User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Being a ditz is a bad thing, it implies there's nothing inside your head. Corruption implies people you would not want to associate with. "Getting away with it" is meaningless in this case because when these labels precede you, there's no getting away with it.

The only accent that I have never heard made fun of by an American is the Midwestern/Mountain state accent. Only foreigners make fun of it. Everything else is fair game.
    A 'ditz' means you're an idiot, but it doesn't matter because Daddy has money, i.e. you're in a hegemonic state. Getting away with it is the entire point - that's what having hegemonic status means.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    A 'ditz' means you're an idiot, but it doesn't matter because Daddy has money, i.e. you're in a hegemonic state. Getting away with it is the entire point - that's what having hegemonic status means.
    There are a lot of groups you seem to be forgetting -- the Cajuns, the Texans, the Minnesotans, Alabama and Mississippi both have a coast. It's difficult to tell what the fuck is going on with Florida, and everyone forgets Oregon, poor Oregon. Maine? Where's that? Hawaii is a coastal state, in fact it has all coast -- Alaska has our longest coastline. Yep, the great hegemony of Alaska all right, especially when most Americans forgot it had existed before Sarah Palin.

Salt Lake City, Denver, Las Vegas, Nashville, Phoenix, Minneapolis St. Paul...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Now you're just being obtuse. For one - Texas definitely does hold a hegemonic status in the country, at least since the days of LBJ and Sam Rayburn in Congress. Alabama and Mississippi have no safe harbors - and Mobile Bay doesn't count because of hurricanes. Similar situation with Florida, which is also too far removed from anything else (and yet still has cosmopolitan values in South Florida, because of constant movement between it and the Northeast.) Oregon also lacks safe harbors, Hawaii was a coaling station and lacks innate resources, and Alaska is nigh-inhabitable half of the year. Distance is also an issue with the last two.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Now you're just being obtuse. For one - Texas definitely does hold a hegemonic status in the country, at least since the days of LBJ and Sam Rayburn in Congress. Alabama and Mississippi have no safe harbors - and Mobile Bay doesn't count because of hurricanes. Similar situation with Florida, which is also too far removed from anything else (and yet still has cosmopolitan values in South Florida, because of constant movement between it and the Northeast.) Oregon also lacks safe harbors, Hawaii was a coaling station and lacks innate resources, and Alaska is nigh-inhabitable half of the year. Distance is also an issue with the last two.
    Texas definitely has hegemonic status, yes, and yet they're also stereotyped as being stupid bigots.

Florida is probably the most diverse place I've ever been to, and yes, I've been to NYC and LA. The irony is that to be cosmopolitan you must have non-cosmopolitans.

And you're forgetting the cities I mentioned.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Texas definitely has hegemonic status, yes, and yet they're also stereotyped as being stupid bigots.

Florida is probably the most diverse place I've ever been to, and yes, I've been to NYC and LA. The irony is that to be cosmopolitan you must have non-cosmopolitans.

And you're forgetting the cities I mentioned.
    Texans aren't idiots - they're wild, reckless cowboys according to the stereotype... you know, powerful in a negative way. Bush might have been an "idiot", but both Rove and Cheney were thought of as "evil geniuses".

What about those cities? They're all relatively small, compared to the coastal cities. Not particularly cosmopolitan either.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Texans aren't idiots - they're wild, reckless cowboys according to the stereotype... you know, powerful in a negative way. Bush might have been an "idiot", but both Rove and Cheney were thought of as "evil geniuses".

What about those cities? They're all relatively small, compared to the coastal cities. Not particularly cosmopolitan either.
    They're in the same ranks as Oklahoma and Arkansas in terms of perceived intelligence.

Saying that these cities are relatively small convinces me further of their power, not because it is great, like New York or Los Angeles, but because it is disproportionate to their size.

Pheonix is by no means small. It's the 5th largest city in the US.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

They're in the same ranks as Oklahoma and Arkansas in terms of perceived intelligence.

Saying that these cities are relatively small convinces me further of their power, not because it is great, like New York or Los Angeles, but because it is disproportionate to their size.
    BTW, the Twin Cities are far more like the Chicago scenario than the other cities mentioned.

Confirmation bias?

MBTI
    ENFJ

BTW, the Twin Cities are far more like the Chicago scenario than the other cities mentioned.

Confirmation bias?
    I mean, unless you want to consider the Mississippi and its larger tributaries a third coast (or a fourth coast, if you consider the great lakes the third).

Explain Vegas.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    America's Ruling Class and the Perils of Revolution

One may agree or disagree with the relative merits of the classes described, but I think the nomenclature is accurate at least.

Not hard to pick out which class I belong to, either.

-da mouse
    Who are the politicians accountable to? The voters? The corporate lobbyists? Each other?

If the politicians are accountable to the voters, then the problem lies with the voters. If they are accountable to corporations, then the problem lies with the corporations. If they are only accountable to each other, then the problem lies with the politicians themselves.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

I mean, unless you want to consider the Mississippi and its larger tributaries a third coast (or a fourth coast, if you consider the great lakes the third).

Explain Vegas.
    Gambling, prostitution, the automobile/airplane, and a huge freakin' housing bubble. That being said, the levers of power in this country are clearly not in Vegas.