User Tag List

First 12

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I can't afford the farmer's market in my town. It's more of a boutique for yuppies than a place to feed a family. I can cook cheaper than eat out most of the time, but it is not locally grown or organic and the meat is factory farmed.

I have a vegetable garden, but I'm still working my execution -- way too many tomatoes and zucchini this year and not much else. I also keep a few chickens for eggs because it happens to be legal in my town. It isn't legal in many.

In my area, poor people eat a lot of potatoes, pastas, and refined white flour products -- it is cheap and filling, but it can lead to bad health and obesity. We are landlocked and fish is expensive, except for canned tuna. I would probably try to catch fish for us to eat but I worry about the agricultural run-off from all the corn and soybeans around here.
    This must be very trying for you!

Would it be worthwhile arranging a produce swap?? ...or bottling tomato sauce a la the Italian migrants here. The families (including my SIL's family) all get together for a sauce bottling day to preserve the tomatoes for the rest of the year. A colleague of mine has also just made himself a solar food drier for drying tomatoes and fruit???

Spaghetti Squash is a great, tasty and healthy alternative to pasta and is easy to grow and wonderful with tomato sauce and fresh Basil!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Um... :confused: Coffee Pot Movement? Do you mean "The Coffee Party Movement"? If so, I'm not sure how that group is bad... or liberal. The whole point of it is creating dialogue between people of all political beliefs, to help solve problems in a civil manner. I fail to see what's bad about that.
    Wait....there's an actual movement that promotes this?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Heck yes!

Coffee Party USA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I stick with my previous question, from the last page.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I can cook cheaper than eat out most of the time, but it is not locally grown or organic and the meat is factory farmed.
    Right, that's how prices are in this part of the U.S., too.

Things like catching your own fish or bottling a year's supply of tomato sauce are, as you originally pointed out, Insatiable Curiosity, way too much work for most people to bother.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Heck yes!

Coffee Party USA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I stick with my previous question, from the last page.
    Hmmmn interesting. I agree with the concepts of civic participation and civil discourse between different POVs. The brashness of the Tea Partiers is an inevitable part of politics(just take a quick look at American history); but there also has to be a sphere that elevates itself above that and engages in civil discourse on some level.