MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Sherrod Not Sure She'd Go Back

story link

WASHINGTON — The woman at the center of a racially tinged firestorm involving the Obama administration and the NAACP said Wednesday she doesn't know if she'd return to her job at the Agriculture Department, even if asked.

"I am just not sure how I would be treated there," Shirley Sherrod said in a nationally broadcast interview. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said Wednesday he would reconsider the department's decision to oust Sherrod over her comments that she didn't give a white farmer as much help as she could have 24 years ago.

The White House called the Agriculture Department Tuesday night after more information about Sherrod's remarks emerged, a White House official said. The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the call, said the White House and the department agreed that the case should be reviewed based on the new evidence...
    Thoughts... not just about the incident itself, but about the media and political environment that might contribute to the way this entire story was handled?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    story link

Thoughts... not just about the incident itself, but about the media and political environment that might contribute to the way this entire story was handled?
    Sounds pretty hostile. The media and political environment I mean.

Which I reckon is bad, not only is it likely that innocent or dumb remarks could get taken for thought out bigotry but it makes discussion impossible. Never really a good thing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Well, I watched Rachel last night and she scolded the present administration for firing people based on reports by Fox News. If that's what's really going on, then I'm not sure I'd want to go back, either. However if it were me personally, I would go back as long as the record was publicly corrected. (So if she doesn't, I don't blame her. I can certainly see why.)

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Well, I watched Rachel last night and she scolded the present administration for firing people based on reports by Fox News. If that's what's really going on, then I'm not sure I'd want to go back, either. However if it were me personally, I would go back as long as the record was publicly corrected. (So if she doesn't, I don't blame her. I can certainly see why.)
    You know incredible and all as it seems I can see why an administration would fire people on the basis of reports by Fox, its the same as the power weilded in the UK by tabloids like The Sun, Express or Mail.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

She should get as many chances as Mel Gibson.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Personally, I would hope this will give all sides pause and at least get them to see what their fear and hate-mongering is doing. But I think this will be forgotten very quickly, and I'm an optimist!

As for Sherrod, I don't think she needs her job back. She should write a book, go on a speaking tour, see it made into a movie and then run for presidency of the NAACP Jealous cost her her job, it's only fair that she gets his, no?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Sounds pretty hostile. The media and political environment I mean.

Which I reckon is bad, not only is it likely that innocent or dumb remarks could get taken for thought out bigotry but it makes discussion impossible. Never really a good thing.
    The thing that really stinks is that she was trying to make anti-bigotry remarks and it got twisted to show something totally 180 degrees opposite. It seems like we are living in an age where we prefer watching and making judgement based on highlight reels as opposed to actually trying to listen and understand the entire thing.

That is the one positive that I can see from this whole thing. Her full speech will now be read by many, many more people that it would have been when she made it at the function 4 months ago.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am glad that she saw the error of her previously racist ways. I am sorry that she lost her job, but I also don't believe that her job should exist in the first place, so I can't get particularly upset about it. Some Breitbart/Big Government people are friends of friends of mine, and I think they do some good, but they spin just as bad as the MSNBC tools they always decry.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Breitbart is a scumbag.

The NAACP calls out the Tea Party for having white nationalist groups as supporters, so Breitbart and Fox fire back by trying to ruin an innocent black woman's life. At least it only took a day to exonerate Sherrod.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Breitbart is a scumbag.

The NAACP calls out the Tea Party for having white nationalist groups as supporters, so Breitbart and Fox fire back by trying to ruin an innocent black woman's life. At least it only took a day to exonerate Sherrod.
    Now-innocent, yes. Unfortunately, a sin of the past came back to bite her, even though she turned over a new leaf.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"