User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I have no plans to go to Poland.
    I'm sure they're disappointed to hear that.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Poland is really, really Catholic. It was also one of the few European countries that had an overall positive opinion of George Bush.

I have no plans to go to Poland.
    Wow! Dont be so hastey now, the Polish RC intellectuals are people like Kolakowski, serious MP check out his stuff its amazing, even his huge ass history of Marxism is a worthy piece of work despite the bitterness which is shot all through it, seriously good philosophy and the humour is second to none, his Modernism On Endless Trial is unmissable.

The Polish are a lot like the Irish too, the disapora which has taken place with their entering into the EU is spreading out hard working people who really add to the communities they go to for the most part. Their women are amazing looking.

It is a million miles from the sorts of latin rim countries like Spain and their frankly scary atavistic version of RCC in which glorious, lavish and expensive icons and statues adorn churches surrounded by tin roof and concrete block tenaments. Place is definitely going to turn fascist again.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yeah people often speak of Europe as if their attitudes towards religion are uniform, when they're not. There's areas of Europe that are more devout, and there are areas that are more secular. Generally speaking the eastern half tends to be more religious than the Western half - but again that's a rough generalization.
    Yes, well, people talk about us as if your attitudes toward religion are uniform, so we just like to respond in kind.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Yes, well, people talk about us as if your attitudes toward religion are uniform, so we just like to respond in kind.
    Statistics don't lie!

Honestly though. The religiosity of your politicians is rather shocking to much of the free world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Statistics don't lie!

Honestly though. The religiosity of your politicians is rather shocking to much of the free world.
    A lot of it's for show, though, you know, like all those shots of Putin with his shirt off.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'm sure they're disappointed to hear that.
    But they'll probably still accept your asylum application when the tea party emergency dictatorship, er, I mean provisional government is established.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    But they'll probably still accept your asylum application when the tea party emergency dictatorship, er, I mean provisional government is established.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Ginkgo

Statistics don't lie!

It is for show, and it's to keep from being burned.

Remember that the U.S. has its roots in Puritanism, and as such has its roots in witch burning. Witches were burned because they were accused of dealing with the Devil. And if the Devil whispered in your ear, you were only redeemed if you admitted your affiliation with him.

And then McCarthy blew the whistle on the second Red Scare, and in doing so, he revived the witch hunt. You were convicted if you made deals with the Communists.

McCarthy made a point in convolution of the public opinion into thinking that there was a substantial internal threat to the United States where there was none. Just like the Puritans thought there was an internal threat to their purity where there was none. Ah, but scratch that. The biggest threat were those who casted stones at the innocent.

So it's pretty easy to see that we have an intertwined child begotten from Puritanism and Politics. Atheists are thought of as dealing with the Devil, and are therefore thought of as un-American, even to many liberals.

Doesn't it just warm your heart?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Generally, I don't think much of the attitudes towards atheism in this country.

However, when it really, really gets under my skin is A) when someone wants to convert me, something I am nowhere near arrogant enough to do to another human being whom I assume has well-reasoned beliefs that are no worse than mine B) when it is casually suggested that I (I consider myself a mostly good person) will burn in hell for all eternity simply because I am an atheist, something that no one should believe or put up with in anything they worship with all their might and is tantamount to worshipping an even more deadly and pain-inducing genocidal maniac in my eyes and C) when people I assume I have no morality because I do not believe in God. Morality DOES NOT need a basis in the divine. Ask Aristotle. Or Kant. Or Mill. Or Rand, except not her cause what a horrendous bitch.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It's interesting to think that the group that is the most reviled might also be the group that is most willing to protect other people. But this got me thinking: are atheists more or less moral, more or less altruistic? It might depend on the way the person arrived at their atheism. I consider myself atheist by traditional standards, but more moral than a great majority of so-called religious people. I can also see, however, how an immature atheist would disregard moral responsibilities entirely. If anyone's got any data or thoughts, please share.

It was a joke.
    Don't worry about it. I'm the only person who ever gets my jokes.
    LOL, true