User Tag List

1231151 Last

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Atheists: The most disliked minority in America.

So, what do you guys think about this?

University of Minnesota Study on American Attitudes Towards Atheists & Atheism - Research Finds that Atheists Most Despised, Most Distrusted Minority

Every single study that has ever looked at the issue has revealed massive amounts of bigotry and prejudice against atheists in America. The most recent data shows that atheists are more distrusted and despised than any other minority and that an atheist is the least likely person that Americans would vote for in a presidential election. It's not just that atheists are hated, though, but also that atheists seem to represent everything about modernity which Americans dislike or fear.

The most recent study was conducted by the University of Minnesota, which found that atheists ranked lower than "Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in 'sharing their vision of American society.' Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry." The results from two of the most important questions were:

----

This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society...

Atheist: 39.6%
    Muslims: 26.3%
    Homosexuals: 22.6%
    Hispanics: 20%
    Conservative Christians: 13.5%
    Recent Immigrants: 12.5%
    Jews: 7.6%

I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group....

Atheist: 47.6%
    Muslim: 33.5%
    African-American 27.2%
    Asian-Americans: 18.5%
    Hispanics: 18.5%
    Jews: 11.8%
    Conservative Christians: 6.9%
    Whites: 2.3%
    Harhar.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Ginkgo

My dislike for people has prejudice that transcends such things.

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

it also shows a big percentage of americans is racist.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Atheists are probably the guilt free target because by disliking them you're not being racist or religiously intolerant.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations
    Likes doodledee19, EcK, Obsidius liked this post

garbage

The saddest thing is that these are percentage of individuals who actually reported that they had these feelings. Who knows how many individuals feel this way but didn't report that they do?

I also wonder how the study was conducted--anonymously, personal surveys, etc. It'd definitely affect the results.

Others saw atheists as "rampant materialists and cultural elitists" who "threaten common values from above -- the ostentatiously wealthy who make a lifestyle out of consumption or the cultural elites who think they know better than everyone else."
    how exactly does atheism correlate with wealth, at all
    Likes Bknight liked this post

MBTI
    intp

I'd like to see domestic stats, but one Pew comparison of various countries on the wealth-religion relation:

Source
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Just goes to show what sort of jerks they are for the most part, if the US is anything like the UK they are angry, angry, angry and loving their victim status, no matter how far they got the church pinned they got to try and stick it to them some more.

All you got to do is check out Amazon anything with a hint of a religious message and its slated as all sorts of God Party BS, look at the Amazon UK reviews of Book of Eli, film's a post apocalypse thriller about book collectors, oh shit it features a bible! Its obviously an attempt at evangelism, lets leave the theatre and demonstrate outside in protest!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Just goes to show what sort of jerks they are for the most part, if the US is anything like the UK they are angry, angry, angry and loving their victim status, no matter how far they got the church pinned they got to try and stick it to them some more.

All you got to do is check out Amazon anything with a hint of a religious message and its slated as all sorts of God Party BS, look at the Amazon UK reviews of Book of Eli, film's a post apocalypse thriller about book collectors, oh shit it features a bible! Its obviously an attempt at evangelism, lets leave the theatre and demonstrate outside in protest!
    This entire post is bewildering. Can you clarify your reasoning?

How does the article "show" atheists to be jerks? Moreover, how does it articulate that their non-belief necessarily unifies into collective anger - or any emotion, for that matter?

I'm really not sure where to begin here, Lark.
    Likes Bknight liked this post

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    This entire post is bewildering. Can you clarify your reasoning?

How does the article "show" atheists to be jerks? Moreover, how does it articulate that their non-belief necessarily unifies into collective anger - or any emotion, for that matter?

I'm really not sure where to begin here, Lark.
    I'm loving your avatar.

I'm saying they're hated because of what they do to deserve that, and if the US is anything like the UK its because they are vociferous, hostile, angry, whinging, moaning and insistant.

No such thing as stating a position and leaving it or having a position without wanting everyone else to know about, accept it, maybe even profess it themselves. And anything which so much as hints to the contrary gets their backs up big, big style. Like the movie I mentioned.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I think get what Lark is saying. Atheists many times are vociferous about their thoughts, and they annoy a lot of people for that. Like that dickhead Richard Dawkins.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli