Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We have passed laws to ban smoking inside public spaces and now outside public spaces.

Yes, we can't smoke now at outdoor cafes.

And it's interesting that it will not be policed by the Police but by ordinary citizens. We all seem to have agreed that smoking is no good for you.

The only people who smoke now are teenage girls, the mentally ill, alcoholics, the drug addicted, and interestingly, petty criminals.

Are you a teenage girl, mentally ill, alcoholic, drug addicted or a petty criminal and do you smoke?
    Yes, yes, yes, yes and YES!
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Ginkgo

Are you frightened, Vic?

Ginkgo

C'mon, you have been outstanding in your ad hominem attacks on me.

I've been thinking of awarding prizes.
    Vic, please stop using the phrase "ad hominem" attack. This isn't a formal argument, or really structured argument at all. So you can't just declare "ad hominem" so non nonchalantly. I think what you mean to say is ,"You're hurting my feelings" in this context. You can't wreck a car that's not existent.

MBTI
    ISTP

I would say the internet is more addicting than smoking lol
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.

Smile

The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.
    And everyday thinking is intuitive while science is largely counter-intuitive.

For instance, we know intuitively that the Sun goes round the Earth, but we know counter-intuitively that the Earth goes round the Sun.

And this is true for most of science - science is counter-intuitive.

So the interesting question is - if everyday thinking is intuitive, how did we learn to think counter-intuitively?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Smoking induces receptors in the brain efficiently. Therefore it is difficult to give it up.
    There is a motive. A counter motive: health, other people's judgement.
    Which motive is the stronger one depends on a variety of factors. It is a known fact smoking facilitates the thinking process.

To say that smoking is bad, period, and that you shouldn't smoke, period, does not generate understanding.

It may be smoking irritates or harms others. So does car and industrial pollution, noise and traffic. Among other things.
    +1000000
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Ginkgo

And everyday thinking is intuitive while science is largely counter-intuitive.

For instance, we know intuitively that the Sun goes round the Earth, but we know counter-intuitively that the Earth goes round the Sun.

And this is true for most of science - science is counter-intuitive.

So the interesting question is - if everyday thinking is intuitive, how did we learn to think counter-intuitively?
    They're a bit of the same process.

When we make a hypothesis, we are thinking intuitively and our mental phalanges juggle potential possibilities.

But then we test our hypothesis and determine whether it can be repeatedly tested and be made into a theory. This is science.

The only problem arises when we linger in the hypothesis when it has already been falsified.

Not all statements can be falsified, however, so we still hypothesize on a daily basis about the unknown.

Even further, we often act on those hypothesis.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Are you a teenage girl, mentally ill, alcoholic, drug addicted or a petty criminal and do you smoke?

I guess technically I am mentally ill, although my GAD is currently under control.

But I don't smoke.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I like having a lot of energy and feeling alive.
    Whenever I smoke cigs or cigars it mellows me out too much and I feel like I lose my sting, and let me tell you..for an ENFP, it's a terrible feeling.

I don't like to smoke because of that.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I like having a lot of energy and feeling alive.
    Whenever I smoke cigs or cigars it mellows me out too much and I feel like I lose my sting, and let me tell you..for an ENFP, it's a terrible feeling.

I don't like to smoke because of that.
    I never thought of that before! It kind of makes some sense now that I think about it.