User Tag List

First 123 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    Afghanistan always has been, and always will be a bunch of tribes duking it out.

We should have gone in and gotten OBL and then left instead of dicking around for ten years.

Or I guess we could just pour more money and men into it. That worked SO well for the Soviets... and the British... and the Mongols... and the Romans... and the Greeks... etc.
    Hey! The Mongols got their money's worth!

Yeah, everyone else fucked up, though.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Did the Mongols actually hold it or did they just kill every living thing on their way to Europe though?
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Did the Mongols actually hold it or did they just kill every living thing on their way to Europe though?
    Clearly they didn't kill everything there. Not only that, but Mongol powers head it longer than they held most places, which is why Afghanistan would eventually be one of the areas built up into the Mongol successor, the Timurid empire.

It's sort of like how the French can honestly claim they really held and influenced Vietnam. Good for them, everyone else sucked at it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Clearly they didn't kill everything there. Not only that, but Mongol powers head it longer than they held most places, which is why Afghanistan would eventually be one of the areas built up into the Mongol successor, the Timurid empire.

It's sort of like how the French can honestly claim they really held and influenced Vietnam. Good for them, everyone else sucked at it.
    Cool, good on the Mongols then. Not really, I don't condone imperial expansion even for east-Asian warlords.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Cool, good on the Mongols then. Not really, I don't condone imperial expansion even for east-Asian warlords.
    I was just being a stickler.

I don't really morally agree with it, but I can be very impressed with immoral things.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Yeah same here.

MBTI
    INTP

We should have gone in and gotten OBL and then left instead of dicking around for ten years.
    Al Qaeda attacked us, but it was the Taliban that gave them sanctuary, both before and, most importantly, after the fact; defeating the Taliban has always been at least equally as important (and I would argue more so) as catching OBL or neutralizing Al Qaeda.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Al Qaeda attacked us, but it was the Taliban that gave them sanctuary, both before and, most importantly, after the fact; defeating the Taliban has always been at least equally as important (and I would argue more so) as catching OBL or neutralizing Al Qaeda.
    Can't agree there. The fact that we conquered Iraq before catching bin Laden boggles my mind.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Why though? The Taliban poses no serious threat to us. 9/11 was the equivalent of a cheap shot when you aren't looking. A better way of dealing them would be to be smarter with defense beat them at the propaganda war.

Our actual response was more like beating the guy who sucker punched you to within an inch of their life with a spiked bat.

Lasting_Pain

We can't leave Afghanistan, whose going to grow the poppy plants and protect the lithium?