User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    While we were founded by the Scottish and English Enlightenment which believed and practised the greatest good for the greatest number.
    Well this article tells a slightly different story, of how your country was actually founded upon Esoteric Occultism:

Esoteric Australia | New Dawn : The World's Most Unusual Magazine

In 2001 as Australians celebrated the centenary of federation, no attention was paid to the role of mystic thinkers and esoteric ideas in Australian history. The vast majority of Australians know nothing of the “inner side” of their country’s political, cultural and religious evolution.
    You don't say?

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well this article tells a slightly different story, of how your country was actually founded upon Esoteric Occultism:

Thanks for the article link Peguy - you have given me more food for thought and this is fascinating stuff!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    ----

why is there a sydney swans icon attached to this thread? everyone knows she's a bulldogs fan!

Smile Sacred Geometry and the Enlightenment

It's true, Canberra was designed by Theosophists, Walter Burley Griffin and his wife, Marion.

And although Canberra is the newest of cities, it is also based on sacred geometry, as were the very oldest cities.

So Canberra is the oldest and newest, based on the age old religion of sacred geometry and the new Enlightenment.

A marriage of fascination, beauty and mystery.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Off topic but of curiosity to me:

What I don't understand is that the very definition of Occult
    oc·cult (-klt, klt)
    adj.
    1. Of, relating to, or dealing with supernatural influences, agencies, or phenomena.
    2. Beyond the realm of human comprehension; inscrutable.
    ...is of a word perceived to be the evil opposite of a belief in the divine, when in fact the divine could be said to fit the meaning of the word precisely???

The sacred geometry of Phi is evident in almost everything we perceive as being beautiful, of balance and natural harmony yet the five pointed star, a construct of Phi, is associated with devil worship and such???

Phi: 1.618. The best source to the golden section, golden mean, divine proportion, Fibonacci series and phi, 1.618. Explore its application to art, design, life, beauty, mathematics, geometry, stock markets, theology, cosmology and more.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post
    I don't know how anyone would let someone's religion, gender, or lifestyle interfere with whether they vote for them. Those would only affect my vote if, by the nature of what they are, influenced her policies. If for an example, she wanted to ban religion because she was an atheist, I'm sure I wouldn't vote her. In that scenario the symptom is the ban policy, the cause is atheism. Don't take that as broad or sweeping either. I'm talking about that logical example.
    Exactly.

Religious beliefs, sex, sexual orientation, race, marital status aren't even remotely of concern to me when voting and the same goes for most of my country. Of course there are the old-fashioned sexists and racists etc here but on the whole people don't care. I didn't even know my current Prime Minister is Jewish until it vaguely came up in a debate a week before the election (even then the question related to his position on Israel) and I'd say 90% of the population still doesn't know. I'm still unaware of the previous Prime Minister's religious beliefs, and frankly I don't care.

I don't see why it matters. Religion often informs a politician's beliefs and therefore, their policies but its the policies themselves that sway my vote not the religion.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Would you vote for a President who is an avowed, public atheist like the Prime Minister of Australia (Oz), Julia Gillard just to your left?

Would you vote for a President who is an avowed, public atheist and a woman, just like Julia Gillard?

And would you vote for a President who is an avowed, public atheist, a women and who is living in sin with her partner, just like Julia Gillard, Prime Minister of Australia?
    Of course, and I will (for a Prime Minister, not a President). It will be my first time voting ever - and also the best birthday present for a newly-turned-18 year old woman!

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'd vote for one, but an atheist being elected President in America won't be a political reality for years, if ever. Americans would choose a Muslim over an atheist.

Though I think there are plenty of closet agnostics/atheists in the Democratic party. And Obama has publically criticized religion, doesn't really attend church much anymore, and defended secular society, saying their moral system is just as in tact.

Ginkgo

You don't say?
    "In a series of lectures delivered in Sydney in August 1915, Bishop Leadbeater proclaimed “Australia and New Zealand as the home of a new sub-race.” He had detected in Australia “children and young people of a distinctly new type.” A new antipodean human type characterised by intuition and the powers of synthesis. Jill Roe in her book on Theosophy in Australia writes:"

WTF?

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I have not read this thread, only pondered the OP.
    SO if this has been expressed already, my apologies.

I think it is actually a good thing if a PM or President is atheist.

I do not want someone with their finger on the button leaving it to "God"

I think the best leader would be a humanist and I would hope their responsibility would rest solely on their humanity.