First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Now, had they made homosexual or Muslim options, I'm think those may well have been lower than athiest, but they weren't on the poll.
    Hate to break it to you, but atheist are even more mistrusted than Muslims and homosexuals for from the data I've seen.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

No. Character is the first and most important quality of a leader. A person without reasonably good character is not ready to take on leadership.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Yes and I will!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but atheist are even more mistrusted than Muslims and homosexuals for from the data I've seen.
    I suspect you are talking about the US which was founded by fundamental Christians escaping persecution. Australia was founded by convicts, the military and British 2nd sons who were an embarrassment to their families. It has since become a melting pot of all nations, ethnicities and religious (or not) persuasion.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't know how anyone would let someone's religion, gender, or lifestyle interfere with whether they vote for them. Those would only affect my vote if, by the nature of what they are, influenced her policies. If for an example, she wanted to ban religion because she was an atheist, I'm sure I wouldn't vote her. In that scenario the symptom is the ban policy, the cause is atheism. Don't take that as broad or sweeping either. I'm talking about that logical example.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post
    I don't know how anyone would let someone's religion, gender, or lifestyle interfere with whether they vote for them. Those would only affect my vote if, by the nature of what they are, influenced her policies. If for an example, she wanted to ban religion because she was an atheist, I'm sure I wouldn't vote her. In that scenario the symptom is the ban policy, the cause is atheism. Don't take that as broad or sweeping either. I'm talking about that logical example.
    Well said - my thoughts precisely!!
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Now, had they made homosexual or Muslim options, I'm think those may well have been lower than athiest, but they weren't on the poll. Still, with the choices that were there, it was quite an expression of the religiousity of Americans.
    Interestingly, I rented a room from a single white gay man in his late 40's for a few months. His house was in a 40-50 year old suburb, so most of the white protestant population had been there a long time, and his moving in ten years ago made him an outsider in many ways. But because he was gay, no matter how cheery he was, he said he was the village pariah...

... until the lone black family moved in two houses down the street a few years later.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Would you vote for a President who is an avowed, public atheist like the Prime Minister of Australia (Oz), Julia Gillard just to your left?

Would you vote for a President who is an avowed, public atheist and a woman, just like Julia Gillard?

And would you vote for a President who is an avowed, public atheist, a women and who is living in sin with her partner, just like Julia Gillard, Prime Minister of Australia?
    No.

Yes.

No.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    No. Character is the first and most important quality of a leader. A person without reasonably good character is not ready to take on leadership.
    Are you suggesting that the fact that a person is atheist automatically casts aspersions on that person's character, or are you saying that you would not vote for somebody solely on the fact that they are atheists, without any consideration upon their qualifications otherwise?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Only if the character has good leader-like qualities. Why would you want "good character" when the goodness of it is only a social grace? Or maybe the goodness of it comes with a fraudulent disposition? What they stand for, authentically, is the best character trait. While I may not agree with all of Ron Paul's analysis or politics, he seems to be the most consistent and authentic of anyone I've heard of over the past 10 years. This would be a good example of someone who doesn't get lost in the twilight of political peer pressure and self-servitude.