User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default Chicago's Mayor is Officially Retarded.

Chicago Mayors New Gun Proposal

If this happens Chicago will prove to everyone why this is a horrible idea. I assure you Chicago would become the nations worst place to live. With too many crimes and no one but the police able to defend others from criminals who dont care about gun laws. Thank you Mayor Daley, your officially a fucktard.
    SDMF

They shouldnt be pulling this shit, what are you guys going to do if some mean foxes come after your kids now?

Damn!!

MBTI
    yupp

well we can't have guns already we can't even conceal and carry. But yah it's fucking retarded.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

NYC adopted strict gun control laws, and their homicide and crime rates dropped to record lows. Those fucktards!

Hopefully the same doesn't happen to Chicago.

MBTI
    INTJ

Well I'll be surprised if this new proposal makes it any longer than any of the other attempts to actually control handguns in Chicago.

Certain people really need to have a loaded gun under their pillowcase in order to sleep soundly at night. Yet most refuse to undergo any proper training in order to be able to handle their guns...

I always find it funny how people who have likely never killed a person think they'll be able to easily kill someone or even wound them during a home invasion etc... It just isn't very likely that someone who never shot anyone dead in real life (even if they often visit the range) will be able to hold their shit together long enough to actually shoot someone dead during a home invasion etc...

Even if they got lucky and shot one person - if there are multiple attackers (and there typically are) it isn't likely they'll be able to react well to killing their first person while also attempting to locate and kill a second target. Yeah - I know everyone always thinks they'll behave like the "punisher" if someone rolls into their house and starts trying to take their shit or hurt their family - but in reality most people (even well trained people) aren't so great at killing people when they don't have much practice with it.

Even if by some miracle they don't freeze up from the shock of actually killing a real life person and all of the unfortunate images that would go along with that - for their sake they'd better hit them mortally the first time since many are not use to having a gun go off inside their homes in the middle of the night without any eye protection or ear plugs...

without some extensive training I have a hard time believing that the average citizen with a gun will accomplish much more than getting themselves and their family members shot with their own gun(s) during a home invasion or similar such events... For most people I think feeling safe is better than actually being safe.. nobody wants to undertake any of the necessary precautions to really build a safer society - that takes too much money and work...

Still this is an issue that will die hard with many Americans... Certain people want to protect the right of any dodo to have 30 guns stashed in their homes even if they don't know how to use them....
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    watch where you're driving f$cktards! I have the right of way!!! :steam:

Smile The Sunshine of the Enlightenment

It's a no-brainer.

Every time we read of a gun massacre in the USA we say, "It's the guns". But no matter how many times we say it, they tell us, "It's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people".

For instance, just three days ago in Oz we had a fit, capable middle-aged man go on killing spree.

And although he managed to put a couple of people in hospital, he managed to kill no one.

And he killed no one because he couldn't get hold of an automatic weapon or a gun of any sort.

If he had lived in the gun culture of the USA, he might have killed 20, 30 or 40 people and we would have read about it in the newspapers. But instead no Australian was killed in our latest killing spree, and you are reading about it in an obscure thread in an obscure forum.

But I tell you, the more I read, the more I see a dark, gothic element in the USA.

Thank God I live in the sunshine of the Enlightenment.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

While I'm for gun control, as it works well if properly handled... despite the silly belief that "well criminals can still get them easily!", most of them really CAN'T. The average druggie on the street can't get ahold of a semi automatic weapon in most properly controlled countries.

That being said, the chicago ruling is... well stupid.

Try to control a single city all yeu want, it won't happen when they can take a 2 hour drive and pick up the same high end weaponry they could before. It might make spur of the moment killings of passion less common, but that's about it, really.

If yeu want to control guns, it has to be a comprehensive one across the entire country, not just a single little island in a sea of weapons.

In any case, how many attempted robberies are actually STOPPED by someone having a gun to 'defend themselves with'? Virtually none. Most home invasions occur during the day when noone's at home, and usually the thieves call ahead to check if anyone's home. On the street, a mugger generally will catch yeu from behind or when yeu don't have the ability to even pull out a gun, and if they think yeu have one, it's more likely they'll 'disable' yeur chance of shooting at them by killing yeu. On the off chance yeu DO come face to face with a mugger or thief, chances are that yeur hands will be trembling, and yeu'll have a hard time even pulling the trigger. Trained SOLDIERS have only about a 1 in 3 chance of actually firing AT other people... most will either not fire at all, or fire only vaguely in the other's direction and can't bring themselves to actually kill a live individual.

Overall, chances are that yeu just flat out will not be present, will not have the ability to access yeur gun, or won't be able to use it effectively so that yeu can actually hurt anyone with it. Even IF yeu hit someone with it, chances are even greater that it'll just be clipping an arm or maybe their waist, or some other non-immediate death area, and even if that hurts like hell, unlike tv where people flop over in tears, when yeu're in a life and death situation and get shot, there's a good enough possibility yeu'll not even feel the pain for a few moments, usually long enough to get into range and remove the weapon or offending shooter.

Guns are not likely to save yeu in a hostile situation, as much as yeu'd like to think so.

Even so, it's an all or nothing thing. If it's all, like the states, it can be a deterrent... some who would commit crimes may be scared to do so; though it can also mean they may be more violent because they'll have bigger weapons available, and may kill when they didn't need to simply out of fear yeu MIGHT have a gun and try to shoot them when they turn to run away.

The none works quite well... if it's properly enforced. Considering the states' mentality? I highly doubt that'll ever happen. They're still scared that the 'redcoats are coming!' so will have far too many illegal dealers. In a heavily restrictive area, the only place yeu're going to find heavy munitions like automatic rifles, available to criminals, is going to be black market stuff, that the average thief isn't going to have access to. Sure, yeu might see an organized crime syndicate carrying automatics, but they'll generally reserve those for shooting at people who also carry big guns. They're not likely to send the mafia downtown to mow down random people. Nor would yeur pistol really save yeu from a drive by spray-and-pray shooting anyway.

So anyways... total gun control can work well, but it depends on how well it's enforced, and how well the general populace is willing to support it. If a large number of random individuals won't help with it, then it'll just cause problems. Same thing, if it's just one small are, like chicago... it's not going to work. There's too many other places nearby where weapons can be gotten just as easily.

It's a waste of time and money and will have negligible impact overall. I can't see it really helping prevent much of anything, to be honest.

Epiphany

These gun debates never go anywhere, but since we're sharing stories:

[YOUTUBE="oPYu4Mu2dto"]Man's Shooting Spree Thwarted by Armed Citizen[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's a no-brainer.

Every time we read of a gun massacre in the USA we say, "It's the guns". But no matter how many times we say it, they tell us, "It's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people".

For instance, just three days ago in Oz we had a fit, capable middle-aged man go on killing spree.

And although he managed to put a couple of people in hospital, he managed to kill no one.

And he killed no one because he couldn't get hold of an automatic weapon or a gun of any sort.

If he had lived in the gun culture of the USA, he might have killed 20, 30 or 40 people and we would have read about it in the newspapers. But instead no Australian was killed in our latest killing spree, and you are reading about it in an obscure thread in an obscure forum.

But I tell you, the more I read, the more I see a dark, gothic element in the USA.

Thank God I live in the sunshine of the Enlightenment.
    What did he try to kill people with, Victor?
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

The best argument for supporting private firearm ownership:

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

-Thomas Jefferson

But yeah, gun control arguments on the internet never go anywhere and usually degenerate into pointless bickering.