User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Err, what do Brits have against Argentina?
    Britain fought Argentina over the Falklands, a series of oil-rich islands off the bottom tip of Argentina, in 1982.

Falklands War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't realize the two populations were still pissy about it.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    Britain fought Argentina over the Falklands, a series of oil-rich islands off the bottom tip of Argentina, in 1982.

Falklands War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't realize the two populations were still pissy about it.
    Seriously? 1982 and still pissy?

that's totally crazy.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ

that's totally crazy.
    I know.

Americans have a brutal war with Japan ending in a nuclear blast, and ten years later we're eating sushi and practicing karate.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    I know.

Americans have a brutal war with Japan ending in a nuclear blast, and ten years later we're eating sushi and practicing karate.
    I mean I guess we're still pissy with North Korea, but if you hang an North Korean flag, I doubt anyone would recognize it...

MBTI
    INTJ

I mean I guess we're still pissy with North Korea, but if you hang an North Korean flag, I doubt anyone would recognize it...
    True, but North Korea has been actively attacking/terrorizing our ally, South Korea. Remember how they just bombed that South Korean cruiser?

MBTI
    ENFJ

I don't know then. All the things I can think of mostly just give VFWs heart attacks and would not necessarily be too shocking. I mean, it's not very nice to torment VFWs, and I would not recommend it, but you know...

Could it be, tcda's Britain is more nationalist than our USA?

It's bizarre to think American stupidity is the one thing protecting us from killing ourselves.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't know then. All the things I can think of mostly just give VFWs heart attacks and would not necessarily be too shocking. I mean, it's not very nice to torment VFWs, and I would not recommend it, but you know...

Could it be, tcda's Britain is more nationalist than our USA?

It's bizarre to think American stupidity is the one thing protecting us from killing ourselves.
    I don't know if they're more nationalistic, but the US is definitely more individualistic. I think that plays a role.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

that's totally crazy.
    To be honest it'd be more about football than about the 1982 war.

And where I live nobody particularly hates Argentina, tin fact people are pretty friendly. They just wouldn't want any non-English flag being flown, it would be seen as a provocation. Especially during any major football tournament.

I'm not saying English are especially bad. try wavign an England flag in Argentina and see what happens!

but anyway my whole point here was that, the behaviour over the Mohamed cartoons, was not particularly about "Islam". All kind so of communities become violent over symbolic insults.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    To be honest it'd be more about football than about the 1982 war.

And where I live nobody particularly hates Argentina, tin fact people are pretty friendly. They just wouldn't want any non-English flag being flown, it would be seen as a provocation. Especially during any major football tournament.

I'm not saying English are especially bad. try wavign an England flag in Argentina and see what happens!

but anyway my whole point here was that, the behaviour over the Mohamed cartoons, was not particularly about "Islam". All kind so of communities become violent over symbolic insults.
    That's so weird. In the US you can hang any national flag you like and nobody would say a thing. In fact, most do. There are Union Jacks and Canadian and Italian and Japanese and South Korean and Brazilian and whatever flags all over.

I guess we do not get so upset over symbolic behaviors.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I guess.

As with Muslims, with English people it is also only a very small minority which would commit nationalistic violence. As with Muslims, the great majority deplore such behaviour. But that minority exists, and I think over here they are more scary than the "Muslim threat".
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.