First 789101119 Last

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I'm afraid not. Here's your original quote:

A statement that makes very little rational sense, as you clearly link "atheists" with "that dickhead Richard Dawkins".

I've highlighted the relevant phrasing for your benefit. You provided a false dichotomy, as you presented an argument having few competing alternatives, when in reality, many more exist.

Your words.

"Against the grain"? Irrelevant. Whether antagonistic of supportive of popular thought, new ideas must be explored with the same determination and care as old. I don't think I need to explain this rationale to a critical, intelligent mind. So, we'll leave this thought here for now.

As an aside, are you really implying that unconventional thinking is necessarily inferior to what proceeds "with the grain" as it is customary?

Truly?

Perhaps you could clarify this for me. I'll withhold judgment until you proceed.

Again - you seem to offer the implication that differences of opinion from "established" thought are inherently less valuable than ideas that simply support traditional thinking.

I hate to offer another logical fallacy as counterpoint, but this thinking is textbook proof of tradition.

I don't like pointing out these fallacies any more than you like reading them.

It's just sloppy thinking that begs for correction.

Speaking of tradition, ever hear of Sati? Used to be normal.

What about things like racism? For a very long time, racist beliefs earmarked sociological behavior in the U.S. It was "tradition" to believe in the innate worth of a human being on the basis of perceived ethnicity.

I hope you comprehend the connection that I'm softballing your way...
    As far as I know, I don't have a reputation for posting subtleties, so whatever you are interpreting that is not literally in the text is almost doomed to be wrong.

People usually form their opinion of individuals and groups based on the limelight given by the press. For the West, rightly or wrongly, the faces of atheism are people like Dawkins, Hitchens, people that put up "one nation indivisble" without the under God part on billboards, people that advocate freedom from religion, etc, because they are vociferous and prolific. The reason these things get press attention in the US is not that they are simply going along with flow. In the case of the billboard just a few weeks ago, people took the time to respond and counter by putting up a theist billboard. That's what gets press, and that's all what most people know, and very clearly does annoy a lot of people. This is not me trying to prove all atheists are militant, I've met atheists that are not militant, although in my age group, most of them are strongly militant. I'm just explaining why people have a certain perception of atheists. The majority of Americans aren't focused on logical fallacies and all that when they are watching the nightly world news.

Nothing I intended to convey should lead you to believe that I am assuming counter-cultural thought is always inferior, or any that you are talking about. I don't know how other people are reading me, but I'm most certainly not implying anything that's not concretely in the text. For the vast majority of my writing, what you see is what you get. Aside from sarcasm, I'm far too literal to even be skilled enough to write the way you are interpreting this.

If anyone else thinks I'm not explicit enough, or am implying things, do say so, and I'll stand corrected and try to be more explicit in my posts.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Part of it might be that it's been almost ten years since 9/11 and perhaps the animosity towards Muslims has cooled down; while the New Atheists are now in the media limelight.
    Perhaps atheists could take some heat off themselves if they doctored up a new message from Bin Laden.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Yeah, doesnt the American public realise that you arent supposed to dislike minorities? I mean if you can be small enough in number you got instant rights to recognition and special, er, reparative treatment.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Dammit! I keep reading this title:
    To be honest I think there probably are most disliked minorities in America, I can imagine the quiz, who do you dislike more:

1) Peadophiles
    2) Nazis
    3) Athiests

And people opting for 3)? Really? Give me a break

MBTI
    intp

The willful and self-serving ignorance of historical realities and continuities in this thread is staggering.

Not to mention the illiteracy, as the study actually gives reasons for the respondents' hatred of atheists.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not sure that Richard Dawkins (and co.) are actually more disliked or ridiculed than Pat Robertson (and co.). Yes, both camps can be ridiculous and/or offensive (usually both). But one is advocating hatred towards people, the other hatred of ideas.

I mean, I'm sure it's different in the bible belt and all that. But in the rest of America?

I guess it's a good thing I don't plan on ever living there, lol
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by angell_m View Post
    Well, actually, not believing in other gods is a prerequisite for abrhamic religions, so the "atheism" towards other religions is built in. If you wanted to get cheeky about it, you could say that atheism is just like abhramic religion, in which one doesn't believe in any other gods, but you don't believe in the first one, either
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I think you should all stop hating on the minorities!! The minorities man!! Havent they gone through enough!! Being minorities and all!! DAMNIT!!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Well, actually, not believing in other gods is a prerequisite for abrhamic religions, so the "atheism" towards other religions is built in. If you wanted to get cheeky about it, you could say that atheism is just like abhramic religion, in which one doesn't believe in any other gods, but you don't believe in the first one, either
    No.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    No.
    Around here, Athiests seem to have similar moral codes to the Christians around them, and unless they're assholes, they'll even give you gifts for Christmas! They look like Christians, they act like Christians, they taste like Christians. I'm just using the duck test. The only difference is that they don't believe in God.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge