User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Am I the only one that can see the irony here?
    Maybe you should read the whole thread and then you wouldn't have to ask stupid questions?

This is less about feminism and more about cultural assimilation. And people will be free to wear sexy face-coverings to their heart's content in private - just not in public.

We all make concessions to fit into the society that we chose to live in. It's part of the Social Contract. At the point that expressing my individuality potentially impinges upon someone else's freedom and comfort, I am compelled to give up a little bit of my freedom of expression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

I remember going on holiday to Turkey a couple of years ago (a Muslim country, for those who don't know), and if we were to visit public places, the women were instructed to "cover up", as it apparently offended the locals. Because, you know, their religion frowns upon women who reveal flesh. That's fair enough. It's their country, their values. When I went to the town to go shopping, I wore jeans and a long-sleeved shirt, despite the fact it was a hot day. Because that's what you do when you go to another country; you respect their cultural values.

So in a country that prohibits the wearing of a burqa, I don't see why they shouldn't conform accordingly. If a host wants you to leave your shoes at the door, you're obligated by social customs to do so, regardless of whether you like wearing your shoes in the house or not. It isn't just a case of discrimination, as wearing "hoodies" is banned for the similar reason of hiding your identity. Plus, burqas, to be frank (lulz) are quite intimidating to some non-muslims. When you move to a country, I believe you should make an effort to intergrate.

Edit: Irrelevant to the topic, but: What an unfortunate coincidence it is for the "Muslim countries" having hot, arid climates. The poor women and their dark coloured burqas! They must really suffer during the warmer months.
    Um, yeah.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Lots of angles and different perspectives in this thread. I like it.
    Politics.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Maybe you should read the whole thread and then you wouldn't have to ask stupid questions?
    Maybe you should consider the validity of their question instead of straight out insulting them?

This is less about feminism and more about cultural assimilation. And people will be free to wear sexy face-coverings to their heart's content in private - just not in public.
    Cultural assimilation is bollocks.

People should not be forced to do anything that by its nature isn't inherently harming anyone. That's like suggesting to a catholic that they're not allowed to wear a crucifix in public. Not every women wears these because they are forced to, but because they consider. The image of a woman in a veil is something that is ignorantly viewed as "opressive", and the irony of banning it is hilarious.

We all make concessions to fit into the society that we chose to live in. It's part of the Social Contract. At the point that expressing my individuality potentially impinges upon someone else's freedom and comfort, I am compelled to give up a little bit of my freedom of expression.
    Only a person of immense ignorance would find discomfort in this, and it in no way infringes on a person's freedom if they do it by choice. Its simply an image with a stigma. While we're at it, why don't we ban foreign men from wearing turban? Hey, gotta be equal to the sexes, right?

If I didn't want women walking topless on the beach because it "inpinges on my comfort", should they then be forced to put clothes on? No.

The law for fining men who forces a woman to do this is fine. That's one person forcing another to do something against their will. Fining a woman for choosing to do this is not nothing but hypocrisy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^Thanks for your considered opinion.

Actually, Catholic paraphernalia and Sikh turbans are banned from French schools too.

Viva la France!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post

Only a person of immense ignorance would find discomfort in this,
    Insecurity is a bit removed from ignorance, but you otherwise make very good points.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

^Actually, Catholic paraphernalia and Sikh turbans are banned from French schools too.
    You're actually telling me I couldn't go to a school as a teacher wearing a cross of significant personal value that I've worn around my neck almost my entire life? What a load of oppressive bullshit. I know which country I'm never moving to.

Turbans are banned from schools? Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Insecurity is a bit removed from ignorance, but you otherwise make very good points.
    I've found from personal experience that the latter often has a tendency to lead to the former.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    INTP

Don't make the mistake of grasping at straws trying to tie the former to the latter though... I would say that is a significant mistake many make when discussing political issues, but then again, perhaps I'm being far too optimistic.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    You're making the mistake of trying to see the issue from somebody else's perspective. This is not something a responsible constituent nor a fit organism would do. Act only in your best interests and embrace the tyranny of the majority. In the end, one would hope that France could only strengthen national unity by pursuing this course of action.
    Harharhar.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    You're actually telling me I couldn't go to a school as a teacher wearing a cross of significant personal value that I've worn around my neck almost my entire life? What a load of oppressive bullshit. I know which country I'm never moving to.
    This is actually starting to make a lot of sense...