User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I was thinking more along the lines of the "gay identity politics" thing; I thought about changing it to "gay asylum seekers" immediately after posting it, but then decided no one would be over-sensitive enough to make a big deal out of it. Rest assured I think homosexuality is a very good reason for asylum from many countries, and consider the verdict an improvement on overall asylum policy.

MBTI
    NICE

Welcome to the Old Merry.

Bet you'll miss home, guys?
    Last edited by proteanmix; 07-08-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: removed pic

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Wait...this is the picture association thread right?

MBTI
    NICE

A novel new executive toy.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I like you both as posters but this is quite tasteless. Can we not use the execution of gay men as comedic material? a respectful request. especially as this is not an INT_ forum.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    NICE

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post

If the judge actually said this I'll eat Morgan Le Fay's sporran, if she hasn't already.
    That quote is awfully hard to swallow, but I saw it pop up a few other places (all linking back to dailyexpress.com):

Quote Originally Posted by dailyexpress
    Campaigners last night warned it could mean millions might try to claim they are gay to qualify for asylum in Britain. Supreme Court judge Lord Rodger said gay people’s right to live freely must be protected.

He said: “Just as male heterosexuals are free to enjoy themselves playing rugby, drinking beer and talking about girls with their mates, so male homosexuals are to be free to enjoy themselves going to Kylie concerts, drinking exotically-coloured cocktails and talking about boys with their straight female mates.”
    Still jaw dropping, but it looks like a directly attributed quote. It will be interesting to see if it turns out to be true.

Meanwhile, the judge can stay in the dark about gay rugby teams in the US, or players like Gareth Thomas. Although I guess I do know a gay, beer drinking rugby player who also likes Kylie... so go figure.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    If the judge actually said this I'll eat Morgan Le Fay's sporran, if she hasn't already.
    Less about your dreams. What did you think of the article?

Judges in England are hopelessly out of touch. It doesn't surprise me in the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Wait.

Britain grants asylum to gay people. People from other countries may want asylum and may not necessarily be gay. does that mean they need to create a litmus test to prove that they're gay?

Not that I want gays to be executed in their native land, but again, this seems like a difficult thing to enforce.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Less about your dreams. What did you think of the article?
    Ibid., looks like someone didn't read it!

Judges in England are hopelessly out of touch. It doesn't surprise me in the least.
    *Notes "England"

Managed to track down the original quote. It contained the correct information but was deliberately taken out of context by the Express to misrepresent the situation. Surprise! :rolli:

Here's the full quote in its original context of the debate by the judges.

Gay asylum seekers win case to stay - UK News - MSN News UK

The Court of Appeal had found that both men could conceal their sexual orientation to avoid the risk of being persecuted and neither had a "well-founded fear of persecution" which entitled them to protection under the UN Convention for refugees.

The Supreme Court justices unanimously found that the test applied by the Court of Appeal was contrary to the Convention and should not be followed in the future. Both cases will be sent back for reconsideration in light of the guidance from the Supreme Court.

Lord Hope, deputy president of the court, who headed a panel of five justices who heard the case over three days in May, said that to compel a homosexual to pretend that their sexuality does not exist or can be suppressed was to deny him his fundamental right to be who he is.

Lord Rodger said the normal behaviour of gay people must be protected as it was for straight people. He said: "What is protected is the applicant's right to live freely and openly as a gay man. To illustrate the point with trivial stereotypical examples from British society: just as male heterosexuals are free to enjoy themselves playing rugby, drinking beer and talking about girls with their mates, so male homosexuals are to be free to enjoy themselves going to Kylie concerts, drinking exotically coloured cocktails and talking about boys with their straight female mates."
    *This omission on the part of the Express is of course, purely intentional*

I hope I don't have to explain this further...
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...