User Tag List

First 513141516 Last

I actually feel bad for Gibson, if you consider his family background it was a bit messed up, he gets a break with Mad Max and then other movies, now he has more money than sense and any mistake he makes gets megaphoned. That said he is being a dick head, seriously, he should cut it out, what its got to do with catholicism I dont know and I dont know what the Irish Independent is doing. Uncharacteristic for them.

You know that Gibson isnt strictly speaking an RC though, I heard that at least his dad had created some sort of splinter group which was radically atavistic and too conservative for even some of the ultras within the Church establishment.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I actually feel bad for Gibson, if you consider his family background it was a bit messed up, he gets a break with Mad Max and then other movies, now he has more money than sense and any mistake he makes gets megaphoned. That said he is being a dick head, seriously, he should cut it out, what its got to do with catholicism I dont know and I dont know what the Irish Independent is doing. Uncharacteristic for them.

You know that Gibson isnt strictly speaking an RC though, I heard that at least his dad had created some sort of splinter group which was radically atavistic and too conservative for even some of the ultras within the Church establishment.
    His dad was a severe anti-semite. I agree strongly that he isn't acting like a good Catholic, but since he made the Passion and is more vocal about his faith, a few people angry at the Church will use the opportunity to take another cheap shot at it.

On a side note, Oksana is probably a bitch, but that doesn't excuse him, if in fact he was abusive.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    His dad was a severe anti-semite. I agree strongly that he isn't acting like a good Catholic, but since he made the Passion and is more vocal about his faith, a few people angry at the Church will use the opportunity to take another cheap shot at it.

On a side note, Oksana is probably a bitch, but that doesn't excuse him, if in fact he was abusive.
    Personally I think its a mistake to consider The Passion as representative of the RCC or even Christianity, there was serious sectarianism over it here in NI and protestants demonstrated against it, suggesting it was unbiblical, all the usual anti-RC litany and some of my protestant evangelist presbytarian friends asked me pretty weird questions about scenes in the movie and made connections with some arcane RC visionary St. Therese.

To be honest I think of The Passion as a religiously themed horror film but just as I dont believe The Exorcist is a "gospel truth" account of Exorcism I dont think that The Passion represents Catholicism.

I laughed at the statements Gibson made about how he would direct a version of The Ten Commandments next when he was getting attacked for being anti-semitic, the allegations that it was anti-semitic really pissed me off, I was bewildered at the Christians in the US splintering in response to that, asking themselves was it and splitting into their respective evangelical camps.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Evangelist Presbyterians, really? Calvinists go door to door?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Evangelist Presbyterians, really? Calvinists go door to door?
    Protestants here in NI would describe themselves as all evangelist, meaning that they believe everyone should convert to their faith or, much more importantly since they dont often split hairs among one another, abandon their own/alternative faith, ie doesnt matter what sort of protestant you are so long as you arent RCC, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu etc. etc.

Thumbs down Institutional Power

Pedophiles seek out postitions of authority to make their crimes easier to commit. It's not the power that is the root problem, because pedophiles are pedophiles before they are given a collar.
    Unfortunately this was not individual paedophiles. This was paedophile rings, run within an international institution, for centuries.

It was the perfect expression of institutional power.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Unfortunately this was not individual paedophiles. This was paedophile rings, run within an international institution, for centuries.

It was the perfect expression of institutional power.
    It's proof that priests had power, but not proof that the actual power/authority they had was the cause of the crime. The authority is is like the car the thief uses to get to the jewelry store.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Thumbs down

It's proof that priests had power, but not proof that the actual power/authority they had was the cause of the crime. The authority is is like the car the thief uses to get to the jewelry store.
    Liberal Democracy is based on the limitation of power, while this institution is based on the maximisation of power.

And power is maximised under a medieval monarch with an obedient hierarchy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Moved a bunch of posts containing flames and namecalling and so forth to the Graveyard.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Liberal Democracy is based on the limitation of power, while this institution is based on the maximisation of power.

And power is maximised under a medieval monarch with an obedient hierarchy.
    Unfortunately, I can't accept the relevance of anything in this post in accordance with the conversation. In fact, it quite stinks of anti-Catholicism for a couple of reasons, but notably because you've offered nothing contributive to the assumption that the RCC is based on maximizing its own power.

I'm trying to engage you, which by some people's standards is more than generous, but this kind of suggestion is not pertinent or conducive. It doesn't even relate to the post it's supposed to be a response to.
    Johari Nohari