User Tag List

First 2129303132 Last

Sniffles

And another latest piece in the puzzle:
    Iran promotes 'Islamic' haircuts - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Iran has laid down the law: mullets won't make the cut.

The Islamic regime, which strictly enforces head coverings for women, issued grooming guidelines for the guys this week.

Among the do's that are now don'ts? The '80's Prince-style pompadour preferred by many young Iranian men, the Steven Seagal-style ponytail and the "business in the front, party in the back" sentiment of the mullet -- also popular among the Persian populace.

I like how people feel offended by things they see and ban them. Words matter to me much more than things I see. They should ban things that encourage others to do harm to people. But everyone should have the right to be stupid if they keep to themselves.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelGadaafi View Post
    You raise in interesting point of discussion here, sexual frustration and rigid sex restrictions tie together into this problem. The solution and answer is simple: sex-restrictions have a direct if not a causative effect on sexual frustration. I can imagine that a lot of men in the ME chafe under the pressure of libido that is caused by a lack of availability of pre-marital sex, which any men in society would.

I am also guessing that this phenomenon is most relevant to the lower socio-economic classes, where the conditions would increase the effects ten-fold. Since not everyone has the possibility to marry or resort to shadow practices like prostitution and homosexuality.

When this phenomenon that you describe takes its form in the extremes, a phenomenon which includes misogynistic element coupled with sexual frustration, and sexual unavailability it can take it's expression in adverse forms of pedophilia and catamite like practices(not to all dissimilar to incidences of catholic priest pedophilia.)
    I just saw this and no, it's not wildly off-topic, but I think it's probably worthy of its own thread.

Learning to control one's libido is surely a necessary part of ego maturation.
    Does restricting sexual expression always result in sexual aberration?
    Is the relationship causal and in which direction?

You have provided several examples here. It gets a lot of publicity, but how prevalent is pedophilia amongst celibate clergy (compared with the normal population)? I've always suspected they must have something a bit warped about them in the first place. That is to say, I think someone with aberrant sexual desires is more likely to be drawn into a life that represents the opposite extreme - Freud's so-called reaction formation. Otherwise, why would they not simply resort to covert use of prostitutes or have secret affairs? (which of course, some do)

As far as other examples from extremist Christian groups, I remember reading about the prevalence of child abuse in the Amish community.

Perhaps someone like fidelia or Ivy will have more positive things to say about Christian celibacy?
    Where does one draw the line between healthy moderation and harmful deprivation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    It gets a lot of publicity, but how prevalent is pedophilia amongst celibate clergy (compared with the normal population)?
    It's not really that common, as Philip Jenkins has noted on numerous occasions:
    Philip Jenkins, an Episcopalian and Professor of History and Religious Studies at Penn State University, published the 1996 book Pedophiles and Priests: Anatomy of a Contemporary Crisis in which he claims that the Catholic Church is being unfairly singled out by a secular media which he claims fails to highlight similar sexual scandals in other religious groups, such as the Anglican Communion, various Protestant churches, and the Jewish and Islamic communities. He also claims that the Catholic Church may have a lower incidence of molesting priests than Churches that allow married clergy because statistically child molestation generally occurs within families but Latin-rite Catholic priests do not have families, and the Catholic Church only allows married priests in a few of its rites. He also claims that the term "pedophile priests" widely used in the media, implies a distinctly higher rate of child molesters within the Catholic priesthood when in reality the incidence is lower than most other segments of society".[14]

Media coverage of Catholic sex abuse cases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There is evidence to suggest there's greater number of pedophiles in public schools than the clergy.

MBTI
    NICE

I was going to ask that question myself. Then I realized that it pretty much answers itself. If you disagree, perhaps you can offer an alternative explanation? Are you perhaps suggesting that men in Muslim countries are just more hot-blooded than the average male?
    I had conceded that my experience was limited. Clearly your's is even more limited. What was objectionable was your sloppy assumption that sexually frustrated men pester every female that moves, even ones in full mufti. You worded this as as if, in fact, it were the norm.

Have you ever actually been to an Arab country?

But you're correct, many women in these countries are poorly treated.

Did your limited experience include having your balls ripped off, perchance?
    No. I went about in a burka.

I'm basing my understanding on the reports of women, such as this British Muslim (cited earlier):

That was when she was wearing her veil. Western women report even more predatory and unwelcome attention from the opposite sex. There are few places that I wouldn't travel unaccompanied. Saudi Arabia is one of them (assuming they'd even let me in - women aren't allowed to drive and are supposed to be supervised at all times). For Jordan, the foreign office advises "women, in particular, should be careful to avoid situations where they might become victims of sexual assault." Or do you think that's just good old Islamophobia at work?
    Maybe you should go to southern Italy, for a real taste of arse-pinching machismo?

As already mentioned, I think your conclusions are probably right but the rhetoric gets a bit boring.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    I had conceded that my experience was limited. Clearly your's is even more limited.
    Lose the dick and we'll talk.
    What was objectionable was your sloppy assumption that sexually frustrated men pester every female that moves, even ones in full mufti. You worded this as as if, in fact, it were the norm.
    I made no such assumption or claim. Don't exaggerate - there's little point when what I actually said is clearly visible to anyone reading the thread.
    Have you ever actually been to an Arab country?
    Are you implying that they are all the same?
    But you're correct, many women in these countries are poorly treated.
    I didn't say that either. Just who is making assumptions, trumpets?

Maybe you should go to southern Italy, for a real taste of arse-pinching machismo?
    Been there. It was fun.
    As already mentioned, I think your conclusions are probably right but the rhetoric gets a bit boring.
    Whereas your dick-swinging never gets old.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Or Japan "chikan"...or India--"Eve baiting".

Some attitudes and behaviors exist no matter how women are clothed. A woman's body is not her own.

MBTI
    NICE

Are you implying that they are all the same??
    Straight up. Have you ever been to an Arab country? The question was asked to establish whether you had any first hand experience, or whether, as I suspect you just read shit on the net that confirms your stilted worldview.

I didn't say that either. Just who is making assumptions, trumpets?
    I'll assume you meant everything is hunky-dory, then. Or are you just being fucky.

Whereas your dick-swinging never gets old.
    I'll paste a little picy of you on the swinging end of it as a homage to Man Ray's Object to Be Destroyed.

Bye.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Straight up. Have you ever been to an Arab country? The question was asked to establish whether you had any first hand experience.
    Yes. Does that mean I'm an authority on the Middle East?
    No. Does that disqualify me from starting threads/having opinions on French and/or Middle Eastern politics?

That was weak. Even for an Internet Troll, like yourself.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I just saw this and no, it's not wildly off-topic, but I think it's probably worthy of its own thread.

Learning to control one's libido is surely a necessary part of ego maturation.
    Does restricting sexual expression always result in sexual aberration?
    Is the relationship causal and in which direction?

You have provided several examples here. It gets a lot of publicity, but how prevalent is pedophilia amongst celibate clergy (compared with the normal population)? I've always suspected they must have something a bit warped about them in the first place. That is to say, I think someone with aberrant sexual desires is more likely to be drawn into a life that represents the opposite extreme - Freud's so-called reaction formation. Otherwise, why would they not simply resort to covert use of prostitutes or have secret affairs? (which of course, some do)

As far as other examples from extremist Christian groups, I remember reading about the prevalence of child abuse in the Amish community.

Perhaps someone like fidelia or Ivy will have more positive things to say about Christian celibacy?
    Where does one draw the line between healthy moderation and harmful deprivation?
    While I do believe in waiting till marriage before having sex, I am strongly against enforced celibacy in the clergy. I think that it often leads to inappropriate sexual expression. Even though the apostle Paul writes that it would be better to remain single as he was (because people's focus then can be on the work they are doing, rather than pleasing their wife and attending to a family's needs), he also says that it is much better to marry than to burn! Scriptures also address that for many widows it would be better for them to remarry and have obligations to attend to than remain single in some cases.

I read a book awhile ago written by a Catholic priest from Quebec who had been very influentila in the mid 1800s. His experience at that time was that there was terrible promiscuity among both priests and nuns and great abuses within the church. He was very devout and had been deeply distressed about it throughout his whole career. When he was older, he left the Catholic church reluctantly over political issues, but maintained in his book that a celibate clergy should only be for the very few that want to remain celibate and can without sinning and disgracing the name of God and the church.