User Tag List

First 12

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    An individal transported from 1900 to 1950 would find themselves living in a very different world. Many towns didn't even have electricity during the turn of the 20th Century. In comparison, a person transported from 1950 to 2000 would find it much easier to get around. "Wow, that's a computer. It sure is small, and everyone has one?". With the exception of the World Wide Web's introduction most of our technological changes are mere improvements on previous innovations while our social changes are more of the same. I'm not claiming that this age won't be considered exceptional but that it's a mistake to consider it that much different from any other age.
    This is a good point. Maybe the internet will in long term have the most influence. It can have huge change in the culture, it gives a whole new tone for the freedom of speech, it makes things more grassroot, gives a wide audience access to information that used to be hard to find. It may be the big thing..

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

These will in all likelihood be the cause of some debate but I think we are being a little too self-congratulatory in the light of some of the real negatives of our age, and those attitudes and events, although we would probably prefer not, by which we are most likely to be remembered in generations to come:
    • As the age that has seen the greatest rate of extinction of species since the age of dinosaurs;

• As the age that saw the acceleration of the melting of the global ice reserves in the glaciers and polar icecaps;

• As the age that has seen global weather become increasingly violent and extreme as if in response to our poor stewardship;

• As the age where the folly of consumerism saw a sudden decline in the fortunes of consumer based economies which relied on fossil fuels as those fuels ran out;

• As the greatest age of wars and death caused by religious intolerance since the Holocaust, the Pogroms and the Spanish Inquisition;

• As the age where man thought he was G*d and began to take trademark ownership of DNA sequences;

• As the age in which the masses were so fooled by the fear campaigns run by their politicians, both East & West, that they were duped out of the freedoms that their forefathers had taken hundreds of years to earn for them;

• As the age where despite the disinformation touted by politicians and regimes, the people of the world were able to access alternative perspectives and make their own decisions on world matters if they so wished;

• As the age where the cost of a ringtone would have paid for a meal in a deprived community;
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quite real possibilities. I especially like how you put the last point. And I like the fact that you used the word "stewardship" That is like calling a rapist "lover". Heh...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Quite real possibilities. I especially like how you put the last point. And I like the fact that you used the word "stewardship" That is like calling a rapist "lover". Heh...
    Oh dear - certainly not intended to sound that way!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

But considering all the wrongdoings you listed, isn't it so?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    But considering all the wrongdoings you listed, isn't it so?
    I am inclined to agree but was trying to state it gently

Unfortunately history is not necessarily kind, and as we are perhaps more open to multi-dimensional examination than ever before, and than the very narrow historical perspectives we have been taught in schools of past history, I think it will be even less forgiving.
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

Lasting_Pain

This Age will be remebered for the sleeping giant finally awakening and realized someone or something has stole his organs, fur, and brain. Unforuntately the giant will then succumb to the wolves and vultures that have begin stalking him since his inception, and the rest is history.

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    XNTX

How about as the age that finally understood why we have wars and interpersonal conflict...personality therory applied to world govt. and setting ALL personalities to their interest for the motivated expansion of life...instead of continued conflict between Good and Evil (which are perspectives of personality only!)
    "This fearless one always is the same in essence,however.He is Holy heresy born stout lacking the ability to cower or break.The Universe is transparent to him." Me