User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    This may be true, but seriously, heroin is still very unhealthy are one of the more addictive drugs available.
    I've done it a bit. Never used a needle, though. It's easy to have an allergic reaction to it. Itchiness, red and splotchy face, inability to urinate/defecate, and severe nausea are common. Some of the prescription opioids are just as bad, if not worse, though. Smoking raw opium was much more pleasurable (and, to me, addictively seductive).

And the question is why should they have the government giving people fixes? That's quite a bit different from just legalizing it.
    They shouldn't. Legalizing would be more than enough. Even decriminalization would help tremendously.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    NICE

The last major study in the UK confirmed the benefits of supplying real heroin. The study is here:

Harm Reduction Journal | Full text | Methodology for the Randomised Injecting Opioid Treatment Trial (RIOTT): evaluating injectable methadone and injectable heroin treatment versus optimised oral methadone treatment in the UK

As always happens, the government usually bury anything that appears costly (£15,000 pa) or gives them cold feet. This is against figures three times as much to imprison for a year and huge costs to the insurance industry.

It's a pity that perceived public displeasure scuppers these programmes being implimented.

Edit: A more digestable summary - BBC NEWS | UK | Heroin supply clinic 'cuts crime'

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Are they helping these addicts get off the drug or are they just feeding their addiction?
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

That's a rather loaded question.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    That's a rather loaded question.
    What do you mean?
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

You phrased it in a way that both choices are looked upon as negative. Kind of like the "Are you still beating your wife?" kind of questions. You imply that the people who choose to take heroin are bad people.

I'm assuming what you meant was that is Switzerland hoping this will stop people from abusing heroin or if they are just feeding an addiction, I would say that it's a pragmatic step towards the former. If you accept that a certain portion of the population will use heroin no matter what, the best solution becomes to give them a way to use it as safely as possible. This will lead to lowered violence and slow the spread of blood-borne illnesses. It may also lead to some people getting help and stopping. It takes away the stigma of criminality which means its easier for someone to get help fighting the addiction.

That's my take on it anyway.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Are they helping these addicts get off the drug or are they just feeding their addiction?
    What do you care?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    You phrased it in a way that both choices are looked upon as negative. Kind of like the "Are you still beating your wife?" kind of questions. You imply that the people who choose to take heroin are bad people.
    I don't know how you came to this conclusion.

I'm assuming what you meant was that is Switzerland hoping this will stop people from abusing heroin or if they are just feeding an addiction, I would say that it's a pragmatic step towards the former. If you accept that a certain portion of the population will use heroin no matter what, the best solution becomes to give them a way to use it as safely as possible. This will lead to lowered violence and slow the spread of blood-borne illnesses.
    Sterility, to me, seems like a bonus to go with free drugs. Safety is alluring and will cause addicts to feel more comfortable using. I don't see how this is not going to feed addictions unless these hospitals institute some kind of mandatory recovery session that these users must attend.

It may also lead to some people getting help and stopping. It takes away the stigma of criminality which means its easier for someone to get help fighting the addiction.
    I think differently. Removing the stigma of criminality will only offer more comfort for drug addicts. It will make it easier to do drugs; it will remove many of those negative incentives.

That's my take on it anyway.
    Aye.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Why do you care?
    Much better.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Much better.
    My bet is that you - and those like you - do not actually care at all for the welfare of heroin users. You posture about the evils of addiction - but the outcomes that are generated at government policy level, on behalf of people like you, simply generate lose-lose scenarios, with the heroin users invariably coming off worse.

If you had bothered to to read the clinical study posted, it would have answered your question, at least within the limits of the study's remit. You never bothered your shirt, did you?

It's a pity you prefer a soundbite to documented medical research. Your mind is not as magnificent as you seem to think.

All the best.