IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm saying they're hated because of what they do to deserve that, and if the US is anything like the UK its because they are vociferous, hostile, angry, whinging, moaning and insistant.
    God. This is funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    These kind of statistics always make me wonder how different the American culture really is from us. Almost fifty percent wouldn't let a child marry an atheist?! I guess here no one would even dare to say anything like that in order to not look like a fool and a control freak.
    Americans don't mind looking like fools. Just take a look at their presidents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    established US thought
    What a disquieting notion...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    What a disquieting notion...
    Do you mean that there's no US status quo/tradition/establishment, or that you are disquieted by the status quo/tradition/establishment?
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    (Emphasis mine.) I've heard that there are practicing Jews who don't believe in God. To them, the practice matters, not the belief.
    See, there's a joke that goes like this:

Two rabbis were arguing over dinner, as usual. Eventually, the subject of God and His existence came up, and after long and heated debate, the first rabbi had managed to prove to the second that, objectively, once and for all, God did not exist.

The next day, when they were both going to shul, the second rabbi stopped and said, "If God doesn't exist, why are we doing this at all?" The first rabbi kept going and called back, "What does that have to do with anything?"

There are also many Jews who do believe in God but don't practice. Really, Jewish relationships with God tend to be, err, complicated.

In America, at least in the not superreligious community, Christians go in lifecycles. They are indoctrinated by their parents and the Church when they're little, they grow up and become less religious, they marry and have kids and decide to get closer to the Church for their kids' sake, then once the kids are grown up they become less religious, and then as they grow old they return to the Church because they don't fulfill social needs through work anymore and to find solace for when they eventually die. Aside from the oddball person who "finds God" after addiction or whatever, that's how it goes, and why something like 77% of all Americans can identify themselves as Christians.

Apparently this is not the case in Europe. You're either religious or you're not. This is probably where quite a bit gets lost in translation.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP

Default Yeah

[QUOTE=Haphazard;1264327]See, there's a joke that goes like this:
    In America, at least in the not superreligious community, Christians go in lifecycles. They are indoctrinated by their parents and the Church when they're little, they grow up and become less religious, they marry and have kids and decide to get closer to the Church for their kids' sake, then once the kids are grown up they become less religious, and then as they grow old they return to the Church because they don't fulfill social needs through work anymore and to find solace for when they eventually die. Aside from the oddball person who "finds God" after addiction or whatever, that's how it goes, and why something like 77% of all Americans can identify themselves as Christians.
    QUOTE]

Yeah, aside from the evangelical maniacs inflicting Jesus Camp and even Jesus Camp lite experiences on the kiddos, this does seem to be the case.
    I think it may be changing a little, though, I would not be surprised to see today's youngins be lifelong secularists, at least here in the northeast.
    I also don't doubt that evangelicals are starting to be disliked just as much as the vocal atheists.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

[QUOTE=Baltar;1264513]
    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    See, there's a joke that goes like this:
    QUOTE]

Yeah, aside from the evangelical maniacs inflicting Jesus Camp and even Jesus Camp lite experiences on the kiddos, this does seem to be the case.
    I think it may be changing a little, though, I would not be surprised to see today's youngins be lifelong secularists, at least here in the northeast.
    I also don't doubt that evangelicals are starting to be disliked just as much as the vocal atheists.
    Well if entropy is anything to go by you could be entirely correct. I tend to hope the worst case scenario wont come to pass.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The problem is that you are all comparing the USA to western/central Europe, developed commonwealth nations like Canada and Australia, or maybe places like Japan.

It's easier to understand a lot about the USA if you instead consider it of the same class as Russia and China.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Do you mean that there's no US status quo/tradition/establishment, or that you are disquieted by the status quo/tradition/establishment?
    It was a joke.
    Don't worry about it. I'm the only person who ever gets my jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Apparently this is not the case in Europe. You're either religious or you're not.
    Err...no. Not really. Plenty of indoctrination goes on here too. It's just not always sanctioned by the state.
    Plus, you know, Europe is quite a big place...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Sniffles

Yeah people often speak of Europe as if their attitudes towards religion are uniform, when they're not. There's areas of Europe that are more devout, and there are areas that are more secular. Generally speaking the eastern half tends to be more religious than the Western half - but again that's a rough generalization.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Poland is really, really Catholic. It was also one of the few European countries that had an overall positive opinion of George Bush.

I have no plans to go to Poland.
    Go to sleep, iguana.