First 35434445464755 Last

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Child rearing practices are fundamental to the development of personality. And American religious institutions make it their business to engage in the child rearing practices.

A large part of the power of religious institutions lies in their mass child rearing practices. And naturally American religious institutions use their power to avoid accountability.
    Interesting.

I was not raised in a religion, because both my parents were atheists of different backgrounds.

How would you suppose that has impacted my personality?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    Interesting.

I was not raised in a religion, because both my parents were atheists of different backgrounds.

How would you suppose that has impacted my personality?
    If your parents practised the sacrificial form of child rearing, you are likely to develop a paranoid personality.

If your parents practised the abusive form of child rearing, you are likely to form a bullying personality.

If your parents practised the authoritarian form of child rearing, you are like to have a controlling personality.

And if your parents practised the the helping form of child rearing, you are likely to have an empathic and creative personality.

These forms of child rearing, found throughout history, and even today, are delineated in the book, "The History of Childhood", by Lloyd de Mause.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    If your parents practised the sacrificial form of child rearing, you are likely to develop a paranoid personality.

If your parents practised the abusive form of child rearing, you are likely to form a bullying personality.

If your parents practised the authoritarian form of child rearing, you are like to have a controlling personality.

And if your parents practised the the helping form of child rearing, you are likely to have an empathic and creative personality.

These forms of child rearing, found throughout history, and even today, are delineated in the book, "The History of Childhood", by Lloyd de Mause.
    I'm not sure what this has to do with atheism, but my parents did the best they could and encouraged me in areas where not enough people get encouragement. That is all that matters.

You were discussing religion and how it relates to child-rearing, and then changed the topic to just child-rearing in general. Are you claiming that you were raised to have an empathetic and creative personality?

Furthermore, while we're on the subject, I suspect that you have an Oedipus complex.

Maybe I'll get on that little tome you mentioned when I finish Spinoza's Ethics.

Getting back on topic, I think more atheists need to think about what atheism means and what the philosophical consequences of atheism are. They need to make sure they build their new house out of bricks, not straw.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Good. We're making an impact.

MBTI
    ENTJ

If you are instructed to spread the belief, there becomes the controversy. People can have opinions/ideas. To force your ideology on others is the flaw in all written examples. Each person should/will change/adjust as information is accepted. No one person knows the future, nor does a group. Anyone pushing another's agenda is a moron imo.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Might sound stupid, but I never understood athiests. I identify as an agnostic, which sure might seem a bit 'weak willed', but to me there is just too much that I do not know to really set something in stone.

It seems a bit like you are just setting yourself up for disappointment to me if you are atheistic. (Judgemental I know)

So God isn't real and you were right, good for you. You knew the truth that there was NOTHING to life before everyone else, enjoy your last few days of being right before we all stumble into an eternal bliss of nothingness. There is no prize to being correct if the contest is out of your control. I know that there is more to it than that, but still.

I suppose though that beliefs are beliefs, and you have the right to have them, but athiesm just seems like a bit of a black hole to me.

Though no, I do not hate athiests or blatantly discriminate if someone tells me that they are one, it just is something I personally do not really understand, why deny the possibility of something more? Probably a common mindset, and faith to me is ultimately an individual thing I suppose, so I probably shouldn't just condemn something because I'm uncomfortable with it.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    Might sound stupid, but I never understood athiests. I identify as an agnostic, which sure might seem a bit 'weak willed', but to me there is just too much that I do not know to really set something in stone.

It seems a bit like you are just setting yourself up for disappointment to me if you are atheistic. (Judgemental I know)

So God isn't real and you were right, good for you. You knew the truth that there was NOTHING to life before everyone else, enjoy your last few days of being right before we all stumble into an eternal bliss of nothingness. There is no prize to being correct if the contest is out of your control. I know that there is more to it than that, but still.

I suppose though that beliefs are beliefs, and you have the right to have them, but athiesm just seems like a bit of a black hole to me. Though no, I do not hate athiests or blatantly discriminate if someone tells me that they are one, it just is something I personally do not really understand, why deny the possibility of something more? Probably a common mindset, and faith to me is ultimately an individual thing.
    Your post made me think of this song:

From where I sit... it doesn't even matter if God exists or not. The question just strikes me as irrelevant. I have a hard time understanding why people even care.

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

It matters to me in the sense of hoping that something exists. Though even if nothing does, I have always seen it kind of as a wherever we were before seems to not have been so bad as to not provide for an after. Whether that was some sort of purgatory, experience of nothingness, whatever, something caused us to become us and if we go back to that than so be it. Millions of years were before us, and millions of years after, if before equals after then fine. We have too many slips to put them all in one basket, you can try to win the big prize, but leave your name in for other things as well.

I have never heard that song before btw, but wow if I didn't attach to every word...

Anyway, lecture over, back to the topic at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    I can understand this attitude.

Personally, I'm not 100% for-sure certain that there's no god, gods, or supernatural forces in the universe. How could I be? Nobody can prove a negative like that. And I think that many atheists, if asked in a private setting by a friendly personality, would agree.

However, an atheist might also ask you a question like "How do you know that your shadow doesn't come alive at night and whisper dreams into your ears as you sleep?" Or "How do you know there isn't a ceramic teapot with a gothic motif orbiting the sun?" Or "How do you know that falling stars aren't the tears of Surtr?" And then politely await your response.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    I can understand this attitude.

Personally, I'm not 100% for-sure certain that there's no god, gods, or supernatural forces in the universe. How could I be? Nobody can prove a negative like that. And I think that many atheists, if asked in a private setting by a friendly personality, would agree.

However, an atheist might also ask you a question like "How do you know that your shadow doesn't come alive at night and whisper dreams into your ears as you sleep?" Or "How do you know there isn't a ceramic teapot with a gothic motif orbiting the sun?" Or "How do you know that falling stars aren't the tears of Surtr?" And then politely await your response.
    So basically atheism is just questioning questions? Nothing is absolute sure, and who knows maybe rain is just the remnants of a wet dog? But it could also be Jesus crying tears of forgiveness to wash away our sins. Or the souls of the recently dead coming back to earth to reincarnate into whatever they touch. Anything can have a spiritual meaning if you look to find one, as anything can have a scientific explanation as well. Personally, I think that the main problem with any deep set religion, and I include atheism, is that they attempt to set standards of what are acceptable interpretations and what do not jive. Arbitrary definitions are shoved together, packaged up, and passed through the family line, and for any member to be dissatisfied with their ratty distilled 90000medowns either have to grin and bear it or go without. Anyways, in theory I have no more issue with atheism than I do any other religion. But often times it seems as if atheists are trying to fight fire with fire, all the while ignoring whats crumbling down around them. Atheism to me doesn't mean questioning, it just provides a different set of answers, ones that can be sort of bleak. Though yeah, I do not think that anyone is 100% resolute on anything ever otherwise we would have a pretty mechanical world.