User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Do you think people in the past had more free time?

Reading Walden and Walking by HDT I kind of think they did have more time or spent it a lot differently than people do today, what do you think?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Yes, absolutely. Up here, all they could do during winter was to go see the traps and do some crafts. And eat whatever they stored in the autumn. And in other seasons, I bet there were similar restrictions.

EDIT: If we compare modern world with "the old days" the biggest difference concerning this question is that back then they could do the stuff and try to get enough to sustain themselves through the winter. When they had enough they would probably slow down as you can't have too much surplus or some of it will rot. But nowadays, how do you know you have enough? Money doesn't go bad. Even if you would like to slow down, you can't because if you leave the job, you might not get back. So we work and work, even if there is no need to.

Enneagram
    CFV

Without a doubt.

Everything and everyone used to be so relaxed and easygoing, but now people are planning everything to a T. People are forgetting how to take it easy and just chill.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Depends on which time.

If you want to go way, way, back, to foragers, or even horticultural or pastoral tribes, than the answer is absolutely yes. This has been well studied.

I'm not as sure about later periods of human life. It seems to me like some stretches of primitive civilization were very grueling.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Even if you would like to slow down, you can't because if you leave the job, you might not get back. So we work and work, even if there is no need to.
    This is the most concerning to me. Even if you, say, inherited a million bucks, many people couldnt do much with that other than spend it or put it in a rainy day fund. Taking time off of work just doesnt work as well in a lot of industry these days, even if you can "afford it", temporarily. With everything so much about "what have you done for me lately?", shameless resume building, and "networking", someone might not be able to depend on getting another good gig.

I can definitely think of people I know whose industries just have no middle ground. You are either "in" the loop and are working like a dog, or you basically are "out". You cant come and go, in and out, on limited hours.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I believe one reason that the Athenians were so successful compared to other civilizations at the time is because the people had significantly more free time.

(And the main reason why I'm saying this is because Magic stole my answer. )
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISFJ

^Yep, I mean philosophy is the mark of Pness.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    This is the most concerning to me. Even if you, say, inherited a million bucks, many people couldnt do much with that other than spend it or put it in a rainy day fund. Taking time off of work just doesnt work as well in a lot of industry these days, even if you can "afford it", temporarily. With everything so much about "what have you done for me lately?", shameless resume building, and "networking", someone might not be able to depend on getting another good gig.
    Yep, the system is evolving towards maximum efficiency, and I expect it to get to an inhuman level at some point. I often like to point out how dropping the work hours from sixteen to eight hasn't dropped the overall work hours since it didn't take long and they took the women out of the home and into the factory.

At the moment they are planning to raise the age of retirement here (since we live longer than before, it's only logical, huh?!) and there was this news story about some employees being pissed off about big bosses leaving for early retirement. I was like, "WTF, if they have earned enough to retire, let them, and some other people will replace them and get rich as well". I can't understand this stuff, it is like the employees were mad because they would get the chance to climb the ladder...

MBTI
    INTJ

Hunter Gatherers had significantly more free time.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

I dont know. I got a lot of free time.