User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Wait. What?
    Southern/plains lower class accent - ignorant, uneducated, bigoted, potentially violent

Northeastern lower class accent - aggressive, but "street-smart"

West coast accent - "cool"

Some examples.

MBTI
    INTJ

Wait. What?
    I think there is a formal name, but in short he's describing an anthropology theory that centers around trade and transport.

Historically speaking, dominant, empire-forging populations emerged from cities and regions that were best connected to the outer world via waterways. All major ancient civilizations were founded in heavily watered regions (between rivers, near seas and oceans).

---

He is suggesting that the primary reason that the coasts have dominated politics until recently is because the coastal regions have the most direct access to international commerce. Until the advent of the railroad, land-bound cities not on rivers were poor and powerless.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Southern/plains lower class accent - ignorant, uneducated, bigoted, potentially violent

Northeastern lower class accent - aggressive, but "street-smart"

West coast accent - "cool"

Some examples.
    The most "normal" accents are "interior" accents, like the southern-midwestern accent (Western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, parts of Missouri), or the accents of the Mountain states (mostly Colorado). This is the accent that everyone learns through watching too much TV and is generally considered "correct" by most Americans.

Have you ever been to the Plains states? They don't talk like Southerners.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

The most "normal" accents are "interior" accents, like the southern/midwestern accent (Western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, parts of Missouri), or the accents of the Mountain states (mostly Colorado). This is the accent that everyone learns through watching too much TV and is generally considered "correct" by most Americans.

Have you ever been to the Plains states? They don't talk like Southerners.
    Yup. Lived in Oklahoma for a while. They talk a lot more like Southerners than they do Northerners, at least in the sticks (even in the more "midwestern" northeastern part of the state) Same with the parts of Kansas and Nebraska I've been to.

The Midwestern accent was "right" because it was that of the "heartland". That is, not of the elite. Elites prefer setting themselves apart linguistically as well.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Yup. Lived in Oklahoma for a while. They talk a lot more like Southerners than they do Northerners, at least in the sticks (even in the more "midwestern" northeastern part of the state) Same with the parts of Kansas and Nebraska I've been to.

The Midwestern accent was "right" because it was that of the "heartland". That is, not of the elite. Elites prefer setting themselves apart linguistically as well.
    So, the elite are the lower classes? Wait, what?

The Midwestern accent has become correct because it's difficult to tell the origin of the broadcasters using it and because it has the most German influence of all the accents. If it was considered a "lower" accent, it's certainly been forced to prominence.

I think the stereotypes you force on the Southern accent are too colored by your experience.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Western: ditzy

Midwestern: hiveminded

East coast: corrupt

Northern: simple

Southern: lazy

You can pin unflattering stereotypes to all of them.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    I think there is a formal name, but in short he's describing an anthropology theory that centers around trade and transport.

Historically speaking, dominant, empire-forging populations emerged from cities and regions that were best connected to the outer world via waterways. All major ancient civilizations were founded in heavily watered regions (between rivers, near seas and oceans).

---

He is suggesting that the primary reason that the coasts have dominated politics until recently is because the coastal regions have the most direct access to international commerce. Until the advent of the railroad, land-bound cities not on rivers were poor and powerless.
    More than that - it's that because of the hegemonic status of the coasts, the cosmopolitan style of culture generally associated with societies that have high levels of trade became that of the "rulers", to be contrasted with the homogeneity-seeking culture of the less-diverse interior. As a result, you have this culture war which seems intractable.

MBTI
    ENFJ

More than that - it's that because of the hegemonic status of the coasts, the cosmopolitan style of culture generally associated with societies that have high levels of trade became that of the "rulers", to be contrasted with the homogeneity-seeking culture of the less-diverse interior. As a result, you have this culture war which seems intractable.
    I think you're talking New York + L. A. versus everywhere, not just the "interior".

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Western: ditzy

Midwestern: hiveminded

East coast: corrupt

Northern: simple

Southern: lazy

You can pin unflattering stereotypes to all of them.
    Being a ditz isn't a bad thing - ditzes get away with it. Corruption implies power.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Being a ditz isn't a bad thing - ditzes get away with it. Corruption implies power.
    Being a ditz is a bad thing, it implies there's nothing inside your head. Corruption implies people you would not want to associate with. "Getting away with it" is meaningless in this case because when these labels precede you, there's no getting away with it.

The only accent that I have never heard made fun of by an American is the Midwestern/Mountain state accent. Only foreigners make fun of it. Everything else is fair game.