User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ENTJ

To all of those saying how ridiculous it is by US law:

This isn't the US. It's Israel. Their house, their rules. If in the country ixelwoop you were sentenced to death by hedgehog impalement for not wearing green pants with rainbow-colored polka dots on Nov. 11th every year, then so be it.

Dumb? Maybe, maybe not. But it isn't the US, so the verdict stands.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

MBTI
    INTJ

BREAKING NEWS: Authorities tend to be harsh to outsiders when they engage in hijinks against the local populace.

More at 11.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    This isn't the US. It's Israel. Their house, their rules.
    Dumb? Maybe, maybe not. But it isn't the US, so the verdict stands.
    A country can do whatever their military strength allows. But it does not mean that they are above criticism from a philosophical perspective.

Having policies like this will serve only serve to alienate a nation from potential friends.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    A country can do whatever their military strength allows. But it does not mean that they are above criticism from a philosophical perspective.

Having policies like this will serve only serve to alienate a nation from potential friends.
    I'm sure there are U.S. laws that Israel would consider stupid. Among many other people. I can think of a few off the top of my head.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

In the verdict, deputy president of the Jerusalem district court Tzvi Segal, along with fellow judges Moshe Drori and Yoram Noam, wrote that although this wasn't "a classical rape by force," and the sex was consensual, the consent itself was obtained through deception and under false pretenses.
    ROFLcopter!

Lies a rape does not make...

If I have sex with somebody because they claim they love me, but it turns out they lied, do I get to sue them?

Typical Israel. -_-

*edit*

What do you think would have happened if the ethnic factor was reversed?
    I don't foresee any Jewish men being sent to the slammer for porking Arab women under false pretenses any time soon...

And for that matter, if they're going to get all theocratic, they should have worried about that whore having premarital sex long before they worried about the guy lieing.
    It wasn't even a first date, for Christ's sake, it was just some douche she met on the street?!
    Sheesh...
    Last edited by Fan.of.Devin; 08-09-2010 at 03:59 AM. Reason: And another thing...
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

*doublepost*

Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    She could have possibly gotten him on fraud in the U.S.

Common law fraud has nine elements:[2][3]

1. a representation of an existing fact;
    2. its materiality;
    3. its falsity;
    4. the speaker's knowledge of its falsity;
    5. the speaker's intent that it shall be acted upon by the plaintiff;
    6. plaintiff's ignorance of its falsity;
    7. plaintiff's reliance on the truth of the representation;
    8. plaintiff's right to rely upon it; and
    9. consequent damages suffered by plaintiff.
    Eh... Maybe.
    I think a case presented as such would be laughed out of existence before it even made it to court... I want to say no lawyer in the US is that stupid, but I guess I wouldn't be shocked if I were proven wrong, heh. xD

As far as I know, what makes fraud into, well, fraud, is the above mentioned stuff being done with the intent of... "personal gain or to damage another individual."
    In other words, just lieing doesn't necessarily constitute fraud.
    If I tell my friend I'll meet him for lunch in 30 minutes at a certain restaurant, but I'm lieing, and he still shows up, I've been a jerk but no fraud has occurred. However, if I call a pizza guy and order 20 large cheese and pepperoni pizzas on behalf of my neighbor... Then it's a different story.
    I think this would be an EXTREMELY hard case to make, and if it somehow miraculously ended up in a guilty verdict, while I seriously doubt it would even go to court in the first place, it would almost definitely be appealed afterward.
    What's the possible personal gain, or harm inflicted, and what are the losses to be compensated for?
    In this sense, consensual sex is not legally much different from consensual conversation, I don't think... I couldn't picture someone being charged with fraud for starting a conversation with someone under false pretenses.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    To all of those saying how ridiculous it is by US law:

This isn't the US. It's Israel.
    What's wrong with discussing possible verdicts in the U.S?

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Townsend View Post
    I think a case presented as such would be laughed out of existence before it even made it to court... I want to say no lawyer in the US is that stupid, but I guess I wouldn't be shocked if I were proven wrong, heh.
    Here's a list of idiotic cases that went to court and three even won. Whether cases are 'laughable' or not, it is the court's job to objectively determine (in accordance with the law) if the plaintiff should receive compensation or if the defendant shall receive some type of punishment.

As far as I know, what makes fraud into, well, fraud, is the above mentioned stuff being done with the intent of... "personal gain or to damage another individual."
    In other words, just lieing doesn't necessarily constitute fraud.
    This isn't just lying, this is lying to get something from someone you normally wouldn't be getting if you told the truth. That makes it fraud. However, we can't be entirely sure if she never would have slept with him if she knew he were Arab. We also don't know if she were actually caused any mental suffering over this or if she's just being spiteful.

What's the possible personal gain, or harm inflicted, and what are the losses to be compensated for?
    Maybe he just wanted to say he tricked a woman and then got to have sex with her. Maybe she was just another notch on his belt, all I can do is speculate. What I do know is that he did this for some type of personal gain, whether it was physical or mental.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    This isn't just lying, this is lying to get something from someone you normally wouldn't be getting if you told the truth. That makes it fraud. However, we can't be entirely sure if she never would have slept with him if she knew he were Arab. We also don't know if she were actually caused any mental suffering over this or if she's just being spiteful.

Maybe he just wanted to say he tricked a woman and then got to have sex with her. Maybe she was just another notch on his belt, all I can do is speculate. What I do know is that he did this for some type of personal gain, whether it was physical or mental.
    I think the "personal gain" involved needs to be some sort of measurable capital gain in order to constitute fraud, though.

Although, now I wonder, if a breach of contract suit might have worked...
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Townsend View Post
    I think the "personal gain" involved needs to be some sort of measurable capital gain in order to constitute fraud, though.

Although, now I wonder, if a breach of contract suit might have worked...
    I didn't find any legal definition of 'personal gain', but I don't believe it has to be a measurable capital gain.

-Update-
    He was freed and he claims he never said he was Jewish.