User Tag List

First 789

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well, it's hands across the Pacific to illustrate cultural differences.

The biggest danger, as I see it, is to ignore cultural differences and think we are all the same.

And if you belong to the economy that has been the largest in the world for more than a century and remains the largest today, it is very easy to elide the cultural differences of your allies.

And it is part of a larger problem of devaluing history whereas it is history that determines who we are.

For instance, if you had understood the history of Vietnam would you have lied about the Gulf of Tonkin Incident and go on to kill three million Vietnamese, 1.1 million combatants and 2 million civilians?

And if you had understood the history of Iraq would you have lied about weapons of mass destruction and go on to kill upwards of 1 million Iraqi?

And if you had understood the history of Afghanistan would you have invaded rather than conducting a police action?

And if you had understood the history of Pakistan would you have bombed them creating what is now a civil war in the cities of Pakistan.

I could go on and ask you about West Papua, Indonesia, Cambodia and other countries but what is the point for you don't even understand your own history never mind anyone else's and you don't care.

But you've got to start somewhere and why not start with an ally that speaks the same language, has a similar polity, and comes off the same British tree?

It's a no brainer.
    Do you really think you are so clever as to assume that nobody involved in policy ever considers history among other things? As if the whole of US history is merely a repetitive sequence of blundering fools in charge who are incapable of basic rational choice and never seek the advice of regional experts...
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    I think it is actually a good thing if a PM or President is atheist.

I do not want someone with their finger on the button leaving it to "God"

I think the best leader would be a humanist and I would hope their responsibility would rest solely on their humanity.
    That perspective is essentially the same as a theist who won't vote for an atheist because the former believes that the latter lacks fear of divine retribution or belief in a non-relativistic morality, etc.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Do you really think you are so clever as to assume that nobody involved in policy ever considers history among other things? As if the whole of US history is merely a repetitive sequence of blundering fools in charge who are incapable of basic rational choice and never seek the advice of regional experts...
    And if that's the case, what that must say about the mountain of countries that were unable to keep up with such idiots during the 20th Century? (I make no comment on our 21st century actions however, and this is half joking)

Back to topic. Why on earth should I care what her personal life looks like? I honestly don't care if the politician is having an extramarital orgy every weekend, is or isn't a theist, drinks too much or never does, or if they'd had children out of marriage or had an abortion.

I care about how well they do the task I'm electing them to do, and I care about their policy positions and such. What they do when they aren't at work, I really don't care. The personal choices of others, are exactly that....their personal choices. I have no right to place judgment on them for what they do with their own time.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%