User Tag List

First 14222324252634 Last

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    I think get what Lark is saying. Atheists many times are vociferous about their thoughts, and they annoy a lot of people for that. Like that dickhead Richard Dawkins.
    Yes, I've the same feeling. Maybe it explain in part why atheist are the most disliked, even more than muslim. But U.S government have never bombarded any atheist, so, it's quite relative.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Atheism is an element of Communist ideology, so please stop dancing around the issue.
    Atheism is a component of orthodox Marxism, but it is in no way an integral one. Otherwise, Cuba wouldn't tolerate Roman Catholicism to the level that it currently does.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well here I was thinking that poorly educated, working-class white rural Southerners were the most disliked minority in America.

They are a minority?

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Atheism is a component of orthodox Marxism, but it is in no way an integral one. Otherwise, Cuba wouldn't tolerate Roman Catholicism to the level that it currently does.
    Atheism is an integral part of Marxism but toleration is also an integral part too, in one of his collections of notes there was discovered annotation Marx had made on Bakunin's articles of faith of one of his secret anarchist brotherhoods, Marx attacks Bakunin's idea that religion should be stamped out, suggesting that this is actually antithetical to the aim of causing religion to receed in influence.

Marx felt that religion was a reflection of culture and consciousness at a particular point in historical/economic development, "pie in the sky" or "the heart of a heartless world" would only be necessary until the day that super abundance wiped out the psychological need for the longevity implicit in hopes of immortality.

However, actually attacking or suppressing religion Marx felt would only serve to extend religion's lifespan beyond obsolescence, his work is replete with comparisons between religion and monarchy or other social constructs he felt where relics of a by gone age if you know where to look.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Well here I was thinking that poorly educated, working-class white rural Southerners were the most disliked minority in America.
    You may think that because you live in California.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    To address the OP; I don't think atheists are actually the most disliked minority in America, despite consistent public opinion polls suggesting that's the case.

There's islamophobia, there's homophobia, but there's no atheist-o-phobia. They face little bigotry and prejudice as a group, partially because they rarely group together.
    Yeah, what is islamophobia? Is it a suggestion of fear of muslims or muslim practices? If its not then its not the same as homophobia, which is the fear of homosexuals or homosexual practices.

Neither of those things could be considered synonymous with bigotry and prejudice as a group.

Neither should phobia, bigotry or prejudice be confused with straight forward objection to islam or homosexuality but they frequently are. Perhaps it just that unlike those scenes or identities atheism isnt as politicised or profiled by either of the two big cultural push and pull forces.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    You may think that because you live in California.
    I was born and raised in a semi-rural part of West Virginia. I went to high school in a suburb just outside of Raleigh, NC. I've only been in CA this time...for about four or five months. My perception of the world - on television, people I've met outside of the South - is that poorly educated, rural white working class Southerners i.e. "rednecks" are acceptable for people to hate. I don't seriously think they're the most hated minority, but I do think it's kind of like the last acceptable form of racism. People would hiss and possibly throw things if you made fun of poorly educated working class African Americans or Mexicans that openly. But mocking hicks is all good.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I was born and raised in a semi-rural part of West Virginia. I went to high school in a suburb just outside of Raleigh, NC. I've only been in CA this time...for about four or five months. My perception of the world - on television, people I've met outside of the South - is that poorly educated, rural white working class Southerners i.e. "rednecks" are acceptable for people to hate. I don't seriously think they're the most hated minority, but I do think it's kind of like the last acceptable form of racism. People would hiss and possibly throw things if you made fun of poorly educated working class African Americans or Mexicans that openly. But mocking hicks is all good.
    What's ironic, is that the mocking of "rednecks" is often done in the name of anti-racism and tolerance for all races and peoples.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    What's ironic, is that the mocking of "rednecks" is often done in the name of anti-racism and tolerance for all races and peoples.
    We're all just so morally consistent here, aren't we?