Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by angell_m View Post
    I don't follow what you're saying?
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post
    I'd like to see domestic stats, but one Pew comparison of various countries on the wealth-religion relation:

Source
    Not surprising. Notice how spiritual/religious ascetics relinquish their belongings and wealth. This is to redirect energy from the material to the immaterial or spiritual. There are also those who think that faith is a balm for the impoverished; and, in some cases, materialism smothers faith.

I think that atheists are generally thought of as anarchists of the spirit. The image is generally of a person who is out to undermine all values; mostly because the U.S. has its roots in Puritanical beliefs. Marilyn Manson comes to mind. It's also been said that humanism (yes, the general belief to safeguard humanity) is some sort of bane to Religiosity in the U.S. This is usually because many humanists insists that the human is core to moral and ethical principles, rather than God.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It's still a matter of religious intolerance. When the Soviet government was avowedly atheist and persecuted the religious, was that not religiously intolerant? Well, vice versa would be the same principle. Attacking a lack of belief is the same as attacking a different belief.
    You're probably right but I don't think the average survey participant will see it that way.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I do feel as though too many atheists have fallen into this strange trap of indulging in the ego because of their beliefs. The thing is, when this ego becomes too great it leads to hyperbole and prejudice and these two things are offensive to me.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    I don't follow what you're saying?
    In that case, just watch this - it's far more on topic:

[youtube="i20vLIgBt4M"]1[/youtube]

[youtube="hEPSY9FSYMY"]2[/youtube]

[youtube="I-xBu8y-Ao4"]3[/youtube]

[youtube="zuqT97evBfE"]4[/youtube]

[youtube="-W54UQP3Hr8"]5[/youtube]

[youtube="j5qE8-79buI"]6[/youtube]

[youtube="1v0xpz6qtJc"]7[/youtube]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think get what Lark is saying. Atheists many times are vociferous about their thoughts, and they annoy a lot of people for that. Like that dickhead Richard Dawkins.
    Well, I'm sure you're aware this is a strong generalization, like saying all gays are flamboyant, but at the same time a lot of Christians and other religions are extremely open about their beliefs. People approach me in the street to ask me about Jesus. There's channels fully dedicated to exclusively Christianity (such as that god-awful 700 Club. A lot of Fox News commentators appeal to God in an irritating manner also). An entire section of my local bookstore is labeled "Christian inspiration", and I see people wearing shirts advertising churches or Jesus or wearing crosses daily. I don't know why when a few atheists are vocal in some equally strong and visible measure, it's any worse a reflection on atheism than people like Falwell, Robertson, Phelps, Haggard or a myriad of others. Hell, for me personally, I'd take the arrogant prickishness of Maher, Hitchens or Dawkins over those hate-mongers any day.

Anyone have any good reports or graphs on correlations between Theism and income?

Generally speaking, and I may be off, but in my eyes, I kind of see Theists making up more of the lower class (rednecks in the Bible Belt?) and Atheists (potentially) hovering more in the Middle and Upper classes. But again, this may be more of an age thing rather than a class thing.
    Well, there is an mostly non-debated connection between atheism and education, so I'd imagine income levels are similarly, on average, higher for atheists (obviously, education connects to income level too).

Atheists do seem to have lower rates of divorce than Christians, however.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Well, I'm sure you're aware this is a strong generalization, like saying all gays are flamboyant, but at the same time a lot of Christians and other religions are extremely open about their beliefs. People approach me in the street to ask me about Jesus. There's channels fully dedicated to exclusively Christianity (such as that god-awful 700 Club. A lot of Fox News commentators appeal to God in an irritating manner also). An entire section of my local bookstore is labeled "Christian inspiration", and I see people wearing shirts advertising churches or Jesus or wearing crosses daily. I don't know why when a few atheists are vocal in some equally strong and visible measure, it's any worse a reflection on atheism than people like Falwell, Robertson, Phelps, Haggard or a myriad of others. Hell, for me personally, I'd take the arrogant prickishness of Maher, Hitchens or Dawkins over those hate-mongers any day.
    I've given my explanation of why that's the case in an earlier post here. It's a couple pages back.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    You're probably right but I don't think the average survey participant will see it that way.
    You mean pure_mercury is going to be at odds with the average American on a philosophical issue? Stop the freakin' presses.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

I've given my explanation of why that's the case in an earlier post here. It's a couple pages back.
    i think the point is that just because your explanation might be true, it doesn't mean that it grants permission to generalize like you did in the initial post. It perhaps explains why people surveyed are seeing it that way, if that's what you were getting at, but it doesn't mean it's an acceptable line of thought. Statistically speaking, they are a lot more likely to know more Christians than they do Atheists.. so for them to say that one vociferous Atheist equals "many atheists" is somehow accurate while one vociferous Christian apparently doesn't equal "many Christians" isn't a very satisfying conclusion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    As a matter of fact, what do you have against Richard Dawkins?

At least, he teaches in Oxford university, and was already famous as a scientist before he became famous as an Atheist.
    In my mind this is a mark against him instead of a mark in his favor. I tend to respect a scientist when he is speaking about science. The fact that he is speaking about religion makes him seem ignorant. If I had metaphysical questions then I'd want to listen to someone who was an expert in religion or philosophy.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com