User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    "In a series of lectures delivered in Sydney in August 1915, Bishop Leadbeater proclaimed “Australia and New Zealand as the home of a new sub-race.” He had detected in Australia “children and young people of a distinctly new type.” A new antipodean human type characterised by intuition and the powers of synthesis. Jill Roe in her book on Theosophy in Australia writes:"

WTF?
    Yeah I know.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Though I think there are plenty of closet agnostics/atheists in the Democratic party. And Obama has publically criticized religion, doesn't really attend church much anymore, and defended secular society, saying their moral system is just as in tact.
    It's probably a mistake to assume that just because someone criticizes organized religion and doesn't attend church regularly isn't spiritual or religious.

There's many people nowadays who still call themselves spiritual, but for whom organized religion has left a bad taste in their mouth.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yeah I know.
    Reminds me of how Heinrich Himmler and other Nazis practiced occultism and believed ancient stories of Atlanean Aryans who traveled to Tibet and then spread throughout Europe. And then of course the Nazi "God men" traveled there and to other countries to compare different races to trace a potential genetic lineage. Which... also reminds me of your signature in some ways... ... and the swastika pretty much represents man's struggle to reclaim godhood in some ways...

Smile Theosophy and our National Capital

"In a series of lectures delivered in Sydney in August 1915, Bishop Leadbeater proclaimed “Australia and New Zealand as the home of a new sub-race.” He had detected in Australia “children and young people of a distinctly new type.” A new antipodean human type characterised by intuition and the powers of synthesis. Jill Roe in her book on Theosophy in Australia writes:"

WTF?
    Yes, all that is left of the Theosophical Society is a bookshop in a basement in Sydney.

At the turn of the 20th Century before WW I we were full of naive hope. Australia was leading he world in social progress and our per capita income was one of the highest in the world.

But travel through Australia today and in every town and city you will find a cenotaph to the Australian dead of WW I. And WW II was yet to come.

Our hopes died for half a century and the building of Canberra was postponed. But in about 1950 our economy started to pick up and we started to build Canberra to the plans of Walter Burley Griffin and his wife Marion.

But by then Theosophy has been forgotten and all that is left is the sacred geometry.

The Enlightenment has proved more durable. So it would be fair to say that Canberra is built on the Enlightenment and the greatest good for the greatest number with an underlay of sacred geometry.

Most Australians don't know of the sacred geometry of Canberra but in little bookshops there is book you can buy describing the sacred geometry of Canberra in all its glory. And it is quite extraordinary, stretching from our highest mountain, through our great national spaces and buildings and even out to the suburbs. There are circles and circles within circles and visitors get lost driving in circles, little knowing they are driving through sacred geometry.

And sadly today Theosophy has been reduced to the New Age Movement along with Astrology and MBTI. But it had its glory days one hundred and ten years ago and left its imprint on the landscape of Canberra, our National Capital.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Are you suggesting that the fact that a person is atheist automatically casts aspersions on that person's character, or are you saying that you would not vote for somebody solely on the fact that they are atheists, without any consideration upon their qualifications otherwise?
    When the shit hits the fan, and the weak are weeded from the strong, I won't be putting my money or my vote on an atheist. It's a matter of trust.

Only if the character has good leader-like qualities. Why would you want "good character" when the goodness of it is only a social grace? Or maybe the goodness of it comes with a fraudulent disposition? What they stand for, authentically, is the best character trait. While I may not agree with all of Ron Paul's analysis or politics, he seems to be the most consistent and authentic of anyone I've heard of over the past 10 years. This would be a good example of someone who doesn't get lost in the twilight of political peer pressure and self-servitude.
    Character is necessary but not sufficient for a leader, I agree, if that's what you are trying to say. In general, if a potential leader acts in ways that would cause you to be unsurprised should that leader be caught in a blackmail situation, then the leader does not have the right character.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Smile Religion and the Enlightenment in the Same Bed

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    I won't be putting my money or my vote on an atheist. It's a matter of trust.
    It's interesting that religion and the Enlightenment have reached an accommodation here. For while the Enlightenment is for the greatest good for the greatest number, religion, at least here, is in favour of Social Justice.

And there is barely a hair's breadth between the greatest good for the greatest number and Social Justice.

So finally here in Canberra, religion and the Enlightenment sleep in the same bed separated only by a hair.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's interesting that religion and the Enlightenment have reached an accommodation here. For while the Enlightenment is for the greatest good for the greatest number, religion, at least here, is in favour of Social Justice.

And there is barely a hair's breadth between the greatest good for the greatest number and Social Justice.

So finally here in Canberra, religion and the Enlightenment sleep in the same bed.
    From what I've seen, people care about social justice when there's nothing else to care about. And even then, people only use the word justice to advance their own agendas.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INTJ

So finally here in Canberra, religion and the Enlightenment sleep in the same bed separated only by a hair.
    Ain't that dandy!

Billybob, get the rifles and maw in the truck, we're headin ta Canberra! Yeehaw!

Ginkgo

So finally here in Canberra, religion and the Enlightenment sleep in the same bed.
    What do you mean, exactly, by "the greatest good for the greatest number"? I think that having a mixture of both reason and faith would be "the greatest good for the greatest number". Enlightenment principles are solely based on reason, but since rationality doesn't exactly address the human spirit and what its needs are (when I say "human spirit" I mean everything irrational about men, everything that deals with the subconscious, unconscious, Id, or even if you want to attribute 'spirit' or 'soul' in some other context, I'm sure it will suite you), I think it's only reasonable to have some faith of some sort.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    From what I've seen, people care about social justice when there's nothing else to care about. And even then, people only use the word justice to advance their own agendas.
    I only have to look around to see it is put into practice here.

Yes, the greatest good for the greatest number and social justice are put into practice every day here.