First 67891018 Last

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I would imagine athiests are easier to dislike based on the misconception that they come across as a bold-faced "NO". They can be a wall to people who want the landscape open to eye up all of the air. There are a lack of commonalities between atheists and people who are religious, or agnostics who simply shrug.

Contemplate how a great deal of humanity needs to stake itself down with a security blanket. People who tear themselves from the security blanket are misconstrued and intimidating. Either that, or easily dismissed and looked down upon. The people who cling, desperately, are threatened by one's ability to hang onto life without a support that is above and beyond them. The people who turn their nose up are the one's who feel their security blanket is fact and omitting such a fact will besmirch their truth.
    There are middle grounds, but balance is difficult to come by. This is especially true of the topic of religion. This also comes from people not wanting to take the time to understand, or who have a bad brush with someone who doesn't understand it for themselves.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    This is just from my perspective; but just because someone is an Atheist doesn't mean that they lack morals. In fact most Atheists that I know have some sort of moral code. You don't have to have a religion to be a moralistic person. I mean, anyone with a brain should be able to know that.

I'm just bitter about highly religious, closed minded and judgmental people is all.
    Oh, totally. I feel rather insulted that some believe I can't be moral without religious imperatives instructing me to be so. I am much more concerned about behaving morally than most people. And the reverse annoys me to; that the more 'religious' someone is the more moral they are. I REALLY hate the phrase: "he's/she's a good, church-going man/woman". As if showing up to church once or twice a week is proof of virtuousness.

It is ignorance that's the problem - people always fear what they don't understand. I think that if most of those people in the survey who oppose atheists genuinely understood their lifestyle and beliefs they wouldn't be so concerned about them.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    That really isn't true. It is very important that I don't know is an answer. There are really four basic answers to any question, which are yes, no, maybe, and invalid. Do not take any of those away.
    I've rarely found anyone who has thought about their religious standpoint a bit more thoroughly than the four basic answers that are 100% down the middle or uncertain. It would appear those that have arrived at that middle position would tend to lean to either theism or atheism if they cared to proclaim their position deeper. 'maybe' is applicable, but having a total indifferent stance on religion (and politics) is either result of not getting around to defining the position further or just laziness. The desire to have reasoning and opinion are just too strong.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Atheists are probably the guilt free target because by disliking them you're not being racist or religiously intolerant.
    Abwuh?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SNUGGLETRON View Post
    I'm glad it isn't because being agnostic has been taken by many to be some kind of third way between theism and atheism. Being Agnostic is beside the point of being a theist or an atheist, because you will inevitably fall into one or the other. Gnosticism/Agnosticism isn't a basis that constitutes its own category. For instance, I've never seen someone claim they are "Gnostic", ever. It wouldn't make sense, but people think just being agnostic does. What knowledge are you admitting to lacking? Generally everyone falls into these categories whether they like it or not:

Gnostic Theist
    Agnostic Theist
    Agnostic Atheist
    Gnostic Atheist
    My roommate is a Gnostic, and he wants to be a Gnostic priest.

Gnosticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    My roommate is a Gnostic, and he wants to be a Gnostic priest.

Gnosticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I stand corrected then, although I've never heard of Gnosticism as a religious sect until now, only per the defintion. Still, wouldn't that fall under theism?

I guess I should have

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

I've rarely found anyone who has thought about their religious standpoint a bit more thoroughly than the four basic answers that are 100% down the middle or uncertain. It would appear those that have arrived at that middle position would tend to lean to either theism or atheism if they cared to proclaim their position deeper. 'maybe' is applicable, but having a total indifferent stance on religion (and politics) is either result of not getting around to defining the position further or just laziness. The desire to have reasoning and opinion are just too strong.
    Well, yeah, while that might be true and that certainly many would lean towards SOME conclusion, i think there's a certain stance to be taken out of not knowing/caring as well, it just depends on how deeply the person has thought about it. Agnosticism can be interpreted a couple ways i think. I think this quote is a great summation of this:

One form of agnosticism claims that we do not know if God exists; the other insists that we cannot know. The first we'll call "soft" and the second "hard" agnosticism. We are not here concerned about "soft" agnosticism, since it does not eliminate in principle the possibility of knowing whether God exists. It says in effect, "I do not know whether God exists but it is not impossible to know. I simply do not have enough evidence to make a rational decision on the question. " We turn, then, to the "hard" form which claims that it is im-possible to know whether God exists (Norman Geisler and Paul Feinberg, In-troduction to Philosophy: A Christian Perspective, Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1980, p. 296).
    If someone thinks about such beliefs enough then there are solid positions to be taken here, and most self-identified agnostics I know have taken any of them. Doesn't mean a lot of agnostics actually do, but i think the idea of agnosticism you presented was a tad one-sided.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

MBTI
    ESFJ

I stand corrected then, although I've never heard of Gnosticism as a religious sect until now, only per the defintion. Still, wouldn't that fall under theism?
    Yes, it would, but I think they count. I went to their Christmas services with him. It was 80% the same as a Catholic Mass.

I guess I should have
    Very nice.

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Abwuh?
    I don't consider Atheists as a part of "the religious". Do you?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations