User Tag List

12 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Default British Panel Clears Climate Scientists. (but too late)

A British panel issued a sweeping exoneration on Wednesday of scientists caught up in the controversy known as Climategate, saying it found no evidence that they had manipulated their research to support preconceived ideas about global warming.
    The Russell panel also found little reason to question the advice the scientists had given to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the United Nations body that produces a major review of the science of global warming every few years. The new report said that “we did not find any evidence of behavior that might undermine the conclusions of the I.P.C.C. assessments.”

The review was the fifth to come to essentially the same conclusion about the e-mail messages sent by Dr. Jones and other scientists, though it was the most comprehensive and eagerly awaited of the investigations. Last week the second of two reviews at Pennsylvania State University exonerated Michael Mann, a scientist there who had also been a focus of the controversy.
    Unfortunately, "climate-gate" is already old news, and popular media never pays attention to follow-ups like these. Essentially everyone that was made more skeptical by that whole pseudo-scandal will probably continue to believe that it meant something, never seeing, or perhaps seeing but not believing, that no dishonesty actually took place.

Article:
    British Panel Clears Climate Scientists.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Global warming was and is still a big fat fraud..

Just follow the money .. $500 billion a year in green taxes and counting.

If you think I am kidding.. look at what most of us are willing to do for a weekly paycheck.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post

If you think I am kidding.. look at what most of us are willing to do for a weekly paycheck.
    I'll repeat what I said in another thread:

Just about every business that is based on resource extraction has a reason to be against environmental protection.

Pretty much every business that's based on heavy industrial production has a reason to be against environmental protection.

Actually, exclude the ones that want to try and cash in on ethanol, agro-businesses have no reason to favor environmental protection.

How on earth does the money trail lead to the environmentalists? How can you assume people fighting global warming are corporate pawns, and yet trust those who oppose doing anything about it, with the finances stacked like that?
    The money trail does not lead in favor of keeping a GIGANTIC scientific hoax going. Also, you must really dislike scientists if you think all of them are that easy to bribe.

Anyway, following the money is good advice for making an initial guess, or deciding what to investigate, but it is not actually evidence of anything regarding whether or not climate change is or isn't happening.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post

Cap-and-trade legislation disproves the earth getting warmer? Just stick to the science.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Climategate inquiry: no deceit, too little cooperation - environment - 07 July 2010 - New Scientist

However, a close examination of the findings calls that statement into question. [the complete exoneration-Jock's note] For instance the inquiry found that scientists at the CRU and elsewhere had been "misleading" in the way they used a version of the celebrated "hockey stick" graph of reconstructed past temperatures. Although the initial paper gave full disclosure of the methods used to amalgamate thermometer measurements with proxy data – from tree rings, for instance – a subsequent publication of the graph in a World Meteorological Organization volume did not, which Russell and his colleagues deemed misleading.

Elsewhere, the report's own methods seem less than thorough. For instance, the inquiry team investigated only three among many instances in which the scientists seemed to be subverting the peer-review process. In particular, it did not look in detail at one instance in which Jones, then director of the unit, said in an email that he had "gone to town" to prevent publication of a paper that was critical of his own work.
    Nor did the investigators get to the bottom of whether CRU scientists had deleted emails for fear they might be requested under freedom-of-information laws. "We find that there was evidence that emails might have been deleted in order to make them unavailable should a subsequent request be made for them," states the report. But at the launch this morning, the authors admitted they had not specifically asked the researchers if they had deleted such emails. [LOLOLOLOLOLOL-Jock's hearty guffaw]
    Yeah they did a great job. Sounds like they banged this one out over a couple pints at the local pub.

FWIW, I believe in global climate change and believe humans play an important role. But, I am also aware of to how politicized the science is and think it's naive to believe EVERY establishment or university is going to be completely honest with their methods or data simply because there's a lot of money in terms of grants and funding to be had if you've got the right kind of press release. So, when someone fucks up, considering how important the issue is, I don't understand why people are hesitant to tar and feather the shit out of the liars.

I'm not even saying their data is/was bad. But they handled themselves very poorly.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I'm not even saying their data is/was bad. But they handled themselves very poorly.
    But none of it warranted the popular response that was extrapolated from it, and that response was certainly harmful.

It seems to be the habit of climate change deniers to make mountains out of anthills. Unfortunately the media was complicit to this at least in the case of "climate-gate" because so many reports inflated the transgressions of these researchers, particularly in terms of reporting suspicions as factual discoveries. Guilty until proven innocent, basically.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But none of warranted the popular response that was extrapolated from it, and that response was certainly harmful.

It seems to be the habit of climate change deniers to make mountains out of anthills. Unfortunately the media was complicit to this at least in the case of "climate-gate" because so many reports inflated the transgressions of these researchers, particularly in terms of reporting suspicions as factual discoveries. Guilty until proven innocent, basically.
    Well to be honest, it's up to the scientific community to really just persevere and let the data speak for itself, and for them to be responsible. You know, like not delete sensitive emails and have clear transparency. Behavior like this place implies you have something to hide. Most climate change deniers are idiots and morons. The scientific equivalents to homeless evangelists wearing cardboard signs and predicting doom if we don't repent by guzzling as much oil as we can.

Both camps have a sizable "circle the wagons" mentality that seems to provoke extreme reactions from each side as they trade blows. It's understandable that the scientists are very sensitive to how their data is interpreted [which is why I think they should stop including the apocalyptic scenarios in the press releases, but that's another topic] because it gives the wrong idea but it's also a shame you can't be skeptical of a report, or method, or whatever without everyone freaking out and calling you a denier.

Whatever. I just find it amusing. Personally I hope we burn this stupid rock to the ground so we can get on with space exploration already.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

but it's also a shame you can't be skeptical of a report, or method, or whatever without everyone freaking out and calling you a denier.
    At least on this forum there is seldom a comment posted expressing skepticism in a climate report that isn't followed by declarations about the falsehood of the entire idea of man-made climate change.

Whatever. I just find it amusing. Personally I hope we burn this stupid rock to the ground so we can get on with space exploration already.
    At the rate we are going right now, we will disable ourselves permanently long before we have the necessary technology to make a living in space or on other bodies. It think it would actually be easier to correct the environmental problems on earth.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It seems to be the habit of climate change deniers to make mountains out of anthills.
    One can argue that certain politicians and climatologists have made a career out of it.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    One can argue that certain politicians and climatologists have made a career out of it.
    It's easy to argue for anything. One's options become much more limited when they feel obligated to make a good argument.

Though I sincerely believe that the majority of people don't even know where to start if they wanted to do that.
    Go to sleep, iguana.