User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

The fact the judge said it in now way lessens the responsibility of the Daily Express. Note that they were not quoting the judge's words to criticise him for stereotyping gay people, but rather repeating them uncritically in order to ridicule the ruling.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Ibid., looks like someone didn't read it!
    Busted. I never read the Daily Mail. I get my tabloid fix from site like these.
    I hope I don't have to explain this further...
    That proves he's not out of touch in what way?

?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    The fact the judge said it in now way lessens the responsibility of the Daily Express. Note that they were not quoting the judge's words to criticise him for stereotyping gay people, but rather repeating them uncritically in order to ridicule the ruling.
    Quite; but I think the decontextualisation is more important than the lack of criticism. He admitted that it was a trivial stereotype in order to illustrate a general principle with concrete examples. It related to how that principle already operated within existing UK society in the context of the ruling of the supreme court to overturn the earlier decison by the court of appeals, not as it should be applied to new immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Busted. I never read the Daily Mail. I get my tabloid fix from site like these.
    I was referring to the statements made in the thread! Stop tabloiding what I say out of context, or you'll end up no better than them

That proves he's not out of touch in what way?

?
    He stated in advance that it was trivial and stereotypical, so must be given some "in touch" points for being aware of the fact. Otherwise I don't really care, it's the principle of misrepresentation that's important. The article was trying to imply that gay asylum seekers were being allowed in in order to partake of stereotypical British gay lifestyle, which has nothing to do with the ruling or the reason for the judge making this statement at all.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I was referring to the statements made in the thread! Stop tabloiding what I say out of context, or you'll end up no better than them
    It's a "shame" you didn't read the comments made on the Daily Express site.

I would say "shocking" but they are pretty much what I would expect.

SO NOW WE HAVE TO LET GAYS AND LESBIANS,,,,
    08.07.10, 3:46pm

...into Britain!!! What about AIDS and all the other deseases that are associated with gays in Africa? can our Health Service accomodate this new influx?

• Posted by: Disgruntled • Report Comment
    Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Homepage for Disgruntled | Your community, your blogs, your opinions
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    It's a "shame" you didn't read the comments made on the Daily Express site.

I would say "shocking" but they are pretty much what I would expect.
    I WOULD, but I already kind of know what they'd be in advance, so it's probably not worth the destruction of my brain cells. Exposing oneself to too much of that kind of material is like some kind of soul-rotting disease, I prefer to steer well clear!
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Wait.

Britain grants asylum to gay people. People from other countries may want asylum and may not necessarily be gay. does that mean they need to create a litmus test to prove that they're gay?

Not that I want gays to be executed in their native land, but again, this seems like a difficult thing to enforce.
    Like all asylum laws, the person has to prove they are at threat from persecution at home. An Iranian cannot jsut arrive and say "I am a communist and the Ayatollah's will have me killed", rather they have to prove the threat to them personally. The same principle will apply here.

Of course, I am against those restrictions, but that's another issue.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

But you didn't answer the question, dammit! :P

He stated in advance that it was trivial and stereotypical, so must be given some "in touch" points for being aware of the fact. Otherwise I don't really care, it's the principle of misrepresentation that's important. The article was trying to imply that gay asylum seekers were being allowed in in order to partake of stereotypical British gay lifestyle, which has nothing to do with the ruling or the reason for the judge making this statement at all.
    He might have been in touch ten years ago...
    He invites trivialization with his foolish remarks. People in authority / the public eye should expect to be quoted out of context, and should take a little more care, or else how does one differentiate between them and the bigots they are appointed to overrule?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I WOULD, but I already kind of know what they'd be in advance, so it's probably not worth the destruction of my brain cells. Exposing oneself to too much of that kind of material is like some kind of soul-rotting disease, I prefer to steer well clear!
    true. but sometimes I permit myself a peek. there's some potential comedy gold there (Russel Brand tends to read out letters pages and blog posts in his stand up and he's not doing too bad! )

I like these too (who knew there was world war eleven?):

BRUSSELS FINES US £150M FOR FAILING TO FLY THE EU FLAG AT FUNDED PROJECTS

• Posted by: Alf_Garnett • Report Comment

Since most of europe wouldn't exist were it not for Britain in WW11 THEY should be flying the Union Jack.

The only bthing their blue monstrosity is fit for - is burning.

• Posted by: New__Dragons_ • Report Comment
    ^^^Presumably he flies the old Soviet flag from his window too?

Wars in Kosova cooked up and Serbia to defeat the nationalists like Milosovic so that they can be "europeanised" into the federal superstate.
    The Entire anti european government of Poland nose dived into the ground and replaced by ?
    ...a totally pro- european government...

I suppose that you think that Hitler did a good job finding work for all those poor germans in the 1930's ?

The real evil from europe has yet to come.

• Posted by: JonO • Report Comment

MBTI
    NICE

Well done tcda. You've resorted to posting comments by readers of the Express, presumably to illustrate a point?

Well done for capturing the zeitgeist.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Well done tcda. You've resorted to posting comments by readers of the Express, presumably to illustrate a point?

Well done for capturing the zeitgeist.
    We obviously have different senses of humour. I thought those two comments were sublime.