world-wide security risk.
    Okay. So how does that tie into the topic again, and Obama asking people not to burn the Koran?
    Are you saying that is a reasonable request from Obama?

(Sorry, I'm trying to get your point all tied together in my head.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Okay. So how does that tie into the topic again, and Obama asking people not to burn the Koran?
    Are you saying that is a reasonable request from Obama?

(Sorry, I'm trying to get your point all tied together in my head.)
    Follow the chain of quote links back and you'll see that I was replying to ajblaise. That'll put it in context for you.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

My point is that while one can find a handful of cases in the modern era in which some sort of militant Christian ideology has driven individuals to perform violent acts, militant Christians are not generally considered a world-wide security risk.
    You don't remember the troubles in Ireland?

Christian terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Christian fundamentalists can be just as violent - the difference is that religion is (effectively) becoming less and less popular in the west, so the fundamentalists no longer have as much influence. (Christian church attendance in Australia for example is below 7%)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Haven't you heard?

Christians are the only people whose faith you can publically sneer at with impunity.

(This appears to be mainly because the Christians won't strap on ten pounds of C-4 and blow themselves up in your office building, but then that's another issue...)
    Scientology? Judaism? Hinduism? I think you have it backwards. Islam is the religion getting special treatment, not Christianity.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Fixed for you.
    Indeed.

Burning books is stupid: it can release vast amounts of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Instead, let's throw our Bibles and Kurans in the paper recycle bin to protect our forests and children from their nefarious influence.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI