The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    That was slightly too strong, perhaps. I do think though, that many people are genuinely irritated by religion and it seemed like he did make a few valid points even if they were laced with spite brought out by irritation.

Witnessing to Atheists - EffectiveEvangelism.com

This is really why Atheists are hated -- I don't think many people can just bend over and take this sort of a beating without fighting back, not only because it's annoying but also because it's opposed to what they believe is true and what seems logical.
    There are a number of problems with Ray Comfort's assertion. Firstly, Ray Comfort claims a false dichotomy: Christianity or atheism. There are many world religions, and though I see no reason for any manmade mythology to be true, they compete with Christianity as they are all backed by the same level of evidence: an ancient book or books, and tradition.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Not surprised. The study was done in 2006', ftr. In the book God Delusion, Dawkin's makes the same point: American's as a whole, distrust atheists. I'm quite sure the % of unbelievers in America is trending upwards (I'm going to be lazy and supply no link/s).
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Not surprised. The study was done in 2006', ftr. In the book God Delusion, Dawkin's makes the same point: American's as a whole, distrust atheists. I'm quite sure the % of unbelievers in America is trending upwards (I'm going to be lazy and supply no link/s).
    Polls seen to indicate that's true, but there's also some funny word games going on. More and more Americans are essentially stating they are atheist, while not using the word atheist. So, to that end, I don't know if they popular sentiments toward the label atheist have actually improved in spite of the probable increase in atheists.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Polls seen to indicate that's true, but there's also some funny word games going on. More and more Americans are essentially stating they are atheist, while not using the word atheist. So, to that end, I don't know if they popular sentiments toward the label atheist have actually improved in spite of the probable increase in atheists.
    Event Transcript: Religion Trends in the U.S. | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

Some data on the subject of what % of Americans are atheist vs. unaffiliated etc. Bottom line: mid 90's - 2013 (about 1 generation) a doubling of non affiliated from 7% to 14%

A quick aside: I recall when I heard Obama utter these words (his 2008 inaugural address)and was, for a moment, hopeful: "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus, and non-believers. We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth..."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/inaugural-address

Alas it was for naught.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think that is a transitory and necessary step , if tentative, towards the direction of increasing atheism.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I have "Islamophobia" because they kill random optometrists, fly airliners into tall buildings, and knock random girls off their motorcycles and set them on fire.

It's true. I saw it on the 11 o'clock news once. O_o

I don't know if those things have anything to do with their beliefs or not, but there you have it. That's why I'm phobic. It's not complicated. In addition to that, the good ones don't do enough to redeem their religion and instead make just about the entire rest of the world, from Britian, USA, Korea, France, or whoever, clean up for them. So I have "Islamophobia" because a great majority of "good" Muslims are too passive and cowardly to fight and let Jihads materialize to begin with. Islamophobia is nobody's doing except theirs.

Atheists are alright.. there's nothing about not believing in God that makes one inhumane. Even though I believe myself, I'm not that much of a jerk. Perhaps if they were some subset of atheism, like nihilism, I'd have reason to be concerned, but Atheism isn't necessarily nihilism.

Applicable to all who have conviction, to believe in anything without scientific proof is moronic, hence atheists are just as foolish to express their views as absolute without proof.
    Irony....

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tippo View Post
    Applicable to all who have conviction, to believe in anything without scientific proof is moronic, hence atheists are just as foolish to express their views as absolute without proof.
    Irony....
    Everyone believes in lots things that have not been proved scientifically. Everyone. This applies to you as well, regardless of how much you think you are a paragon of intellect and reason.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."
    Likes Hard, Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tippo View Post
    Irony....
    There is merit to having confidence in your worldview, even if it is not technically a "true" belief.

And, of course, there is merit in retaining and open mind.

If no body cares does Atheism still exist?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    If no body cares does Atheism still exist?
    Yes
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari