User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 155

  1. #31
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    There is definitely a bit of that going on.
    Well, this is how I break this down.

    If someone were motivated to emphasize this event because of the hypocrisy of it, then they would be even more motived to highlight the hypocrisy of other, more important events. Corrupt policemen, war crimes, and other impending and repugnant events would be in the limelight.

    Which leads me to believe that people stigmatize the Catholic Church and homosexuality simply because... it's homosexuality in the Catholic Church. Maybe because they don't like one or the other, or because it's humorous, or shocking.

    And if it is more shocking than the other problems in society, then clearly we have been numbed, and our priorities are totally fucked.

  2. #32
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Well, this is how I break this down.

    If someone were motivated to emphasize this event because of the hypocrisy of it, then they would be even more motived to highlight the hypocrisy of other, more important events. Corrupt policemen, war crimes, and other impending and repugnant events would be in the limelight.

    Which leads me to believe that people stigmatize the Catholic Church and homosexuality simply because... it's homosexuality in the Catholic Church. Maybe because they don't like one or the other, or because it's humorous, or shocking.

    And if it is more shocking than the other problems in society, then clearly we have been numbed, and our priorities are totally fucked.
    It's because the Church takes such a prominent political position on the subject. Plenty of other denominations oppose homosexual behavior. Few are as vocal about it as Rome is.

  3. #33
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It's because the Church takes such a prominent political position on the subject. Plenty of other denominations oppose homosexual behavior. Few are as vocal about it as Rome is.
    Really? They may indeed be opposed to homosexual behaviour in principle, but their position seems relatively moderate compared to some of the Conservative protestant denominations, particularly in the US. There's a big difference between stating that those who identify as homosexual are called upon to practice chastity, as the Catholic church does, and saying that they are going to be burning in hell, as some of the conservative Protestant ones do, at any rate...
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

  4. #34
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Really? They may indeed be opposed to homosexual behaviour in principle, but their position seems relatively moderate compared to some of the Conservative protestant denominations, particularly in the US. There's a big difference between stating that those who identify as homosexual are called upon to practice chastity, as the Catholic church does, and saying that they are going to be burning in hell, as some of the conservative Protestant ones do, at any rate...
    The Church's message is a bit closer to the Protestant message in Italy, where the footage had been shot.

  5. #35
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    The Church's message is a bit closer to the Protestant message in Italy, where the footage had been shot.
    Got any links to what they've actually been saying? Or can you summarise their position?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

  6. #36
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Got any links to what they've actually been saying? Or can you summarise their position?
    Here's an example:

    Gays shouldn’t be given funerals, argues Italian bishop - PinkPaper.com

  7. #37
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Really? They may indeed be opposed to homosexual behaviour in principle, but their position seems relatively moderate compared to some of the Conservative protestant denominations, particularly in the US. There's a big difference between stating that those who identify as homosexual are called upon to practice chastity, as the Catholic church does, and saying that they are going to be burning in hell, as some of the conservative Protestant ones do, at any rate...
    The Catholic church is seen as the world's main authority on social issues relating to the gospel and they are most definitely not accepting of homosexuality.

  8. #38
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Interesting... he certainly does seem quite extreme. I wonder how much of that was a knee-jerk reaction to the news that came in just before about members of the Vatican being involved in prostitution?

    Edit: he does seem to be somewhat conflicting with the spirit of the official Catholic position on homosexuality, as stated in the relevant cachetism, with comments like these.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    "In comparison"? That is irrelevant. The Catholic church is seen as the world's main authority on social issues relating to the gospel and they are most definitely not accepting of homosexuality.
    1) What are you talking about? I was responding to the previous poster's comment that the Catholic Church's perspective as opposed to that of other Christian denominations was particularly extreme. Of course it's relevant. :rolli:
    2) How do you define them as the "world's main authority", and what does that have to do with anything?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

  9. #39
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    1) What are you talking about? I was responding to the previous poster's comme and people around the nt that the Catholic Church's perspective as opposed to that of other Christian denominations was particularly extreme. Of course it's relevant. :rolli:
    2) How do you define them as the "world's main authority", and what does that have to do with anything?
    I'm saying that it really doesn't matter which denominations stress the penalties for homosexuality or other sexual misconducts the harshest, because it's still flat-out wrong across the board to any of these churches. You're speaking like it's trivial for this to be mentioned because the catholic church doesn't even seem to take such an aggressive stance on the subject, as compared to other conservative protestant groups. The Catholic church is perceived as the most vocal and political denomination in Christianity, and that's not within the U.S. but the world as a whole. That is why this is a news story.

  10. #40
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    And I agreed that the media's fixation on these issues is due largely in part to a stigma towards religious authority.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-15-2016, 08:49 PM
  2. Here Comes Another One
    By Thursday in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
  3. Another one of those crazy INFPs
    By BrendenTheMendicant in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 09:54 PM
  4. 'Oh no, not another one!'
    By Koanashi in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 07:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO