One sx/sp

What is this supposed to accomplish?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Is it right to force people to embrace freedom?
    Damn right, how else are they going to appreciate the moral superiority of a culture based on the worship of the freedom principle, rather than their outmoded medieval deity?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Possibly. After all it is freedom. You may be kept in a dungeon for years like your mother and hers befor her...when someone opens the door you may resist leaving, the light may seem blinding, you may be afraid of what will happen.
    I don't think anyone should stay in the dungeon.

Of course if you don't like it outside you can go home and re-create the dungeon.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Possibly. After all it is freedom. You may be kept in a dungeon for years like your mother and hers befor her...when someone opens the door you may resist leaving, the light may seem blinding, you may be afraid of what will happen.
    I don't think anyone should stay in the dungeon.

Of course if you don't like it outside you can go home and re-create the dungeon.
    I wonder if perhaps you may be looking at the issue from a rather limited perspective. After all, one might see the advantage of the veil from a practical standpoint, rather than elevate the veil into a human rights or gender equality issue. It would not be entirely ludicrous to suggest that wearers of the burqa suffer fewer cataracts, being "free-er" from the sun's deadly UV rays, for example.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    What is this supposed to accomplish?
    There have been similar moves in other European countries. Sometimes the justification given is security (obscuring the face impedes identification). In this case, the French are explicit that they see it as oppressive to women and "un-French".

I don't know. In principle, I support it. In practice, it disturbs me... feels like the thin end of a wedge...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

No. This law, like many secular opinions of religion, dismisses entirely the concept that a person can arrive at religious belief through personal contemplation without succumbing to malicious indoctrination. This is like passing a law that women MUST work outside the home because anyone who chooses to be a stay-at-home mom must be under her husband's thumb.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I support it.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTx

Interesting....

I do think that a governing body has a right to take a stand and choose a lesser of two evils which promotes its cultural values, but that's a thing that needs to be taken upon carefully.

For example there is a group in canada that refuses on religious grounds to have their pictures taken ('thou shalt not take a graven image', or somesuch), while at the same time it is legally required to have your photo taken for a driver license. It was ruled that these people still needed to have their photos taken as it was a matter of public security to have photo id, which outweighed the freedom of expression this group was attempting to exert. It leaves the group in a tough spot as they need veichles to sustain their rural lifestyle, but limits abuse of the system.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

In "Western" society, it is evident all are free, but some are more free than others. One is free to be "free" in accordance with majority sentiment; but not to impose restrictions on oneself or allow them to be imposed by others in accordance with one's personal beliefs, where these conflict with the sentiment of the majority, and the majoritarian views on what constitutes "freedom". "Freedom" thus equates to "social conformity" to a society that holds dear to the principle of freedom as an ideal to be aspired to, but has forgotten how to put it into practice.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    No. This law, like many secular opinions of religion, dismisses entirely the concept that a person can arrive at religious belief through personal contemplation without succumbing to malicious indoctrination.
    Then you have to accept that there is a legitimate reason for sexual inequality. How can a secular society condone that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.