User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

So this whole dilemma started with her making a misunderstanding and correcting it, and now her employer makes a misunderstanding and correcting it and it's any different? I understand in the second case someone lost their job, but the respective responsibilities held by the guilty party in both cases are relatively equal in consequence. Her fault, although long gone and not the point of her statement, she had all the information and acted racist per her own admittance. The fault of those who fired her was jumping to conclusions and grossly overreacting without getting all the facts. Actually, what the shortened clip implicated is still mostly true... except at that point she had already learned better so it would not be necessary to fire her.

Soo, I find the current state of this is kinda ironic. It just goes to show how little the media is concerned with accurate, fair portrayal of the total situation (both this ordeal and the coverage of her statement), and how much or how little the focus on something completely changes the perception of the viewers. Not to beat a dead horse, but it seems all the blame is on her employers now... in her full remarks she admitted to bigotry, even though it wasn't covered it still happened. Yet, that fact is completely glossed over and the intentions of her remarks are being compared to the actions of her employer.

Personally, I think the opposite of what is being portrayed is a more accurate portrayal. The intentions of her employer were positive and the initial action that started all of this was negative. I think she's just trying to milk the publicity out of it now that she has them apologizing (like we haven't seen that a million times from the NAACP). I would be seriously surprised if she did not take the job when all is said and done. Although if she didn't I could also see how this will give her plenty of visibility to make money elsewhere.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

No idea what her motivations are, so I prefer to wait and see.

It's a little more complicated, though, in terms of investing so much of your life in a job and government agency and having it all tossed out the window on what amounted to a capricious shafting, where your bosses don't listen to your explanation until they're nationally embarrassed.

I mean, there are lots of reasons to feel like not going back, even if your bosses apologize later; it was a huge breach of trust to start with, her explanation was summarily ignored without even being considered, and such devaluing by people you trusted and thought respected you can shake your world. I mean, as of Sunday, her old life still existed; 3-4 days isn't a lot to work through something like this. If she's still doing the talk shows in 2-3 months, then to me that's more the sign of an attention whore.

FH, also, this woman worked through her blame and fixed herself, all on her own.
    Her bosses are only correcting themselves because they got caught with their pants down by others.
    So no, I don't see it as quite the same at all.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Honestly, I think it dissuades people from sharing moments of growth in their life. Instead, we're forced to always pretend we're perfect and haven't learned anything, in order to avoid having some nutcase twisting our story to suit his own political purposes and then being punished for it. That's really a shame, but an event like this makes one think twice about being open about ANYTHING even for good cause, especially if it shows a prior weakness.

It's just too easy nowadays to get your words twisted, splashed all over the national media, and summarily punished... judged, juried, and executed by Internet, all in a few hours. So much for a 24 year career.
    Exactly. The process of moving on hinges at least admitting to oneself; that she did it in a professional context is highly refreshing.

Ms Sherrod's father was killed by a racist thug who was never caught. You could forgive her if she held a grudge. She didn't: she took her bitterness and turned it into something she can be rightly proud of. She deserves nothing but admiration.

MBTI
    ISTP

That's my point... I think it's exactly as they stated--they made the decision without all the facts, but they have to fall all over themselves apologizing because they're still at the mercy of media portrayal. Frankly, I don't give a damn what someone says in front of a bunch of cameras, whether it's an inspiring story of how someone prescribes themselves free of bigotry or expressing "deep regret" for failing to follow due diligence in a position that absolutely requires it, it's mostly just spin. When you compare just the actions, it was her bigotry in the very beginning and them firing her for her statement about it. Yes, that is both totally unnecessary and probably inappropriate, but simply because the statement is taken out of context does not mean what it originally refers to simply ceases to exist.

and in my brutally honest opinion, for that matter, i still see what could possible be a bit of racial bias in her response to this whole ordeal. The article says she feels no need for Obama to apologize. "Secretary Robert Gibbs... apologized to Sherrod for the entire administration." What about all the other [white] officials making apologies who were not responsible for the decision? Seems like Obama was distanced, yet she continues to focus on him in her statements. At the very least, she's still doggedly representing NAACP... clearly this is about leveraging the situation to increase visibility.

"I really regret what they did. But as I said before, he's my president," Sherrod said. "When you get it down to where the rubber meets the road, I think you need to understand a little more what life is like. I'd love to talk to him, though, or people in his administration ... to help them understand."

At this point, it really seems like they already understand what happened. What's left to understand? Oh, the NAACP agenda. What concerns me the most about this is how a straightforward mistake is being blown out of proportion by the power of projected guilt about racism. I know this has happened a lot by the hands of NAACP reps but I didn't know it was still so effective. Maybe if it wasn't for all the media attention she really would have and should have stayed fired, it seems like she's a lot more concerned about this agenda than her duties as an official. Now that I think about it, it makes a hell of a lot more sense for her true agenda to ride this rocket of publicity than to go back to her old job in the agriculture department.

MBTI
    NICE

What precisely is the NAACP's relationship with the Democrats? They seem very cosy. If they are acting as proxies for the Democrats then perhaps an apology from Obama is not so far-fetched.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    What precisely is the NAACP's relationship with the Democrats? They seem very cosy. If they are acting as proxies for the Democrats then perhaps an apology from Obama is not so far-fetched.
    The NAACP is an independent civil rights organization that was founded when it was the Democratic party that housed the vestiges of the confederacy and not the Republicans. I'm sure the worst they've done is donate to a campaign but they are more or less focused on civil rights issues.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    I don't understand why this matters. It's an issue between Sherrod and the people responsible for her appointment. The only reason anyone else has had to apologize is because the media wants blood, and when it comes to racially sensitive ordeals they always seem to get it.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by foolish heart View Post
    I don't understand why this matters. It's an issue between Sherrod and the people responsible for her appointment. The only reason anyone else has had to apologize is because the media wants blood, and when it comes to racially sensitive ordeals they always seem to get it.
    I'd like to know more, but can't help feeling your assessment is slightly naive.

That charge has come in the main from the NAACP, acting as a kind of proxy for the Democrats. Clearly it would limit the effectiveness of the tea-partiers if they had to spend all their energies fighting charges of racism.

So the attack on Mrs Sherrod was a kind of counter-blast from the right against the NAACP, putting it on the defensive on race and making it look frankly ridiculous.
    Source: BBC News - US officials stumble on the firing of Shirley Sherrod

But hands-up. I'm no expert.

Oberon

Sherrod was Borked.

For the younger ones out there who don't know, that's a reference to Federal judge Robert Bork, who was a candidate for a Supreme Court seat once upon a time. Y'all can probably Google up the story for yourselves.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

That BBC quote is complete conjecture. The NAACP called out parts of the tea party as racist because thats what the NAACP has ALWAYS done. The democrats had nothing to do with that. The right reacted by trying to create a "see? blacks are more racist than we are!" moment and it's biting them on the ass. The only thing the dems did wrong was play right into it and can her.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche