We should make our own free country.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Maybe you should read the whole thread and then you wouldn't have to ask stupid questions?

This is less about feminism and more about cultural assimilation. And people will be free to wear sexy face-coverings to their heart's content in private - just not in public.
    Same shit. Different names.

We all make concessions to fit into the society that we chose to live in. It's part of the Social Contract. At the point that expressing my individuality potentially impinges upon someone else's freedom and comfort, I am compelled to give up a little bit of my freedom of expression.
    Uh, fuck that. If we had to go around pleasing everyone nothing would get done. Basically, you just said: a) fuck the minority, b) your freedom is only free so long as mine is free-er. c) everyone gets to choose where they live.

Lolwhat.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTP

He is very correct. Most people in the world can't really choose where to live. Migration is kind of a privilege.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    He is very correct. Most people in the world can't really choose where to live. Migration is kind of a privilege.
    Yep, the majority. Ironic, yuh?
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Ragashree, you're being really tedious. We were talking about France, not me. France has very definite aesthetics that they are proud of, one being that their women are chic. Personally I do not give a damn. It was not about me.
    Your failure to respond in a meaningful way to my last post speaks volumes. Speak about what you like, but don't try to wriggle out of having to face up to the consequences of your own expressed beliefs by claiming that in fact, the correct topic is something else. You've expressed admiration for a form of nationalistic intolerance and forced assimilation which results in the bullying of minorities and raises questions about civil liberties, and resorted to the flimsiest of superficial premises in order to justify this, which you still appear to be falling back on.

You were not obliged to share your admiration, since you did, expect your reasoning to be challenged. It's called "a debate".

Originally Posted by Tiltyred
    Even if they're wrong, I love how fiercely they defend their national identity.
    resists....impulse....to....Godwin.....thread
    You don't know what I'm going through here...

*struggles*

Tall blond men in uniform and jackboots are one hell of an aesthetic combination, don'cha think? I support the right of any country to take pride in maintaining that ideal standard of appearance and do whatever is necessary to ensure...

*sorry, it was too much *

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    But since I cannot mourn the burqa, I'll leave the thread to those who can.
    Oh, that's a tasty little implication. Who was "mourning the burqua again"? :rolli: Please point to where this was said or implied anywhere in the thread? This appears to be yet more disinguenuousness because you lack a rational argument.

In fairness, those will be covered by the legislation too. It's just that the burqa is drawing all the fire.

I think defiance will be the response, rather than hiding. A number of Muslim sponsors have already offered to pay any fines. I just worry about escalation.
    If the French muslims feel targeted by this, as seems likely, it wouldn't surprise me if more start wearing it who wouldn't have otherwise, just to make a civil-disobedience point. The issue currently afects less than one percent of the total number of Muslim women in France; it would be very interesting to see if women wearing some form of full covering becomes a more frequent occurence now because of this. I suppose it will depend how much they feel targetted overall...

There is that. I mean, if your views are completely at odds with a strictly secular society, perhaps you should reconsider whether staying there is compatible with your ideals. I know, for example, that I would refuse to work in, let alone settle in, the likes of Saudi Arabia, for ethical reasons. Or even USA, for that matter.
    The last bit intrigues me...

Actually, Catholic paraphernalia and Sikh turbans are banned from French schools too.

Viva la France!
    At least they're consistent in their crusade for the holy cause of secularism, I suppose we should give them that... :rolli:
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Well while we're at it, lets ban nuns from wearing habits.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    Well we're at let, lets ban nuns from wearing habits.
    Miniskirts for all!

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'd just like to ask people

What percentage of Muslim women, do you believe, are wearing the burqa (full covering not hijab) covering out of choice?

For me the issue is not regarding how i percieve people to look, or how what someone may wear would offend me or others around me.
    For me it is to do with opression of women within a religious pretence, i see the burqa as symbolic of this.
    If a woman is forced to wear a burqa or even groomed to do so it would make utter sense that she would be reluctant to remove it because a new law has passed. Don't forget many Muslim women have already been through various laws being passed that required them to take them off and not wear them. Then it has gone back to forced wearing again...esp Islamic countries that have had communist take overs.
    There is a lot worse an oppressive dictatorship can do than the French government. Some places women get arrested and or beaten (and worse) for not wearing the burqa correctly.
    This is why i don't imagine you will get the two thousand women running out of their French house's and burning their burqa's, they are afraid.
    But what is the solution?
    Where do we start?
    and how?
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I'What percentage of Muslim women, do you believe, are wearing the burqa (full covering not hijab) covering out of choice?
    I for one know one personally, so that's a start.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    If the French muslims feel targeted by this, as seems likely, it wouldn't surprise me if more start wearing it who wouldn't have otherwise, just to make a civil-disobedience point. The issue currently afects less than one percent of the total number of Muslim women in France; it would be very interesting to see if women wearing some form of full covering becomes a more frequent occurence now because of this. I suppose it will depend how much they feel targetted overall...
    I wouldn't be surprised by this either. Though they are Muslim, they are also French, you know.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge