User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thread: Do you smoke?

Wow there's still people who dont have Victor on ignore.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I don't smoke.
    On the other hand, I used to be a teenage girl. I didn't smoke then, either.
    Cigarette smoke smells nasty and cigarettes are a fire hazard. I think that the tobacco companies have something to do with the fire hazard part.
    I am quite allergic to the smell of cigarette smoke. I don't care if people smoke but I'd rather they didn't do it around me and my allergies!
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

I personally think there's two sides to this, I dont mind people smoking if they arent rude and inconsiderate about it, its their choice and there's a certain refinement about some cigar and pipe smoking.

Although a lot of people I know who do smoke for the association with refinement, like after dinner or in the company of good friends, arent addicts and probably spend less money than those who are, even though they buy what appears to be initially more expensive tabacco or cigars and paraphrenalia.

Perhaps its the difference between using/abusing or addiction/habitual use which strikes me as making a difference, its one indicator of self-control, maybe, I say maybe because I also know a lot of, mainly older, people who have real major smoking habits and when they arent smoking they're making roll ups, they arent paragons of virtue but they are more self controlled than a lot of kids (and even adults) nowadays. For them it fufils a pretty real need for some kind of simple pleasure, they can go without a lot of things and probably have done in their lives.

It can be really smelly but I tend to like the smell of some pipe smoke and some cigar smoke, in the same way that I like the aroma of some seriously strong brews of filter coffee.

Consideration I think is important, lots of the bans of smoking didnt trouble me, at the time I wanted my parents to give up and they each where smoking way too much but it was mainly about being able to go out and come home without a sore throat from inhaling second hand smoke. I can understand how bar staff, waiters and waitresses, musicians and others didnt want to endure that, even if they where smokers themselves, and there is a difference between enjoying a smoke if you're a smoker and inhaling lungs full of smoke all the time throughout your working day or shift.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    C'mon, you have been outstanding in your ad hominem attacks on me.
    Victor, if I were to respectfully disagree with you, would that be an ad hominem attack?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Victor, if I were to respectfully disagree with you, would that be an ad hominem attack?
    My guess would be yes.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I don't think he's got the separate meanings of "disagreement", "ad homineum" and "insult" clearly distinguished in his own mind yet, or maybe just doesn't want to. If he DID want to become aware of the difference, he would probably have done so by now, people must have pointed it out to him enough times! :rolli:

Wouldn't surprise me if Victor smokes actually...
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

then is he a teenage girl, a petty criminal or an alcoholic?

or an antisocial leader of an outlaw biker gang that rides across the country spreading mayhem and destruction!

or I forgot that the other option is mentally ill
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

We have passed laws to ban smoking inside public spaces and now outside public spaces.

Yes, we can't smoke now at outdoor cafes.

And it's interesting that it will not be policed by the Police but by ordinary citizens. We all seem to have agreed that smoking is no good for you.

The only people who smoke now are teenage girls, the mentally ill, alcoholics, the drug addicted, and interestingly, petty criminals.

Are you a teenage girl, mentally ill, alcoholic, drug addicted or a petty criminal and do you smoke?
    It's hard not to interpret something literally that appears to be presented literally. And provocatively too.

Take out the words in the middle so you are left with: "The only people who smoke now are ... petty criminals." and you are presented with the actual message. If you smoke almost anywhere you indeed are a criminal, to the letter of the law. Thus smoker = petty criminal. But should the act of smoking put you in this category?

The other "categories" (teenage girl, mentally ill, etc) are smokescreen stereotypes, meant to make you challenge your other assumptions etc etc.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

The fact is that very few people who don't fit these categories do smoke here.

And there is no need to make a victim of myself, I am victimised by relentless ad hominem attacks.

The only question is why are there so many ad hominem attacks, particularly as they are against the rules.

And it is odd on an MBTI site devoted to mutual understanding that ad hominem attacks are normal.

It's a very interesting question. Why?
    Do you know what troll means?

I dont think its a hominem attack, what you said is pretty outrageous, rude, & stereotypical.

Here are a couple definitions of troll/trolling (internet slang):

-One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

-A troll, is a person who has the psychological need to feel good by making others feel bad. They play head games to try to upset the status quo of an online forum or other internet group, with a need to feel in control of a whole group of people, to disrupt, and to upset them.

-Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet, generally on message boards. When done in a moderated internet community, this can result in banning.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Are you a teenage girl, mentally ill, alcoholic, drug addicted or a petty criminal and do you smoke?

No Sir..

I am employed ,a student, an ex husband, a step father, a grown man, emotionally wounded but mentally stable, an almost non drinker and mostly law abiding citizen.

yes I smoke Cigarettes and Weed(Like I said "mostly" law abiding) I have quit both before and could again if I chose.

Why do you judge me Victor, without even knowing who I am?