User Tag List

First 394748495051 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Not at all; I just didn't want to possibly misinterpret your metaphor.
    I could definately see how the metaphors could be confusing, but it is hard for me to match a metaphorical subject without resorting to thinking in that sort of way. But yeah, glad you asked for clarification, it was getting a bit sketchy.

You're one step away from atheism then; atheists are simply capable of letting go of sufficiently empty claims. And religion falls into that category.

And that's atheism in a nutshell.
    You can also be one step away from walking off a cliff. -I don't think that almost matters if you are dealing with absolutes. But alright, I guess I can sort of concede that beliefs are hard to argue if they are not your own, but unfortunately my opinion still stands, though I can sort of understand where the atheistic veiwpoint comes from.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Hence, my original statement is absolute.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tippo View Post
    Hence, my original statement is absolute.
    Mm, I don't feel that I necessarily attempted to force my ideology, just stated it and people grabbed onto it, took what they felt offended them and defended themselves against it, which I have no issue with. As I said, no issue with atheists, but with the concept of atheism. No almosts,but there are maybes.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I have no issue with anyone/anything. Only pointing towards logic, I mean no harm. Smart persons present ideas. I've read nothing dumb therefore you all are smart . Everybody wins!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tippo View Post
    I have no issue with anyone/anything. Only pointing towards logic, I mean no harm. Smart persons present ideas. I've read nothing dumb therefore you all are smart . Everybody wins!

I feel that Atheism is just a label which tells others that you'd go out of your way to piss off a religious person... either that or you're just ignorant (I am usually never sure of my own claims, but this one I am sure of). Atheism is just as idiotic and un-scientific as other religions, including Christianity. Why must you be so narrow-minded to believe that a God could not possibly exist? I'd rather have my hypothetical son marry a good-natured Muslim than an atheist who believes everything on the internet that claims its backed by science. Some people say that Atheism consists of both "Hard" Atheists and Agnostics, but since that just makes things more confusing, I will consider all Atheists those who refuse to believe that there might be a God. Two completely different views (Ignorance vs the acknowledgement that one doesn't fully understand the universe) should not be put under the same label. I just despise those who think highly of themselves when they are even more in fault than the ones they're criticizing.
    Likes LovelySweet liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysanthea View Post
    I feel that Athiesm (as seen by others) is just a label which tells others that you'd go out of your way to piss off a religious person. Also, Athiesm is just as idiotic and un-scientific as other religions, including Christianity. Why must you be so narrow-minded to believe that a God could not possibly exist? I'd rather have my hypothetical son marry a good natured Muslim than an athiest who believes everything on the internet that claims its backed by science. Some people say that Athiesm consists of both "Hard" Athiests and Agnostics, but since that just makes things more confusing, I will consider all Athiests those who refuse to believe that there might be a God. Two completely different views (Ignorance vs the acknowledgement that one doesn't fully understand the universe) should NOT be put under the same label. Sorry for my angry sounding tone, I just despise those who think highly of themselves when they are even more in fault than the ones they're criticizing.
    First,
    AthEists.

Second,
    no, just no.

Why does one need to believe or even consider the existence of god, for their everyday living?

What I stated before is ONLY true if Atheism is what I understand it is. That is: God doesn't exist. And once you become aware of the idea that there might be a God, you can either abstain, which is Agnosticism to me, accept, like Christianity, and deny, which is Atheism.

Logically, the position would be agnositicism, for not just the idea of god, but any other supernatural beings/things. Like dragons, unicorns, santa claus, lockness monster, bigfoot, fairies, mermaids, ghosts, goblins, ghouls, etc, etc.

Practically speaking, which is why I italicized the word 'need', I don't go around saying I'm agnostic about dragons, unicorns, santa claus, lockness monster, bigfoot, fairies, mermaids, ghosts, goblins, ghouls, etc, etc., and, the same with the idea of god. It better reflects my position, the term, atheism, when it comes to all such supernatural beings, than the term, agnosticism, which connotes an idea of, 'maybe, I don't know.' I don't know, but for all intent and purpose, I lead my life with the assumption of an absence of god and other supernatural beings, not with an assumption of 'maybe', so maybe I should try to be x, y, z, in case there is one, maybe I should do x, y, z, in case there is one, is not an accurate reflection of how I lead my everyday life.
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Ugh this thread pulled me back in for funsies. I suppose religion-and I DO include atheism- is really at the end of the day a rigid classification for a **plethora** of different understandings. But since that seems to be the basis for all of my arguments lately (about everything) I will try to let that go for the moment, at least TRY, as I might be a bit too individually tied to that specific understanding. Anyways, as much as I am starting to realize that it is a bit pointless to argue religion 'beliefs' as they seem to run a bit deep for most people and are a core aspect in how they reference the world, I am not really seeing the point of bringing up the unicorns or whatever. I mean I see the point in that you are trying to make a point about restricting your views to what you understand as even approaching plausible, but... And I am sorry if I continue to offend the atheists-not really my intention, devaluing the agnostic viewpoint as some sort of wishy washy simple minded string of lets just leap at whatever is thrown and not think for ourselves at all mentaility, really doesn't seem to build up an individual 'case'- (not that you particularly need to build up a case for an individual value set-maybe?, still thinking that one through). Maybes can be just as absolute and valid as yes and no's, especially when categorized. You can only define so much, and I guess any way that you choose to define yourself is... fine, you just have to live behind it. You can have judgements-and now I am wondering if that was a judgement in and of itself-, and use them to define and judge other judgements, but no one can truly know. So yeah guess back to agnosticism vs. religion/atheism. No contradictions.