First 27353637383947 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This perspective is not one that I've not encountered before, I wouldnt be satisfied with it because I've done a lot of research and read a lot about it and thought a lot about it but if it works for you sure, carry on.
    I happen to agree with that perspective. Where have you done your research?

You seem like someone who is conservative with regards to religion, sexuality and perhaps gender, but quite radical in the arena of economic issues and, perhaps, international affairs. I'm aware that Ireland has a tradition of a kind of left-wing nationalism.

This is an interesting comment from notorious right-wing philosopher Slavoj Zizek:

In regard to today’s situation of ideological struggle, this means that one should at least view with profound suspicion those Leftists who argue that the Muslim fundamentalist-populist movements are basically “ours,” emancipatory anti-imperialist movements, and that the fact that they formulate their program in directly anti-Enlightenment and anti-universalist terms, sometimes getting close to direct anti-Semitism, is just a confusion that results from their being caught into the immediacy of struggle (“when they say they are against Jews, what they really mean is just that they are against the Zionist colonialism”). One should unconditionally resist the temptation to “understand” the Arab anti-Semitism (where we really encounter it) as a “natural” reaction to the sad plight of the Palestinians: there should be no “understanding” for the fact that, in many, if not most, of the Arab countries, Hitler is still considered a hero, the fact that, in the primary school textbooks, all the traditional anti-Semitic myths, from the notorious forged Protocols of the Zion Elders to the claims that Jews use the blood of Christian (or Arab) children for sacrificial purposes, are attributed to them. To claim that this anti-Semitism articulates in a displaced mode the resistance against capitalism in no way justifies it: displacement is not here a secondary operation, but the fundamental gesture of ideological mystification. What this claim does involve is the idea that, in the long term, the only way to fight anti-Semitism is not to preach liberal tolerance, etc., but to articulate the underlying anti-capitalist motive in a direct, non-displaced, way. Once we accept this logic, we make the first step on the path at the end of which is the quite “logical” conclusion that, since Hitler also “really meant” capitalists when he spoke of “Jews,” he should be our strategic ally in the global anti-imperialist struggle, with the Anglo-American empire as the principal enemy. (And this line of reasoning is not a mere rhetorical exercise: the Nazis did promote anti-colonialist struggle in Arab countries and in India, and many neo-Nazis do sympathize with the Arab struggle against the State of Israel.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    yupp

I'd argue haitians, but that might be just south florida
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This perspective is not one that I've not encountered before, I wouldnt be satisfied with it because I've done a lot of research and read a lot about it and thought a lot about it but if it works for you sure, carry on.
    Since my opinion on this matter has no practical consequence for my life, I cannot apply the usual "does it work" test. I must instead rely on the consistency and reliability of available evidence, and the soundess of conclusions that can be drawn from it. Occam's razor is always helpful. I'm far from the only one to have reached these conclusions. Some are self-evident.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Since my opinion on this matter has no practical consequence for my life, I cannot apply the usual "does it work" test. I must instead rely on the consistency and reliability of available evidence, and the soundess of conclusions that can be drawn from it. Occam's razor is always helpful. I'm far from the only one to have reached these conclusions. Some are self-evident.
    I wonder if enough people make the same mistake if its still a mistake?

Its interesting how the self-evident changes with time and place dont you think?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I wonder if enough people make the same mistake if its still a mistake?
    I wonder if a few people continue to persist in a mistake, does that make it not a mistake?

Its interesting how the self-evident changes with time and place dont you think?
    It's interesting how evidence changes people's perspectives, yes.

----

Who here is an atheist anyway? Just curious what the percentage is, have we polled for this?

For a potentially small group, the thread is pretty active.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I wonder if a few people continue to persist in a mistake, does that make it not a mistake?
    I know who you could ask.

It's interesting how evidence changes people's perspectives, yes.
    I can but hope. Evidence and time.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I'm not an atheist. My approach towards the world (including religion) is best understood as being something like that of this man.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

I can think of other minorities which are way more worthy of being hated

Who would have thunk?
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Iraqi Christians? Why don't they just assimilate and adopt the practices of the people around them?

What an odd thing to say.

Visit my Johari: