User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ

Default America's Ruling Class

Below is a piece by Boston University Professor Emeritus of International Relations, Angelo Codevilla, on the true nature of our modern American government. Long, but definitely worth your time.

The American Spectator : America's Ruling Class -- And the Perils of Revolution

Several selections are below, but I recommend you read the entire piece, if you have the time.

Never has there been so little diversity within America's upper crust. Always, in America as elsewhere, some people have been wealthier and more powerful than others. But until our own time America's upper crust was a mixture of people who had gained prominence in a variety of ways, who drew their money and status from different sources and were not predictably of one mind on any given matter. The Boston Brahmins, the New York financiers, the land barons of California, Texas, and Florida, the industrialists of Pittsburgh, the Southern aristocracy, and the hardscrabble politicians who made it big in Chicago or Memphis had little contact with one another. Few had much contact with government, and "bureaucrat" was a dirty word for all. So was "social engineering." Nor had the schools and universities that formed yesterday's upper crust imposed a single orthodoxy about the origins of man, about American history, and about how America should be governed. All that has changed.

Today's ruling class, from Boston to San Diego, was formed by an educational system that exposed them to the same ideas and gave them remarkably uniform guidance, as well as tastes and habits. These amount to a social canon of judgments about good and evil, complete with secular sacred history, sins (against minorities and the environment), and saints. Using the right words and avoiding the wrong ones when referring to such matters -- speaking the "in" language -- serves as a badge of identity. Regardless of what business or profession they are in, their road up included government channels and government money because, as government has grown, its boundary with the rest of American life has become indistinct. Many began their careers in government and leveraged their way into the private sector. Some, e.g., Secretary of the Treasury Timothy Geithner, never held a non-government job. Hence whether formally in government, out of it, or halfway, America's ruling class speaks the language and has the tastes, habits, and tools of bureaucrats. It rules uneasily over the majority of Americans not oriented to government.

The two classes have less in common culturally, dislike each other more, and embody ways of life more different from one another than did the 19th century's Northerners and Southerners -- nearly all of whom, as Lincoln reminded them, "prayed to the same God." By contrast, while most Americans pray to the God "who created and doth sustain us," our ruling class prays to itself as "saviors of the planet" and improvers of humanity. Our classes' clash is over "whose country" America is, over what way of life will prevail, over who is to defer to whom about what. The gravity of such divisions points us, as it did Lincoln, to Mark's Gospel: "if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand."

Sniffles

The reign of Hudge and Gudge marches on.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

It works from a simple, obvious, and very true starting point about the inequality and strata of elitism that steer this country, and then from that starting point, goes walk-about through a forest of misconceptions and speculations that are all blatantly guided by the ideological axe that the article grinds.

And where are the citations? They didn't seem to be in text, I didn't even see a list of sources at the end. This was written by a professor emeritus?

It would take me many hours, probably over the span of many days, to properly critique this.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    The reign of Hudge and Gudge marches on.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It works from a simple, obvious, and very true starting point about the inequality and strata of elitism that steer this country, and the from that starting point, goes walk-about through a forest of misconceptions and specualtions that are all blatantly guided by the ideological ax that the article grinds.

It would take me many hours, probably over the span of many days, to properly critique this.
    Rather you than me...
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Are there two threads or something? A thread split?

Oberon

Yeah there are, and it's my fault.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Oh, I thought it was a thread split or arguing opposing sides or something...

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Yeah, but your thread's better.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Yeah, but your thread's better.
    This proves that Oberon>Me at writing OPs.

Oberon

I believe the sample size is just a bit too small to support any real conclusion, eggsy.