User Tag List

First 33414243444553 Last

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    One of these days I'll have to listen to a Dawkins talk so that I know what all of the fuss it about.
    He's a very good writer and scientist, but he's not the greatest philosopher, per se. I'm not his biggest fan or anything, but I find him very interesting when he talks about something in his wheelhouse.

His book "The Selfish Gene" is an immense pleasure to read, but "The God Delusion" was pretty meh.

Dawkins is a pretty mild and nice guy.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I guess all you can do is forgive them and try to love them as they are, dude. The best way for a Christian to convert others isn't to put Atheism down, it's to live as Christ did, and let your actions be like a lighthouse for those trapped in darkness. Er..maybe, not sure about that metaphor.
    I dont believe in converting anyone, I think properly understood Christianity should not be about that.

I dont put atheism down and I think mere mortals could only hope to live as Christ did, plus, well, only God forgives

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It is funny how much some people hate him, because he seems like such a nice, mild-mannered guy. I'd love to have him as a grandpa or a kindly old uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont believe in converting anyone, I think properly understood Christianity should not be about that.

I dont put atheism down and I think mere mortals could only hope to live as Christ did, plus, well, only God forgives
    I guess I'm just not "getting" what you're saying, because I can't seem to tie everything you've been saying in this thread together. This post here sounds perfectly nice and reasonable though. Cheers!

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Particularly considering his knowledge is literally the entire cusp of human perception regarding the "hows" of why we exist.

It is deeply bothersome to remain humble in such a circumstance.

I dont put atheism down...
    Your history in this thread begs to differ:
    Just goes to show what sort of jerks they are for the most part, if the US is anything like the UK they are angry, angry, angry and loving their victim status, no matter how far they got the church pinned they got to try and stick it to them some more.
    I'm saying they're hated because of what they do to deserve that, and if the US is anything like the UK its because they are vociferous, hostile, angry, whinging, moaning and insistant.
    Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post
    Are you completely unhinged?
    No, no I'm not an athiest, no.
    I think they bring it on themselves for the most part, being the most disliked I mean.

They'd be so upset to think no cared enough to give a shit about them.
    Atheists: Most Self important minority in America?
    Been looking hard this week for reasons not to dislike atheists, cant find any and I've tried really, really hard.
    Likes Hard, SpankyMcFly liked this post

So I just watched Howard Conder interview Richard Dawkins on The Interview, and I can see why religious folks tend not to like him. The discussion begins very politely, but becomes somewhat strained by the end, with Dawkins explaining the evidence of evolution -- including Darwin's commentary on the human eye, which creationists apparently like to selectively cite! -- and then becoming more and more impatient with Conder's blind faith in the Old and New Testaments. All in all though, Dawkins' reserved impatience has got nothing on FOX infotainment personalities like Hannity trying to bludgeon his way through an interview with amiable atheist Dave Silverman.

As Lark mentioned earlier, there's no comparing a good atheist with a bad theist, but it's also true that who one thinks is a dick tends to depend on who one disagrees with.

Oh, and Conder mentions one of the Biblical 'prophecies' that Christian Answers mentioned but didn't cite:

Quote Originally Posted by Micah 5:2, Old Testament
    But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
    though you are small among the clans of Judah,
    out of you will come for me
    one who will be ruler over Israel,
    whose origins are from of old,
    from ancient times.
    Proving once again how selectively you have to read these 'prophecies' to believe that Jesus fulfilled them. I suppose Christian fundies have some kind of metaphorical interpretation of the bolded bit to explain how Jesus did somehow rule over Israel, though.

MBTI
    ENTJ

You are very clever. I'm sincere with my words. You're a great example regarding depth of information concerning specifics. Intjs are my favorite. Debate debate debate. Cheers!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Hardly tangential. This thread is about atheists and why some people dislike them. Using the levers of government to persecute Christian business owners figures prominently, imho, into why some people dislike them.
    The malice Christians hold toward atheists predates late 20th century law suits over Ten Commandment displays in courthouses.

"The fool hath said in his heart, 'There is no God.' They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that does good." - Psalm 14:1
    According to the Bible, all atheists are evil. In this case, Christians "cast the first stone". Everything atheists have done since then is a reaction to Christians demonizing them for...I don't know...2000 years or so.

Pretending that the origin of this malice is recent court cases is just the type of nonsense I would expect you to believe.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Agreed but I have never met one of these. Just atheists who never discuss it. I have met many obnoxious Christians..

...that say things like this.
    If you're a Christian who talks about your faith, you are virtuous, spreading the Good News.
    If you're an atheist who talks about your lack of faith, you're a rude militant.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."