User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 92

  1. #31
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    So what do you think of the western WASP establishment, tcda? The white Anglo bourgeoisie? Collectively, is it hero or villain?
    The bourgeoisie is defined by property, not by ethnicity, Oberon.

    You really should stop trying to be funny about Marxism when you keep getting the basics wrong!


    anyway I have to say, it's impressive that you've replied many times and not once quoted the article in question.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  2. #32
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    The bourgeoisie is defined by property, not by ethnicity, Oberon.
    ...which is completely in keeping with the premise that racism is no longer predicated on ethnicity either.

    So... are you brave enough to answer the question or not?

  3. #33
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Does criticizing Judaism make you anti-semitic? no.

    Does arguing that the Jewish community is an exceptional threat to western civilization and therefore shpould be place dudner special scrutiny make you one? Yes.
    What if you are a Marxist who thinks that religious Zionism is a false consciousness that poses an exceptional threat to the welfare and security of Palestinian Arabs? If a majority of an identifiable population of Jews is shown (through survey research, for instance) to believe (through socialization) in the basic precepts behind such a false consciousness, would this hypothetical Marxist not then apply greater scrutiny to such a population group, relative to some other groups, for the purposes of effecting a change to this pattern? And would that constitute anti-semitism?

    As a proud anti-Jihadist, I don't buy the argument of the article, but its always good to remind oneself that rational differentiation (particularly when combined with frustration) is often a gray area that can bleed into bigotry if one is not careful to avoid it.

  4. #34
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    What the original article is trying to do is to slap an already loaded term on a phenomenon that it does not describe.

    Whether it is a bad or good phenomenon is besides the point. The difference between using the wrong word in English is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

    The correct thing to do is to take a new term and make it loaded by your own blood, sweat, and tears, but to rhetoricians, that takes far too much effort.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  5. #35
    Senior Member eagleseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Does arguing that the Jewish community is an exceptional threat to western civilization and therefore shpould be place dudner special scrutiny make you one? Yes.
    So putting American Christian Fundamentalist WASPs on a terrorist-watch-list is racist? Better tell the US Department of Homeland Security.

    US DHS: Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment, 7 Apr 2009

    Who are the Christian militia 'Hutaree' and why was the FBI targeting them? - Yahoo! News


    Victims of a racist government?

  6. #36
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Focusing on culture and religion is a form of nationalism and xenophobia, not racism.

    Also, my take on "the new fact of racism" is the popularity of the mentality in the U.S. that "whitey is evil."

  7. #37
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    So putting American Christian Fundamentalist WASPs on a terrorist-watch-list is racist? Better tell the US Department of Homeland Security.

    US DHS: Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment, 7 Apr 2009

    Who are the Christian militia 'Hutaree' and why was the FBI targeting them? - Yahoo! News


    Victims of a racist government?
    So how does this relate to the article posted?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  8. #38
    Senior Member eagleseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    So how does this relate to the article posted?
    The FBI is actively monitoring so-called Christian extremist groups in the US, as well as so-called Muslim extremist groups.

    If, as you say, the West is racist for fearing and criticizing certain Muslim practices, then the US Government must also be racist for fearing and criticizing certain Christian practices.

    Do you understand?


  9. #39
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    What if you are a Marxist who thinks that religious Zionism is a false consciousness that poses an exceptional threat to the welfare and security of Palestinian Arabs? If a majority of an identifiable population of Jews is shown (through survey research, for instance) to believe (through socialization) in the basic precepts behind such a false consciousness, would this hypothetical Marxist not then apply greater scrutiny to such a population group, relative to some other groups, for the purposes of effecting a change to this pattern? And would that constitute anti-semitism?

    As a proud anti-Jihadist, I don't buy the argument of the article, but its always good to remind oneself that rational differentiation (particularly when combined with frustration) is often a gray area that can bleed into bigotry if one is not careful to avoid it.
    Ah "false consciousness". you wouldn't just be throwing in a term you heard in order to sound knowledgeable about marxism, right?

    I don't think Zionism (religious or otherwise, it makes little difference) presents some special threat to humanity. Clearly, it is a force of brutal oppression against the Palestinians, as apartheid was against black South Africans. And likewise it is part of a wider global system to which it is subordinate.

    Just like if you can show concretely where people are daily being oppressed by "Islamism", then yes in that case, it is a serious force to be reckoned with.

    however in "the west" no-one can show this, as it is not the case. muslims are a tiny minority with very marginal economic and social power.

    In short - let's talk in terms of reality and not abstract logic (I know this is something you hate to do lowtech, but you should).
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  10. #40
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Any extreme cultish form of religion poses a threat. I don't think that non-whites and people from other countries should ever be unfairly stigmatized, but at the same time, I don't think they should get special leniency either just because they happen to be brown. That's kind of a form of reverse racism, a form of racism that I feel is happening a lot in the liberal West.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] The Many Faces of INFJ
    By Arclight in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 06:44 PM
  2. 100 Year Event: Transit of Venus Across the Face of the Sun
    By MacGuffin in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 01:49 AM
  3. [ENFJ] Are ENFJs infamous for dropping off the face of the planet?
    By Glycerine in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 07:17 PM
  4. [NT] Face of the Hard
    By entropie in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 03:08 AM
  5. The True Face of "Beauty"
    By Totenkindly in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO