User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Our Age: How Will it Be Remembered?

Something I posted on Facebook shortly ago:

"General question: Things that have happened in our lifetimes: new, readily accessible computers, the internet, instant communication: To be remembered as specifically a major turning point in the history of our species, or just one of many inevitable, though not immediate, side notes of the industrial revolution?"

I don't think there's much uncertainty we're living in the dawn of a new age of humanity, one inconceivable even one hundred years ago. But let's think of the question more generally: Will the age be remembered fondly, angrily, or even as surely necessary but apathetically thought of as the Bronze Age?

Essentially, what are the times we are living in, in your opinion, going to mean to the people of even a couple hundred years from now?
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I think it will be more like the late 1800's and early 1900's are to us today.
    It's a period of societal reformation. It has just begun, though.
    The rapid exchange of ideas all across the globe is important to this evolution.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Ginkgo

We will be remembered for having the attention spans of gnats.

o hai.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post

[img]

o hai.
    At the rate it's going, the younger generations will have even shorter attention spans than that.

At this time, we're having tons of technological advancements. Just look at what happened to computers in the past few decades! We've made leaps and bounds in this category. I think it will be remembered as the start of an electronic age.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Hmm, I think that the US is in a position that the UK was in prior to the first world war, there are huge amount of cultural affinities including fears about foreign campaigns, decline, crisis, degeneration and hopes for renewal, Britain had its own versions of survivalism et al.

Its maybe just something which goes along with being world hegemon.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Actually, this presumably means we simply won't be remembered. No time for that!
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

"The generation that could have done something about it but they didn't"

It will be remembered as a time...

a) of transition, a temporary resistance of nationalism triggered by the increasing effects of globalism.
    The romanticism of the westphalian system will eventually fade.

b) in which the need for security increases cooperation between former allies.
    The frame of self-identification shifts from the level of nation-states.

c) of quantum theories, changing the fundaments of our perceptions of the universe,
    and inspiring us to find non-conventional ways of formulating a TOE.

d) in which the maldistribution of resources and the problems of overpopulation ultimately lead to another age of expansive dynamics.

e) in which the myth of ratio is replaced by the myth of connection.
    Those who are not connected are considered to be on the periphery of life.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I don't think there's much uncertainty we're living in the dawn of a new age of humanity, one inconceivable even one hundred years ago. But let's think of the question more generally: Will the age be remembered fondly, angrily, or even as surely necessary but apathetically thought of as the Bronze Age?
    The people of every age believe their time to be a special turning point in history. But it could easily be argued, and has been argued within several tongue-in-cheek references to the flying car, that our age may be even less innovative than certain previous ones. An individal transported from 1900 to 1950 would find themselves living in a very different world. Many towns didn't even have electricity during the turn of the 20th Century. In comparison, a person transported from 1950 to 2000 would find it much easier to get around. "Wow, that's a computer. It sure is small, and everyone has one?". With the exception of the World Wide Web's introduction most of our technological changes are mere improvements on previous innovations while our social changes are more of the same. I'm not claiming that this age won't be considered exceptional but that it's a mistake to consider it that much different from any other age. I consider the changes brought about by the Space Race or by the various innovations of the Golden Age of Invention (1850-1900) to be far greater in scope.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    d) in which the maldistribution of resources and the problems of overpopulation ultimately lead to another age of expansive dynamics.
    This one made me think because I thought not necessarily so, things could be a lot worse, although excluding a dystopian scenario you could be correct, not many people look back to the victorian era as one of perfect prosperity and dispersal of wealth.