User Tag List

First 31394041424351 Last

Results 401 to 410 of 573

  1. #401
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    One thing that religious institutions do, that I don't see atheism doing, is charity. I think that if people saw more atheists engaging in charity and so on, people might have a less negative opinion of them. I think that would be more useful than some of the other tactics I see them engaging in.
    Properly understood, atheism is not a movement or a cause. It should not even serve as a main seed for group formations. Thus, it makes perfect sense that it does not engage in charity. Neither, for that matter, does non-gingerism, tenfingerism or goodeyesightism. There are, however, many examples of people who happen to be atheists engaging in charity (Bill Gates, for instance) and countless humanist institutions and other groups without religious affiliation that help people around without ulterior motives.
    Likes Mane, Hard, Cellmold, Julius_Van_Der_Beak liked this post

  2. #402
    Senior Member Passacaglia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's my perception.

    It dominates American culture by and far, and specifically attacked atheists. (Remember the Red Scare of the 50's? You were anti-American and a traitor if you didn't believe in God. But countless other cultural events as well.) It also seemed to be the largest enemy to science for many years, even though it didn't need to be.

    It's not really shocking for the minority to position itself in opposition to the largest cultural controlling force, especially the one that has already been singling them out for decades. They aren't going to go after the Muslims or any other religion here, because those religions haven't tried to dictate and control the public arena.
    Yeah, this. I'm not aware of any Jewish political groups that try or succeed in influencing politicians or laws, I've never been approached by a Brahmin and asked "Have you found Shiva?", and I've never heard an imam preach at a subway car full of passengers about the wrath of Allah. Obviously this sort of thing happens in other nations, and I'm sure it occasionally happens in the States. But when everybody's got at least one Jehovah's Witness story, and church billboards that comment on hellfire/abortions/gays are a fact of life, and Christian political groups are constantly blurring the line between church and state...well, it's not surprising that other religions tend to take a back seat in the minds of American atheists.

    Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Yeah i think the dress code makes them an easy target for those who are looking to find and abuse them. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the religious jews (hasidic?) that often becomes the target.
    Oh man, the area where I grew up is a big summer-destination for Hasidic Jews from New York City, and...whew! The locals call the summer season 'The Summer of Solomon.' There's quite a bit of anger from both groups, in part because it's so easy to identify the Hasidics from the locals. When a local bumps into you at the supermarket or cuts you off on the road, you probably just think "Asshole!" But when it's a guy wearing heavy dark clothing in the height of summer heat, sporting two curly side-locks, and wearing a yarmulke, it's easy to react with "Ugh, typical Hasidic!"

  3. #403
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    That's because atheists sacrifice babies to the Dark Lord and His minions. Everyone knows this. Pretty mean if you think about it.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

  4. #404
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I'd say I like atheists, but there are two criticisms I have of the atheist movement:

    One thing that religious institutions do, that I don't see atheism doing, is charity. I think that if people saw more atheists engaging in charity and so on, people might have a less negative opinion of them. I think that would be more useful than some of the other tactics I see them engaging in.
    I wonder if many atheists lobby elected officials to strengthen the social safety net for everyone, so charity is not as necessary. In any case, some atheist groups do practice and encourage charity. For example, the Society of Edmonton Atheists actively encourages members and others to donate blood. They did this on the National Day of Prayer as an alternative to the ecumenical prayer meeting attended by representatives of the faithful - an alternative they noted was "scientifically proven to save lives".

    Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Yeah, this. I'm not aware of any Jewish political groups that try or succeed in influencing politicians or laws, I've never been approached by a Brahmin and asked "Have you found Shiva?", and I've never heard an imam preach at a subway car full of passengers about the wrath of Allah. Obviously this sort of thing happens in other nations, and I'm sure it occasionally happens in the States. But when everybody's got at least one Jehovah's Witness story, and church billboards that comment on hellfire/abortions/gays are a fact of life, and Christian political groups are constantly blurring the line between church and state...well, it's not surprising that other religions tend to take a back seat in the minds of American atheists.
    At least in the US there is an active Jewish lobby that tries to influence public policy on topics related to the state of Israel, but otherwise you are correct. Christians have no monopoly on proselytizing, but do seem to do the vast majority of it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Passacaglia, Julius_Van_Der_Beak liked this post

  5. #405

    Default

    Been looking hard this week for reasons not to dislike atheists, cant find any and I've tried really, really hard.

  6. #406
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Been looking hard this week for reasons not to dislike atheists, cant find any and I've tried really, really hard.
    Says a great deal more about you than about atheists.
    Likes Hard, Lateralus liked this post

  7. #407
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Been looking hard this week for reasons not to dislike atheists, cant find any and I've tried really, really hard.
    Maybe start with an individual atheist, and try to find something you like about them. People are so much better on an individual level, even if their worldview is diametrically opposed to your own.

    That's usually the way I overcome my biases against groups of people.

  8. #408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Maybe start with an individual atheist, and try to find something you like about them. People are so much better on an individual level, even if their worldview is diametrically opposed to your own.

    That's usually the way I overcome my biases against groups of people.
    Tried it, no good.

    I've read atheists who I think are great, they arent representative unfortunately.

    The ways that humanity has sought to live since the supposed death of God are not pass notable.

  9. #409
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The ways that humanity has sought to live since the supposed death of God are not pass notable.
    Oh, so THAT'S what's this is all about. It's not that I don't understand where you're coming from, but that's too big of a discussion for me tonight. Maybe another time!

  10. #410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Oh, so THAT'S what's this is all about. It's not that I don't understand where you're coming from, but that's too big of a discussion for me tonight. Maybe another time!
    I dont really understand this post but its alright because I didnt understand the last one either.

Similar Threads

  1. Which type(s) do you think are the most reluctant (desinterested in) to talk about
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 02:35 PM
  2. Fox: The Most Trusted Name in News
    By Gamine in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 04:35 AM
  3. Which types recognize the most strategic value in which types?
    By simulatedworld in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-19-2009, 05:22 PM
  4. The most beautiful songs in the world...
    By maliafee in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-03-2009, 04:31 AM
  5. The most members online in one day was 360, Today
    By INTJMom in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO