User Tag List

First 22303132333442 Last

Results 311 to 320 of 573

  1. #311
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    collective consciousness

    I wasn't aware that atheists were disliked. Might it have something to do with the 80 million or so murders committed by commie atheists in Russia and China and elsewhere?
    I don't know that atheists were/are disliked, and never made such a claim. Strident, pushy atheists often invite complaints, but then so do strident, pushy adherents to the various faiths. I suspect many of your "commie atheists" in China and especially Russia were actually closet believers, though. Old habits die hard, and it is easy to pay lip service to a party line to get ahead or simply stay alive.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  2. #312
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I wasn't aware that atheists were disliked. Might it have something to do with the 80 million or so murders committed by commie atheists in Russia and China and elsewhere?
    The International Communists killed 100 million of their own people as documented in the book, The Black Book of Communism, click on http://www.pdfarchive.info/pdf/C/Co/..._communism.pdf

    And the important thing about International Communism was that it was totalitarian, like National Socialism, and Islamism.

    Whether an ideology is theist or atheist is independent of whether it is totalitarian. And it is the totalitarians who have killed the most of their own people.
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

  3. #313
    Member Tippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Everyone believes in lots things that have not been proved scientifically. Everyone. This applies to you as well, regardless of how much you think you are a paragon of intellect and reason.
    Awesome!!!👻💰💩

  4. #314
    Senior Member Passacaglia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    I stumbled upon this gem today:

    The Psychology of Atheism

    The writer takes several stabs at determining the motivation of people to be atheists -- not one of which has anything to do with reason -- and uses Freud's oedipus complex theory to back up his speculations. Yes, that's right, atheists deny Him because He is the ultimate father figure, and as we all know men want to kill our fathers so that we can sleep with our mothers. There's also stuff in there about atheism resulting from child abuse or something.

    Oh, and FYI, the writer is a professor of psychology. At NYU.
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

  5. #315
    Member Tippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    I've been getting a kick out of reading the Christian Answers which Arthur Schopenhauer linked, and feel the need to talk about its perception of atheism. From the bottom of the page:


    As a supposedly effective evangelist, I don't know why the writer would encourage his readers to presuppose the existence of the Christian god in a conversation with atheists. I don't know about other atheists, but that'd put me on immediate guard and bring the words 'arrogant' and 'know-it-all' to mind. Which the writer amusingly thinks atheists are. Maybe he just can't help himself?

    More interestingly is the angle of his claim: The dictionary defines atheism in a technically impossible manner, and therefore there are no atheists. So, Tippo's assumption, basically. I can't decide whether this is a genuine preoccupation with the dictionary and an assumption that all atheists follow the same definition of atheism, or merely a 'Atheism doesn't exist so HA!' tactic that his readers can use to fluster and distract atheists.

    For reference, two popular dictionaries define atheism as:

    Merriam-Webster
    a: a disbelief in the existence of deity
    b: the doctrine that there is no deity

    Oxford English
    Disbelief in, or denial of, the existence of a God. Also, Disregard of duty to God, godlessness (practical atheism).

    After reading these definitions, I can see how someone who's never talked to an atheist might get some of the ideas that seem to pervade religious assumptions. The second MWD definition puts atheism in an immediately misleading religious context -- an atheist 'doctrine' sure does imply that atheism is a belief structure rather than a lack of belief. The OED definition similarly puts atheism in a religious context -- the denial and disregard of a thing sure does make it sound like an entire group of people hate that thing. Thus, the misperception that atheists really believe in God deep down, but deny Him as a sort of childish 'You're not my real Creator!' reaction.
    Someone gets me...... Intj?

  6. #316
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I wasn't aware that atheists were disliked.
    Inexcusable for someone who claims to be so knowledgeable. It is well established that Americans, in general, do not trust atheists. It's one of the reasons why we have an informal religious test for public office.

    How Americans Feel About Religious Groups | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

    How would you feel if a family member were to marry an atheist? | Pew Research Center

    Might it have something to do with the 80 million or so murders committed by commie atheists in Russia and China and elsewhere?
    No, 20th century ideological genocides are not the reason why. The real reason is much more complex and personal than that. There's the absurd notion that morality comes only from God, which means that atheists have no morals. There's also the subject addressed in the video below. And this is just scratching the surface.

    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

  7. #317
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus
    Inexcusable for someone who claims to be so knowledgeable.
    I have no interest in how atheists are received by others. When one considers how disdainful and hostile atheists are towards the Christian values of the USA, it's little wonder why people don't feel warmly towards them. When you say "atheist", what pops to mind are all the ACLU attacks on the Pledge of Allegiance, the "in God we trust" phrase on currency, the attacks on Christian businesses like that baker in Washington, and smug pricks like Bill Maher and the troll Neil Degrasse Tyson.

    If you polled Americans on how they feel towards Pen Jillette or Steven Jay Gould, you'll get a much more favorable reception because these atheists aren't haters.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

  8. #318
    Senior Member Passacaglia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tippo View Post
    Someone gets me...... Intj?
    I am indeed an INTJ, but I think you're too complicated of an individual to get so quickly.

    Also, I'm not sure which part of my hypothesizing applies to you.

  9. #319
    Senior Member Passacaglia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    When you say "atheist", what pops to mind are all the ACLU attacks on the Pledge of Allegiance, the "in God we trust" phrase on currency, the attacks on Christian businesses like that baker in Washington...
    I hesitate to ask, but I tried to google the Christian bakery thing, and had no luck. Can you recall any names?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    If you polled Americans on how they feel towards Pen Jillette or Steven Jay Gould, you'll get a much more favorable reception because these atheists aren't haters.
    I agree, the best way to overcome whatever stigma's attached to atheism is to keep cool and take the high road. It's a PR game, and we've got to be better at it than the fundy trolls.

  10. #320
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I have no interest in how atheists are received by others. When one considers how disdainful and hostile atheists are towards the Christian values of the USA, it's little wonder why people don't feel warmly towards them. When you say "atheist", what pops to mind are all the ACLU attacks on the Pledge of Allegiance, the "in God we trust" phrase on currency, the attacks on Christian businesses like that baker in Washington, and smug pricks like Bill Maher and the troll Neil Degrasse Tyson.

    If you polled Americans on how they feel towards Pen Jillette or Steven Jay Gould, you'll get a much more favorable reception because these atheists aren't haters.
    For someone claiming to have no interest, you certainly have a strong opinion on the matter, which gives me the impression that you are lying (to us or to yourself) about your interest. Regardless, your opinion is also wrong, but that's not surprising considering your willful ignorance (which you have admitted).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."
    Likes Hard liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Which type(s) do you think are the most reluctant (desinterested in) to talk about
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 02:35 PM
  2. Fox: The Most Trusted Name in News
    By Gamine in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 04:35 AM
  3. Which types recognize the most strategic value in which types?
    By simulatedworld in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-19-2009, 05:22 PM
  4. The most beautiful songs in the world...
    By maliafee in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-03-2009, 04:31 AM
  5. The most members online in one day was 360, Today
    By INTJMom in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO