User Tag List

First 24323334353644 Last

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata View Post
    What I loathe is that the religious unwarrantedly gain something I so fondly regard - comprehension.
    You know, this thread is making me feel rather privileged in that I've never -- *knock on wood* -- directly talked to anyone in person who was like "You're an atheist? What's wrong with you?! I don't even"

So anyhow, what's it like to meet someone who just doesn't get atheism? What sort of things did they say?
    Likes Hard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Hardly tangential. This thread is about atheists and why some people dislike them. Using the levers of government to persecute Christian business owners figures prominently, imho, into why some people dislike them.
    Ah, so you're saying that people are prone to conflating atheism with liberalism. If you had said it like this to begin with, it wouldn't have come off as "And oh, btw, liberals are dicks too."

Anyhow, you've brought up another interesting quirk of religious perception, which Lark has helpfully demonstrated:

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What about Christians? An obvious minority you've left out there.
    Some Christians insist on seeing themselves as a persecuted minority, despite Christianity being the world's religion of plurality, as well as the numerical and political majority of most western nations. I wonder if, say, the Muslims in the middle east or the Hindus in India share this martyr complex whenever someone dares to suggest that they don't get special exemptions from the law, or if the martyr complex is mostly a Christian thing?
    Likes Hard liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia
    Ah, so you're saying that people are prone to conflating atheism with liberalism.
    Commonly referred to as secular progressives.

If you had said it like this to begin with, it wouldn't have come off as "And oh, btw, liberals are dicks too."
    About 90% overlap, so essentially the same crowd. I doubt the 60% of people who don't feel warmly towards atheists have Ayn Rand in mind.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Inexcusable for someone who claims to be so knowledgeable. It is well established that Americans, in general, do not trust atheists. It's one of the reasons why we have an informal religious test for public office.

How Americans Feel About Religious Groups | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

How would you feel if a family member were to marry an atheist? | Pew Research Center

No, 20th century ideological genocides are not the reason why. The real reason is much more complex and personal than that. There's the absurd notion that morality comes only from God, which means that atheists have no morals. There's also the subject addressed in the video below. And this is just scratching the surface.

You are a Darkmatter2525 fan, too?
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Some Christians insist on seeing themselves as a persecuted minority, despite Christianity being the world's religion of plurality, as well as the numerical and political majority of most western nations. I wonder if, say, the Muslims in the middle east or the Hindus in India share this martyr complex whenever someone dares to suggest that they don't get special exemptions from the law, or if the martyr complex is mostly a Christian thing?
    This is persecution of Christians, not requiring them to do business with all law-abiding folks in a pluralistic society.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Hard, Cellmold, Passacaglia liked this post

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Atheists: Most Self important minority in America?

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

[Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I also left out Muslims, native Americans, people with ADHD, lefties, and a whole host of other groups. I hope you didn't consider my list to be all-inclusive. I would not include "people who want to discriminate", though. If anything, these are the only folks the law should sanction, whoever they are, and unless their reasons for discriminating have some basis in objective reality (e.g. not giving Pap tests to men).
    I dont like indiscriminate people, they make really lousy choices.

I was mentioning a group who are not usually considered when the list of put upon are casually deployed. To be honest I dont like the victim mentality when its anyone or any group, I dont like groupthink either, I especially dont like people who have no direct experience of persecution advocating for others which they believe are experiencing it either, some people make careers that way and I think that is positively corrupting and damaging, to the people doing it and to the people doing it on their behalf.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I most often see this as an important message for jews to other jews.

There's a small state in the middle east which needed atrocities committed against that community for its foundation and needs that to be an on going thing too.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

There's a small state in the middle east which needed atrocities committed against that community for its foundation and needs that to be an on going thing too.
    Not following you here. If you expect me to support various Israeli policies or actions, I'm not going to do that. I'm also not going to issue an apology for it's creation, either, though.

Double bind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fact was, the rest of the world didn't give a shit during WWII. Where else would they have gone?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78