User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Still, they did herald the breaking of the grip of the Church on Ireland.

So instead of being priest-ridden, the Irish are now getting rid of the priests to save the children.
    You know Vic, since you put her in your title and avatar, this seems a little narcissistic. Almost as if you see her as your own mother, and you cannot distinguish between yourself and her. Furthermore, it would seem that you are synchronizing Catholicism with child molestation, and finding meaning in doing so; as if one is causal of the other. In the same way that you synchronize narcissism with MBTI. Isn't that fancy?

I think the gender, race, ethnicity, and orientation are irrelevant to whether I want to vote for politicians are not. Such things are glamorized in a way that is meant to distract people, in the same way that Obama was championed for his race. I'm not saying it's bad to vote for black, females, or anything of the sort. I just think this is the kind of superficial punditry you find in contemporary politics. I think it's a sham, just like how politicians are prompted into office by what they promise and not for their potential. Just like gender, race, and religion, promises are fleeting and utterly irrelevant in the political spectrum. You may say I'm wrong, considering the number of religious neocons America has put in office and how they've affected us, but it really has nothing to do with their religious orientation and more to do with what they value.

Just like banana ignored Lark, you're going to be the first on my ignore list. Don't burn your hand on the barbie.

MBTI
    NICE

But why should we be surprised as women first gained the national vote in Australia and New Zealand - for the first time in human history.
    Sadly no. Corsica was.

In November 1755, Pasquale Paoli proclaimed Corsica a sovereign nation, independent from the Republic of Genoa. He created the Corsican Constitution, which was the first constitution written under Enlightenment principles, including the first implementation of female suffrage, later revoked by the French when they took over the island in 1769.
    Sauce: Corsican Republic

Revoked by the enlightened French.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    No they're not. Take it from someone who lives here.

The Irish people, especially Sinead O'Connor (one of the few people I could ever consider a role model) have been extremely outspoken about their disgust of the church, but the government is doing absolutely sweet-fuck-all about the problem.

Last time I checked, paedophilia and child rape were criminal offences. Most of these priests are not only being let walk free of their crimes, but many are not even being removed from the church.

You think that's bad? A law was instated recently making it an arrestable offence to publicly insult the church.

Religion is dying in this country at an alarming rate, and we're better off for the fact (I haven't been a practising Catholic since I was 14), but the church still has an absolutely huge influence.

I'm sorry if I've burst your bubble about our country, but that's the reality of what things are like here right now.
    Of course the Irish Church brought Catholicism to Australia long with child rape and torture.

So we have read the Ryan Report and the Dublin Report with interest.

We have managed to convict a number of priests and brothers of child rape in our Criminal Courts but we have only managed to convict one priest of covering up child rape and that is Father Thomas Brennan.

And as you note there is not one Monseigneur, not one Bishop, not one Archbishop, not one Cardinal and not one Pope, who has had their day in Court.

But still, although Catholicism is the largest religion in Australia at about 25%, ninety percent of Catholics don't go to Mass.

We have voted with our feet.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Sadly no. Corsica was.

Source: Corsican Republic
    We bow to Corsica.

MBTI
    NICE

And well you should.

Smile Corsica and the Enlightenment

Quote Originally Posted by Bananatrombones
    ...the Corsican Constitution, which was the first constitution written under Enlightenment principles, including the first implementation of female suffrage...
    This is most interesting particularly the first Constitution written under Enlightenment principles.

'Cause as you know, we were founded by the Scottish and English Enlightenment and were, after Corsica, one of the first with female suffrage.

The Enlightenment gave us so much, from the abolition of institutional slavery for the first time in human history by the House of Commons, to female suffrage, to the prosecution for the first time in our Criminal Courts of child sexual abuse.

The Enlightenment also gave us modern economics, science, modern medicine, universal literacy and liberal democracy.

And how interesting Corsica led the way.

MBTI
    NICE

This is most interesting particularly the first Constitution written under Enlightenment principles.

'Cause as you know, we were founded by the Scottish and English Enlightenment are were, after Corsica, one of the first with female suffrage.

The Enlightenment gave us so much, from the abolition of institutional slavery for the first time in human history by the House of Commons, to female suffrage, to the prosecution for the first time in our Criminal Courts child sexual abuse.

The Enlightenment also gave us modern economics, science, modern medicine, universal literacy and liberal democracy.

And how interesting Corsica led the way.

Have you ever seen Corsican women?

Ginkgo

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

This is the part where the thread gets completely derailed into a comedic spam fest for 20 pages, isn't it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    This is the part where the thread gets completely derailed into a comedic spam fest for 20 pages, isn't it?
    You know, the intensity gets to them after a while and they seek comedic relief.