User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I don't like this.

We criticize cultures and religions for dictating what people can and cannot wear and then turn around and do likewise?

What happens when the husbands who refuse to let their wives out without a burqa now refuse to let their wives out of the house AT ALL?

What happens when a woman who is so used to wearing the burqa is afraid to go out of the house without it?

Now, punishing males for forcing them to wear it is a different matter, but that would be very difficult to enforce.

I would also venture a guess that this is more about being anti-Muslim than it is about being pro-Woman. What if they choose to ban the hijab next or the keffiyeh?
    All these appear highly relevant. Given the significance of the earlier issues in determining what rights truly oppressed women are likely to be able to exercise, and that it's difficult to be blind to this if you look closely at the real issues likely to affect them, the last point seems proven.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Hypocrisy is perhaps half of what makes us human. The other half is composed of everything that remains.
    Islam takes a pretty dim view of hypocrisy and the moral character of those who pratice it, I just thought I'd point out. It's far more explicit on this issue than Christianity. If this is aimed in any way at reducing social divisions and increasing Islamic integration with mainstream society, underlining Western hypocrisy in the process is going to be counter-productive because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    You can't have complete freedom in a functioning society. Laws by their very nature restrict the nature of what people can do.
    Try re-reading what I said for context instead of blithely assuming that there's something in what I've said that indicates I'm taking the principle to its dysfunctional logical conclusion. Unless you were trying to be Captain Obvious in order to appear smart that is - I'm feeling charitable today...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Ha! Wait till you see what's under some of those burqas!
    Perhaps all the French men just fear they might be missing something...? Now, it would be amusing if there was a counter-movement to replace them after a year or two once everyone's had a good look, and perhaps extend the principle to women of other ethnicities and faiths...?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

I don't understand why women and men have to do everything exactly the same or else they're not equal.

And no, I'm not kidding.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I was being facetious.
    I'm aware however it was a good comment to follow up on to state the point I put down. Just what I've thought when I read your post. It wasn't purely directed back at you.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I'm split.

Subjectively, I find full facial coverings insulting and suspicious and just not the way we do things in Western society and you live in western society.

Objectively, whether someone wears one or not has no direct effect on me and my life in the slightest. Live and let live.

Moralistically and Ethically, If people are being forced to wear them against their will, then this needs to be addressed. But it should not punish the people who do so out of free will. A banning is also forcing some people to do something against their will.

Tough call!

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I don't understand why women and men have to do everything exactly the same or else they're not equal.

And no, I'm not kidding.
    They don't have to. The point is they have the choice.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I love that the French say This is French. This is not French. In France, we live as French people. The French do not wear burqas. There's an end to it. It's not even a matter of right and wrong, but a matter of clear distinction between Me and Not Me.

Although on the subject of burqas, sometimes I think it would be a huge relief and I wouldn't mind it at all. Picking out outfits is a nuisance. Think of the time you'd save.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Try re-reading what I said for context instead of blithely assuming that there's something in what I've said that indicates I'm taking the principle to its dysfunctional logical conclusion. Unless you were trying to be Captain Obvious in order to appear smart that is - I'm feeling charitable today...
    Self-righteousness sometimes requires a bit of grounding.

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    They don't have to. The point is they have the choice.
    Unless they want to wear a burqa.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I couldn't care less if women where burqas or not.

If someone tried to make me wear one, I may care. And if someone told me what I could and could not wear, I'd probably care as well.

I say it's retarded to try and ban something like clothing. There are more important issues at stake than what women are wearing. Srsly.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Subjectively, I find full facial coverings wearing your jeans too low insulting and suspicious and just not the way we do things in Western society and you live in western society.
    Seriously, we need to ban the dudes with their arses hanging out it greatly offends my sensibilities.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations